• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duster from Earthbound 2?

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Duster would be one of the coolest characters. He fights with his legs like so, if you see this fanart I found:

I don't know who drew it, but it's way too awesome for words. Thats Duster at the bottom left corner. I See him fighting a lot like that. Heres some B moves:

-------------------

B moves for Duster:

Bneutral: Siren Beetle - Duster holds up a screaming beetle. As it screams, enemies that are close on all sides are turned around, as if hit by Mario's cape.

Bup: Rope Snake - If you've played Mother 3, you know what he does. He pulls out his rope snake whip and jumps a third time while swinging the snake whip in front and above him. If he hits another character with the snake he will grab them and kick off of them somewhat like C. Falcon's UpB. If he hits a person with the attack, he can then perform the attack again. Perhaps it's possible to "chaingrab" with the Snake Rope at low %s. If the snake grabs a ledge, he will be saved like with Link's hookshot or Samus' grapple beam.

Bdown: Smoke Bomb - Duster throws down a smokebomb. The smoke cloud that appears is a little larger than Bowser's size. Any enemies caught in the smoke cloud begin to take damage and a minimal Knock back, sort of like the Wheezing in the Pokeball. If the move is used in the air, he will throw the bomb straight downwards. Being hit by the bomb itself causes fair damage and a little Knockback. At low %, its possible to be hit by the bomb and then caught in the smoke. The smoke lasts a second or two.

Bforeward: Wall Staples - Duster gives a great thrust foreward with his Ladder Rungs. If he hits an opponent, the enemy will be paralized in a manner more or less like DK's Foreward, Frozen and stuck to the ground.

Super: Desperado Crush Mambo Combo - Duster puts on that Afro and grabs his Bass guitar. The rest of his band appears next to him and begins throwing around Musical notes in all directions like the ones that appear in the battles of Mother 3.

Taunt: Duster pulls out his Bass Guitar and gives it a strum.

---------------

Thoughts? If a Flint topic could get off the ground, so could a Duster one.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I like it, judging from Earthbound/Mother 2 Duster must be a unique character.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Is he a kicking-only fighter? Like, say, Sanji from One Piece? If so, I'm like this suggestion (I didn't know Earthbound had so many cool character!), even though his chances are very slim.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
That's a pretty kick*** picture, by the looks of this moveset, he sounds uniqe and , though Lucas would probably get the spot of a Mother 3 character, but Duster sounds more intresting.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
Duster is cool, I support this topic.
Lucas, Flint, Duster & Kumatora vs. Ness, Paula, Jeff & Poo. Who will get the Brawl spot? My choices are:
-Lucas
-Flint
-Ness
-Duster
I didn't include Claus cuz he is a very spoilerific character, I've heard.

GenG

Smash Lord
Duster is pretty unique, ala Jeff in Mother 2/Earthbound. I support Kumatora too, and I like Lucas a lot but his moves are the same as the other heros (Ness, Ninten/Ken).

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Chidosengan said:
Is he a kicking-only fighter? Like, say, Sanji from One Piece? If so, I'm like this suggestion (I didn't know Earthbound had so many cool character!), even though his chances are very slim.
Too bad one peice SUCKS.

Rash

Smash Ace
Most/All 4kids shows suck (besides the first season of Pokemon). That's the truth. Anyone willing to disagree should be castrated.

4kids is notorious for ruining good shows.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
So wait. 4kids make shows, but they're bad. Then how are those shows good?

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Oh, I see. Thanks, things usually need to be dumbed down for me to understand them ;).

Rash

Smash Ace
4 kids kills much of the appeal of some of the best anime shows. I enjoyed the dubbed Pokemon, but watching it in original Japanese just shows you how they get they're hands on things and not only dub the dialogue (so that it's mediocre) but actually take out some of the best scenes in the show. You'd be surprised; they actually took out the amusingly graphic sexual relationship between Jessie and James. ;)

Oh wait, that's the point. It's "4 (for) kids." Regardless, they still kill some of the show's appeal. And that's only one example.

Back on topic. I have yet to actually play Earthbound 2/Mother 3, but it's definitely on my list. For now, all I can say is that, from what I've seen, Duster is actually a very unique character who definitely deserves a place in SSBB. However, his only chances are if either Lucas or Flint is also put in.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
I do envision him a lot like Sanji, but of course, he's his own character. For one thing, he has a limp in-game, but still fights by Kicking.

Also, as to his chances. Flint has a worst chance than Duster, because he is actually quite minor in the M3 plot. Lucas has a pretty good chance, because of he status as a "Main character." This is marred by the fact that he is essentially the same as Ness, right down to the T-shirt. I think Duster has a very good chance to get in, even if the only other Earthbound character in Brawl is Ness. Having a Main character from a popular, loved game in both America and the US, and one secondary character from a game that is unknown in the US and very popular in Japan would work for Sakurai's vision(Characters and series that have seen both sides of the pond), and work to ensure an American relese for EB2.

I want you to keep two things in mind:

1. Duster and Ness are two characters belonging to one series.

2. Mother 3 is very well-known and quite popular in Japan.

The only prerequisite for Duster getting in is Ness' continiued participation.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
dotdotdot! said:
I do envision him a lot like Sanji, but of course, he's his own character. For one thing, he has a limp in-game, but still fights by Kicking.

Also, as to his chances. Flint has a worst chance than Duster, because he is actually quite minor in the M3 plot. Lucas has a pretty good chance, because of he status as a "Main character." This is marred by the fact that he is essentially the same as Ness, right down to the T-shirt. I think Duster has a very good chance to get in, even if the only other Earthbound character in Brawl is Ness. Having a Main character from a popular, loved game in both America and the US, and one secondary character from a game that is unknown in the US and very popular in Japan would work for Sakurai's vision(Characters and series that have seen both sides of the pond), and work to ensure an American relese for EB2.

I want you to keep two things in mind:

1. Duster and Ness are two characters belonging to one series.

2. Mother 3 is very well-known and quite popular in Japan.

The only prerequisite for Duster getting in is Ness' continiued participation.
Man dont hate Flint. Maybe Flint doesnt have a big role in Mother 3. But you start the game with him, he is the first one that gets involved into the story. And he is a cowboy with a plank, which is as cool as a kicking dude with wall staples. I say both have almost equal chances to get in (winning Duster by a bit), but thats my opinion.

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Another great idea from dotdotdot! Another Earthbound character is(like another Metroid character) almost unavoidable. And I like the idea of seeing Duster in it: He sounds like a good character and since Ness worked out quite good, I won't doubt about this guy.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tomasiarity said:
Man dont hate Flint. Maybe Flint doesnt have a big role in Mother 3. But you start the game with him, he is the first one that gets involved into the story. And he is a cowboy with a plank, which is as cool as a kicking dude with wall staples. I say both have almost equal chances to get in (winning Duster by a bit), but thats my opinion.
He also basically disappears after the first chapter, wheras you have control of Duster for the majority of the game. I don't hate Flint, I just like the other characters better.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I like it because he is proberly the most unique out of the others I have seen so far and they are pretty unique. I like how this game doesn't focus around PSI/PK magic stuff and just uses real stuff like kicking or rope or wood it makes a great and uniqe character I say DUSTER FOR SSBB AFTER PAULA

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
Lucas has a pretty good chance, because of he status as a "Main character." This is marred by the fact that he is essentially the same as Ness, right down to the T-shirt
Whoah, let's not go that far with the comparison. It's true that Lucas essentially learns most of the same stuff as Ness but I can see ways around it. However he doesn't have THAT much in common with Ness. Sure, he's got a similiar T-shirt but I see no cap or backpack. And while there are some bats you can equip on him, they aren't Lucas' primary weapon. Lucas mostly uses just plain sticks and rods. I can see them giving him PSI from outside of Mother 3 if not stuff Kumatora uses. A few people want Ninten for some reason so just lift a few Mother 1 attacks from that and mix them up with PSI that Ness isn't already using in Smash.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Guess what? Duster is an awesome character from an awesome game, and this topic deserves a hundred posts. Also, the translation at Mother3.org is coming along nicely. They are racing Starmen.net for the first to release a translation.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Duster = Win + Clark Gable moustache =P

I absolutely love this idea, as I do any other Mother 3 characters. Sadly, Duster's probably not very high on the picking list for that game. It'll probably be Lucas, Claus, or Kumatora if anybody. Still, Duster would rock. ^.^

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Duster = Win + Clark Gable moustache =P

I absolutely love this idea, as I do any other Mother 3 characters. Sadly, Duster's probably not very high on the picking list for that game. It'll probably be Lucas, Claus, or Kumatora if anybody. Still, Duster would rock. ^.^
I think he at least has a better or equal chance to Claus or Kumatora. You never actually play as Claus, and Duster is on completely equal terms with Kuma. Lucas might trip this up, but thats only if they decide to put him in instead of Ness (which I hope they don't do). I'd go as far as to say that Duster's chances are actually incredibly good.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Guess what? Duster is an awesome character from an awesome game, and this topic deserves a hundred posts. Also, the translation at Mother3.org is coming along nicely. They are racing Starmen.net for the first to release a translation.
That's good enough reason for me. I say yes to Duster.

Too bad one peice SUCKS.
On 4kids TV, the original is actually very cool. And you spelled Piece wrong :p

Komayto

Smash Apprentice
SUPPORTAGE'D!

Duster is a great character. I liked him from the very moment they introduced him. The cutscene of Boney running to his house in the rain and dragging him to the mountain is one of my favorite cutscenes in any video game ever. He is a nice and unique character and I'd love it if he was in Brawl.

When it comes to Mother 3 characters, I think he's my pick. Lucas is just a bit too Ness-like for my tastes (not that I don't like Ness, but you know what I mean), Flint is not very major, Kumatora... Eh, I don't know about her. She would be cool, but I don't really care as much about her as I do about the other characters. Claus would be awesome, but I think the spoiler would be a little bit too major.

Actually, I'd be happy if any Mother 3 character would make it in. That game is pure awesomeness. Duster would be my pick tough.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
I think he at least has a better or equal chance to Claus or Kumatora. You never actually play as Claus, and Duster is on completely equal terms with Kuma. Lucas might trip this up, but thats only if they decide to put him in instead of Ness (which I hope they don't do). I'd go as far as to say that Duster's chances are actually incredibly good.
Agreed. What I was basing my claim on was the ones that Sakurai actually finds interesting. Lucas, Claus, and Kumatora all apperead at least once on the Toukoken (twice each for Lucas and Claus). Duster didn't. So that's why I thnk Duster may not be on the top of the list.

Not that I don't want him to be...

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hello Duster thread! Welcome back to the front page. I just want to call attention to an absolutely awesome Gif that was in one of the many fine Signatures gracing this dear board, and I said to myself, "Self, I think that is exactly how Duster should fight." And so, here we are.

The gif is of Sanji, from the anime, One Piece. Ignore the cigarette. Duster doesn't smoke.

Isn't the cool? You've basically got a basic combo, and perhaps a couple smash-attacks in there. Add his gadgets and thief skills to his B moves and it looks like Duster should fight.

Awesome. Thanks to Black/Light, for having this gif in his Sig.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If that's how you think Duster would be in Brawl, then he has my support! =) I haven't played Mother 3 yet, I'm still searching for a site where I can downl-errr I mean BUY Mother 3... ;)

Anyways, I've got a question about the game's fighting system... Is it the same as in Earthbound, or do you see the characters actually hitting each other? I'm fine with Earthbound's system, but I was just curious.

Komayto

Smash Apprentice
Nice picture, ...! He'd be an awesome character if he fought like that.

Anyways, I've got a question about the game's fighting system... Is it the same as in Earthbound, or do you see the characters actually hitting each other? I'm fine with Earthbound's system, but I was just curious.
Eh, it's pretty much the same, except for the additition of a music-based combo system.

There are lots of different battle themes, just like in the previous Mother games. Each one of those themes has its own beat and if you attack the enemy and then hit the button again to the beat, you'll inflict some slight extra damage. The combo limit is 16.
It's not necessary to master the combos, but it's always nice to do some additional damage. I personally mastered only one song that appears just once in the entire game, but I still didn't have much trouble going through the game.

Top Bottom