• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duck hunt pointers?

Fenomonal

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 0308 7709 8101
Hey Duck fam, I just picked The Doge up after trial and error of trying to find a main and needless to say i love his kit. I'm curious if anyone has some pointers to help improve my game. Im still fairly new to smash but i feel im not terrible? What should i be working on in Training mode, online and just in general? Thanks.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Is Duck Hunt Really such an underused character that one person asking for help doesn't really get much of it?

I'd Love to help but I Haven't used DH Much In Ultimate and can't really say much aside from consistently use the clay pigeon and always remember the wild gunmen(because there are times where they can be good for a distraction)

I Don't really know where Duck Hunt's mindset is in Ultimate so again don't really know what to say

NGW

Smash Cadet
I'm still trying to get to grips with him in Ultimate. He's been one of my mains since last time around, and while I still perform well enough, the changes made do make it feel a bit off, mostly the clay pigeon nerf.

gr33nsl33v3s

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6080-4024-4064
Certain matchups the duo will wreck the opposition due to their overwhelming range and tactical advantage. Characters from Fire Emblem cry to the BarkQuackBoom Squad.
1. Can, Disk, Gunman.
2. If Disk lands, run in and side tilt
2A. If Disk and Gunman misses or they dodge, pressure with can.
3. Usually characters that give the squad trouble (personally) are Ganondorf, K.K.Rool and in general heavies and fast reflectors like Zelda and the furry fox team.
4. Characters like Isabelle, Villager and Kirby will try and recycle your projectiles, but if you mix it up and utilize gunmen enough, they too will fall.
5. One of the strongest tools in the kit is remembering that running away and quickly turnsmashing into an opponent catching people off-guard 75% of the time.
6. Another strong tactic is nair is nearly uncancellable and breaks almost everyone mid-air.
7. Finally, dropping cans at the right moment to edgeguard is VERY important against certain match ups. Specifically Inkling, K.K.Rool, the furries and Belmonts
8. DH gets best match-ups off of characters with BIG hitboxes so they can land their specials, but can suffer against really high-level opponents whop play heavies that can kill early if you don't rack up enough % (Looking at you DK) Small and fast targets like Pichu and Pika can be tough too
9. At the end of the day, nothing is more rewarding than winning with the quacker and the pooch, but even if you lose... You're probably cuter lol.

P.S. A high-level Mario/Dr. Mario is a nightmare for DH because of that damn cape. Practice against the CPU ALOT.

Last edited:

Fenomonal

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 0308 7709 8101
Been trying to work on combo game a little with clay pigeon. I feel when i play the DH i have to play a slower game almost.

gr33nsl33v3s

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6080-4024-4064
Throw pidgeon, if it lands, run in side tilt poke with duck, they'll get knocked into the air. If it's a heavy like K.Rool, Bowser or DK, I usually stand my ground and followup with a can since they wont fly too far and they are a big target to blow up, if they are medium jump and up tilt the duck to poke (this can kill at certain %s depending on the character but takes practice to time) Last option (that I personally us) is a follow-up short hop in their hurtbox and nair doggy spin which has quick deploy and little lag and will hit tiny hurtboxes like G&W, Pichu and the like and send them flying. You can follow that up with can too. Name of the game is constant offense even though it might seem counter-intuitive to DH's playstyle.

famous_box

Smash Rookie
It is really fun to know how to bounce the can around with attacks and to know all the angles

If you don't know:
Down tilt is the fastest horizantal movement, but f tilt is fine too
Up tilt launches it straight up and can lead into a bair/fair/uair
Dash attack launches it at a 45 degree angle, which is good against airborne opponents
Bair/fair both hit it horizontally, but the parabola drops pretty quick
Up air isn't great, but it can get the can a little higher and kill/force an airdodge
Down air spikes the can, i never really get the chance to use it offstage, but if the can is near the edge of a platform, you can use dair to get it onto the stage, the first hit gets it in the air and off the platform, and the second hit hits it down to the ground
Nair doesn't have that much knockback, so not a great idea for launching the can with
Smash attacks don't do much knockback either if you're grounded tilts will hit it farther
Down b gunman hits at a 45 degree, although not as far as dash attack
Clay pigeon I don't use that much, but if the can is right next to opponent when the pigeon hits it can combo into the can
I think that's everything, I'm not the best dh player, I'm not in elite or anything, but I Think that knocking the can into players is really fun, and the majority of people out there have very little matchup knowledge and don't know how to play against dh
Oh yeah btw the can is active on frame 1 and can get you out of not true combos

Top Bottom