• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duck Hunt; worth playing?

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
So lately, I've been feeling great with my play of Pit. After 3 months of playing mainly Pit, I feel like I can be on par with others locally as well as around the top 2 thirds of FG. Maybe. The question now, is, who backs him up?

I've narrowed it down to 4 potential secondaries: Ness, Mega Man, Duck Hunt, and Shulk. Of course I like playing all four, but I don't know which one I want to play at a semi-competitive level.

You being DH players, please tell me: what do they have over the other two that makes him exciting to play and worth putting time into? Is DH worth playing?

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Intricate traps, mindgames and a unique playstyle. But I feel like Ness would better cover your bases.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
DHD is confirmed for E tier DON'T BOTHER

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Here's the thing, I'm not actually gonna dissuade you from subbing DHD, but just be wary if you do so. Don't get me wrong, he's worth playing and worth putting time in to, put you really need patience and you need to put in a lot of time. You gotta learn the set-ups, you gotta learn your KO tools, you gotta learn your combos, you gotta learn what's safe and what's unsafe, and you gotta learn your MUs, you can't throw yourself into DHD and expect down-throw in to a million aerials.

He's really fun to play as though, you feel like you're trapping your opponent with all the projectiles, and when things go your way, it feels good.

As outfoxd said, Ness would probably cover your bases, and he's super easy to play once you've got the recovery down and you get used to grab set-ups. Mega Man is definitely cool, but I'd see him as a character that needs more dedication, since glide tosses are pretty important while difficult to do and it's difficult to get the KO. Shulk seems like the odd one out, you got 3 characters with strong projectile zoning options then the guy with the big sword, but still, once you learn the Monado arts, he's fairly simple.

And if you're talking about that voting tier list, that's got as much credibility as EventHubs, he was thrown in to E tier unfairly and when it came round to voting for E-tiers, he was talked about by like two people. I'd say he's high D tier/low C tier, which is good considering there's over 50 characters.

Ninetale3

Smash Cadet
The main advantage with duck hunt is given enough time to setup. He can fit to just about any playstyle. However, in terms of a secondary to pit. I can't recommend. Pit and The trio just don't have much synergy. Plus, Duck hunt requires quite some time and dedication to remotely be played competitively. Like others have said, Ness seems to be the best secondary for you for reasons stated above.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
It depends. If your only interest whatsoever in Smash bros is winning then you might wanna just go with an easier character like Ness. But if you are as enthralled by DH's can set-up possibilities as i am then he is definitely worth it. You'll work twice as hard for your wins as you would with other characters but if you're enjoying yourself then it doesn't really matter. I recommend Quick Draw Aces (down b 2) for breaking up the momentum of rushdown characters and Mega Gunman (down b 3) for the ones that spam projectiles.

UPDATE: I've been tinkering around with DH's Zigzag Shot (neutral b 3) and it's a major game-changer for him. DH with zigzag is even more wonky than he is with the default but it may actually be more effective. I say give the zigzag a go before giving up on DH since it may change your mind about him - that is if your unsatisfied with default DH.

I think my grandma voted on that tier list. lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom