• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[DWYP-Safe]Gay Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Alright, then we're back to square one:

Incestuous marriage poses a clear detriment to society. Homosexual marriage doesn't. Therefore: The legalization of homosexual marriage is clearly more viable and less harmful than the legalization of incestuous marriage.

If you disagree, first please explain what relevant similarity between gay marriage and incestuous marriage you see, besides that you believe them both to be immoral/objectionable/unlawful.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
I would like to add that homosexual male couples make more income and therefore pay more taxes on average than their heterosexual counterparts.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
One that's substance abuse, which is completely different from incestuous polygamous marriages. Smoking and drinking are inherently self-detrimental, but they don't inherently cause harm to others; we do however outlaw dangerous drugs that cause harm to others and society. Two, children are prohibited from smoking and drinking, and unhealthy eating to the point where it causes physical problems (or psychological ones) are classified as eating disorders.
I'm fairly certain that Tera's point, although jumbled by her ineloquence, was referring to in-utero damage to children before birth.

Then again, I'm fairly certain that there are laws preventing that as well.

Sandy

Smash Champion
Homosexual are wanting the same rights as us. Burning in hell is one step. Even those who love the sinner while hating the sin, do not necessarily think gays are halfway down the road to incest. Some believe the word 'marriage' can mean whatever you want. The Vatican asks us to stand up for the politically incorrect truth. Our society has the responsibility and the right to discourage the practice of homosexuality.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
You may burn in hell as you wish, I see nothing wrong with homosexuals or the act of homosexuality.

To call from a so-called moral high ground is repugnant. Nature itself shows a myriad of instances of homosexual behavior. Anyone one who grew up on a farm could probably point out a case or two.

Trying to force your beliefs on others is the domain of the tyrant and the conclusion will be the same as the crusades or inquisitions.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Homosexual are wanting the same rights as us. Burning in hell is one step. Even those who love the sinner while hating the sin, do not necessarily think gays are halfway down the road to incest. Some believe the word 'marriage' can mean whatever you want. The Vatican asks us to stand up for the politically incorrect truth. Our society has the responsibility and the right to discourage the practice of homosexuality.
Dude i hate to break it to you, but Homosexual people... are people. Now lets take a step back and think here. Not everyone here is as Neo-Christian as you so please try and keep this to a minimum, i happen to find much of this very insulting considering i have a homosexual friend who has recently came out.

Anyways, this is not a religious debate since unfortunately for you, although the "sanctity of marriage" in a church can still be governed by religion, states should have no choice but to allow the union of the two men or women. In today's ever changing times you must appease the changed general public, homosexuality isn't as taboo as it was back then (which even then was a sad thing to fight over but i digress) and it shouldn't be considered a hush operation in which your not allowed to let them have the basic rights of marriage along with their rightfully gained marriage certificate. The union of two men although not necessarily "sacred" is still a basic right that should be granted to all American Citizens regardless of orientation.

As for you saying that society has the responsibility and the right to discourage the practice of homosexuality i can say nothing but the fact that your ignorance absolutely disgusts me. You have said nothing to prove any sort of facts besides that you hate homosexual people because of your religion.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Name one negative consequence of homosexuality that would be made better by eradicating it.

McCloud

je suis l'agent du chaos.
"So foul and f-air a day I have not seen.&quo
@SandTiger:

First off... the Vatican asking you to stand up for a politically incorrect truth is fallacious. You're not in the Vatican City, where homosexuality would be politically incorrect. You're in the United States, where the Vatican does not control the government. Thus it is not politically incorrect to give people the rights that they deserve.

Secondly: hell might not even exist. :p

Zephyr

Smash Lord
This is why I don't bring my beliefs into the debate hall. >_>

I believe in Christianity, the resurrection, the whole package. Now, as for gay marriage in the United States...

I think it should be legal.

The US is not ruled by the Church (I would hope so, at least), therefore its morals/laws should not be the same as the church. It should be noted that a country's morals is basically represented by its laws. The US of A was founded as a place of freedom, and that intent of freedom is being stunted by many lawmakers. If we take away those freedoms, then we take away the point of America's existence. This isn't so much a huge issue as it is a matter of principle for the United States. If the only "valid" argument against the union of homosexuals is based on Christian beliefs, then it should be made legal. It's considered wrong in this country to impose one's beliefs on others.

Just thought I might get it out there that the sides here are not as solid as some might think.

Sandy

Smash Champion
I used to be quite the gay basher in my younger, high school days. After some time and a few surprises I've calmed down quite a bit now. I don't think homosexuals are going to go to hell because of their sexual preference. I don't speak for them but from what I've observed a majority of them aren't exactly religious to begin with. I don't think they care what God thinks of them because the church has already turned them down to begin with. It's a little hard to speak with God when you can't get past the front door. Let them do what they want I say, so long as they don't adopt kids and get rid of the vulgar floats they use during Pride Day I could really care less.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Why do you have something against gay people? Just because your religion says so? Because trust me, they're no different from me and you. Only difference is their sexual preferences, but that's different between us (you and me) too, say you like blonds more and I like brunettes more.

SandTiger said:
I used to be quite the gay basher in my younger, high school days. After some time and a few surprises I've calmed down quite a bit now. I don't think homosexuals are going to go to hell because of their sexual preference. I don't speak for them but from what I've observed a majority of them aren't exactly religious to begin with. I don't think they care what God thinks of them because the church has already turned them down to begin with. It's a little hard to speak with God when you can't get past the front door. Let them do what they want I say, so long as they don't adopt kids and get rid of the vulgar floats they use during Pride Day I could really care less.
What? So you say they're going to hell because they don't believe in God? Well, good thing for them, they don't believe in hell either, so it doesn't exist for them =]. And why aren't they allowed to adopt kids?

Obikun

Smash Apprentice

Personally SandTiger, I think your approach towards this problem is a little "immature" in the sense that when you speak of your belief againts gay marriage, your opinions are being based only on what religion and the goverment says instead on thinking about the moral problems that are affected this problem. I think this is a good time to use a story I read a couple of months ago and try to discuss if the goverment is doing the right think in negating gay couples the priviledge that is adopting a homeless child or not.

Internet source said:
A young boy named Bert Lofton who lives in the state of Florida is with the only family he knows. In a family of 5 children and 2 parents who are gay. Roger and Steve, also known to their children as “Dad and Rodge.” All kids are tested positive to AIDS, except recently Bert, who until just recently is suffering with the law of no kids being allowed to be adopted by gay/ lesbian parents. The state is currently trying to find a new family for Bert. Meanwhile in the state of Florida alone there are well over 3,000 children who are in foster homes. Waiting for people to adopt them.
Is there any justice in this? There are thousands of children waiting to be adopted, but yet the state is focusing on finding a NEW home for a child who is already happily adopted by two loving people. Clearly you can see that many of the goverments (and religious groups) are approaching this problem in a very bad why and, although I know I am bringing a rather serious example of this problem, what I want to point out is the fact that if the goverment and religion is to argue over gay couples adopting kids, they should concentrated more on the children who are still waiting for two mature and loving parents to adopt them, instead of arguing if gay couples should adopt kids or not.

Why take a child from the only home he's known his whole life just because his parents are gay? Immorality and stupidity I tell you. People fight over the fact that gay people shouldn't have the same rights as "normal people", but you know what? They are people like us too. They love, they hated, they're the same. So why speak of the like they are some other species when in fact we are all the same, just that they have different taste in sexual preference. We should all think about that and find a way to STOP this stupid and idiotic problem and start thinking on other, more serious problems in society, like how religion is changing and controlling how we think, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom