• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duck Hunt Stage Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
You know, I've noticed a lot of people Strike FD against me when I'm duck hunt, so naturally for a while I tried taking people there most. But personally I think it isn't that great for DHD.

I've noticed stages with low platforms really help, and help protect our position since people are forced into aerial approaches often, and platforms make it both more difficult and failure more punishing.

Lylat cruise is probably our best neutral. With Battlefield being our second, brawl smashville our third.

*Battlefield demands some awareness of the can getting stuck on the top platform, since it generally doesn't help up there at all. Both ledges just go back down to the other platforms when shot again, so it's a pain getting the can back into neutral

People seem think "projectiles, oh I need platforms to stay away from them" But DHD's can is more versatile than that. It can still pressure them from below while you pressure from the side.

The top platform is a net loss mostly, the can getting stuck up there is awful. You'd definitely need to avoid letting that happening, but it isn't too hard once you're used to it. (not saying not to let it lay there, but if it does when you're chasing, get it back down asap)

FD, and new smashville really provide nothing for us other than a clear field. I don't think DHD is a stage control type character in the vein of diddy, or snake. He's much more technical and versatile.

The platforms on new smashville hurt A LOT. The can gets stuck up there often, and provides actually beneficial positions to avoid DHD's projectile game.

Our worst CPs are pretty much anything but delfino.

Castle siege simply for the statue portion. We simply don't have the speed to camp it out.

Duck hunt for similar, less radical but more consistent threatening of our stage control. The ducks cause the can to explode prematurely, the dog moves our crap around, and the platforms don't really benefit us at all. Having flat edges also makes our recovery more predictable and easy to gimp.

Kongo just cause the higher platforms actually provide protection from our projectiles, and the middle ones are too unreliable to make use of. It's possible it's better for us than other characters though.

Delfino is imo an amazing duck hunt stage. The only somewhat problematic portions, are the beginning one for the can, and the 3 rock platform and water portion. Though it's easier to make that platform the new neutral battleground, and there's extreme risk/reward with the can up there due to absurdly low top blastzones.

And for the rock/water portion, the issue is that with DHD's slow recovery between the rocks, he's pretty easy to spike to death or at least combo. Luckily, the can takes up a massive portion of each rock and the gunmen/frisbee can harass opponents on others. I think just camping this portion is the best option.

On the flat / walkoff portions, DHD's walls of pain get stronger with no ledge to hide behind, and can lead to kills.
His throw and clay shot to fair combos are very horizontal in knockback, and send opponents into panic mode due to the wall of pain DHD has turning into a wall of death even at low percents. The can becomes insanely potent at certain points, killing as soon as 80-100% while non-rage.

What do you guys think? Any stages you like? I noticed guy took Boss to Duck hunt in winner's finals, and he did pretty well there so maybe he thinks there's potential for us there.

Last edited:

Spirst

I find can traps to be useful in battlefield if you have them situated near the ledge. Example, you can have one on the right side of the left platform that'll pop to the right. People generally seem to forget the Can can still be shot and fall for the bait.

I personally find FD to be a lot more matchup dependent overall than the other neutrals. Vs other zoning characters like Mega Man/Link, there's not a lot of room for setting up traps as everything is pretty straightforward and this definitely has a big effect on how DH plays.

I haven't tried Delfino Plaza but I am curious as to how DH does on PS2. Neutral transformation strikes me as a BF-esque stage without the annoying top platform but I'm not too sure on the viability of the rest.

That said, don't we have this thread which includes a stage discussion element?: http://smashboards.com/threads/sic-em-duck-hunt-mus-and-stage-discussion.379294/

I'm not certain which one I'll keep just yet. It makes it jumbling to have two threads with the same utility so if this one gets more discussion, I'll make this the official stage discussion.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Oh, that one must've slipped by me when I searched since it said MUs too.

I mean it's obviously more in-depth so I'll just try to help Wispy with that thread and some updates. Matchups and stages should be together, anyway imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom