• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duck Hunt sure is a hard character to use...

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
But I love it! I've been using Duck Hunt a lot since the 3ds, although I never played that much for glory on the 3ds. But he is such a hard and tricky character to learn and use, other than Pac-Man and whoever else. I've done so many battles with him and I'm still trying to learn, I always have a disadvantage towards fast speedy characters or characters with reflectors, so I'm trying to learn on how to deal with them. Heavy characters are no problem since I can deal with them, unless the person using them is really good.
I've lost so many battles with Duck Hunt and won a few. For Duck Hunt it's all about practice and learning, Sure I lose a lot, but at least I learn from my mistake. This is why I love using Duck Hunt a lot. I'm getting somewhat more good with him but still need more practice. So glad he's in this game.

That's my take on Duck Hunt. Very glad I chose him as my Main.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
I feel like Duck Hunts learning curve is so awesome, i'm glad that even tho you lose a lot you can tell that you're learning and getting better, thats what its all about. It's new people like you that enter the boards that help grow the Duck Hunt community

Ninetale3

Smash Cadet
Good to hear another Duck Hunt main. May your journey be filled with amusement as noobs rage at you. I you like, here is some tips for reflector characters from my experience.

With the Exceptions of the marios. Reflector characters have some end lag on their reflect options. You can use the gunman to bait out reflectors and lock them in to maintaining their reflect or shielding with a overhead can. This gives you free rein to punish with whatever you like outside of smashes. They might eat the can to prevent the smashes hitting. Also reflector characters zone breakers have decent end lag on them. This can make tilts really worthwhile in these matchups as they are fast to come out.

Again this is from my experience and might not be accurate.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
DHD is so much fun to play as... especially with cans. I feel like I'm getting better at controlling cans... dash attacks... hitting them with the duck to send them flying forward... hitting them with the dog to send them flying backward... up tilt to send them flying straight up... and then shooting them... making them stop flying or reversing their flight paths.

Roy Renard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-2716-4113
A good Duck Hunt, in my opinion, is so fun (and funny) to watch, despite what popular opinions say: that it's a campy character and is boring to watch and use. Good Duck Hunts are always spawning stuff and moving around in smart ways (not only rolling, like noob Duck Hunts do), so I find his wacky animations and gameplay quite entertaining. Characters with reflectors are somewhat tricky to play around with, but I usually find our down B our best ally when facing them. They are awesome to control space, bait, apply pressure and condition their movement and options. Bringing out a gunman can force them to stay in shield, so it's a free grab for you; it can force them to bring out their reflector, so it's a free f-air/b-air or even a grab for your. It can force them to jump, so, if predicted and timed well, it's a free airborne side-B, a can or a f-air/b-air. Or they can also be forced to roll, so just predict their direction and punish accordingly. Of course, the ability needed to foresee and apply all these options adequately is what makes mastering this character so hard, but in the end it's extremely worthy to take games from top tiers while being loyal to a character that you actually like.
Enjoy the Duck Hunt experience!

Last edited:

BADz

Smash Rookie
NNID
BADz777
3DS FC
3668-9713-9424
The truth is, DHD is more of an experimental character who's playstyle is based off of knowledge of his moves and setups rather than true combos and a fixed playstyle. I had trouble trying to ko because of his inability to go in a kill, but it's an experimental thing.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Looking judiciously for sweetspot Nairs when I can't set up uairs has been working a charm for helping my kill count.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
It usually helps me better in a match when I don't worry about finishing off my opponent and continue to play Duck Hunt's game. Things work out and I find myself killing earlier and not making mistakes.

Top Bottom