• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duck Hunt Moveset & Gameplay Discussion

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Ok, I take back my previous statement of "indefinately", more like 10-15 secs? Still a good time though. And the can is AMAZING, you can do so much to it. You can plant it to use later, and you always have control since you can always shoot it (and it's enough that it makes contact with an enemy after shooting it, it doesn't need to explode). Or you can use it to edgeguard, firing it of in the distance, and you can change the angle by just letting it drop a bit before starting to shoot again. Or when you approach from of the stage you can also shoot away a can. Or you can plant it in front of you and f-tilt to throw it forward.

These are just the uses I've found so far.

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
DHD looks like he'll be a really fun character to use, and his recovery looks very solid.

PS. His final smash is godlike.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Okay, I updated the OP with a video I just found on YouTube.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Does Duck Hunt have multiple double jumps like Pit and Metaknight?

Please say yes.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I never thought of the reticle as the hunter aiming his shot. Literally blew my mind when I started to think about it.

That's so cool and it makes this guy one of the most innovative newcomers in the game. The character is literally the game Duck Hunt as a Smash Bros. character, which is why he isn't called Dog & Ducks or Duck Hunt Dog.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I never thought of the reticle as the hunter aiming his shot. Literally blew my mind when I started to think about it.

That's so cool and it makes this guy one of the most innovative newcomers in the game. The character is literally the game Duck Hunt as a Smash Bros. character, which is why he isn't called Dog & Ducks or Duck Hunt Dog.
The hunter shooting from the fourth wall was often suggested in the DHD support thread. I was stoked when I first saw the reticle! It's even more awesome when you notice that the hunter makes three shots every time the reticle appears. The original Duck Hunt game allowed you three shots per round.

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice

Actually, the dogs name is Hunt. Think about it. There's a duck and a dog and the character is named Duck Hunt. It's not Duck & Hunt because unlike those characters (Olimar/Rosalina) Duck and Hunt are never separated so they're like one being. Similar to Pokemon Trainer, in the Pokemon world trainers are one with their Pokemon so he wasn't called "Pokemon Trainer & Pokemon" or "... & whoever you selected".

THIS IS MY HEAD CANNON AND I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE THIS!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They could always end up getting a different name in the English release

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Snake Must Pissed that he can't use Weapons Yet....
THIS DOG CAN USE EXPLOSIVES AND SUMMON GUNMAN TO SHOOT AT OPPENENETS?!?!
F*** U SAKURAI

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
Actually, the dogs name is Hunt. Think about it. There's a duck and a dog and the character is named Duck Hunt. It's not Duck & Hunt because unlike those characters (Olimar/Rosalina) Duck and Hunt are never separated so they're like one being. Similar to Pokemon Trainer, in the Pokemon world trainers are one with their Pokemon so he wasn't called "Pokemon Trainer & Pokemon" or "... & whoever you selected".

THIS IS MY HEAD CANNON AND I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE THIS!
Hunt is very close to the nordic word for dog (hund). I used to think back when I was 4 and didn't know any English that his name was "Hunt".

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I've just unlocked all Duck Hunt custom moves, I got to go now but I'll do a write up when I get home and try to get a video clip on YouTube.

But I can happily say that one of the custom Up-B's deals damage, while having slightly smaller range. Also, one of the side-B's is a can you throw *that explodes after pressing B only one time more*. It will definately be useful.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc/b/567970701

01:21:05 and 04:44:32

I can answer mostly any questions. Note that was my first time playing smash 4 on the 3ds so i was really sloppy all around. Though I'm extremely happy with DHD <3

A cool thing we can do, once the US version is out, is to make a community guide. It can consists of everything we find out about DHD as well as how to go about using him.

Last edited:

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
I like his grapple move. DHD holds the opponent with his mouth while the duck skull bashes the opponent repeatedly.

I would also like to request this topic be stickied, so that new Duck Hunt players can easily find this moveset discussion topic.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I've now made a video with all of Duck Hunt's custom moves. It can be found here:

I haven't tested these thoroughly yet (kinda hard when only standard are allowed in For Glory but my initial reactions are:

Neutral B

I feel like all of these could be potentially viable. The 2nd, that explodes fast, is probably the easiest and the best until you get good enough to take advantage of the other ones. The Zig Zag one is interesting since it hits quite a big area and it stays around the same area, with no chance to jump down the ledge that could happen with the normal neutral B.

Side B

I'm going to be bold and say that the standard Side B will be the one to use. After playing lots of online in For Glory I must say it's one of Duck Hunt's best moves. Fast, but still controllable since you decide when to explode and does a lot of damage as well. I don't see the other two being as useful.

Up-B

Here I feel like all three could become viable and possible counter-picks depending on what character the opponent uses. The standard is just a great recovery that ensures that Duck Hunt always makes it back to the stage. The 2nd Up B, that also attacks, gives a good extra coverage attack at the expense of a bit worse recovery, as well as the possibility of not making it back to the stage if you bite an opponent too far below. The final one might be good if the meta shifts towards aggressive edge guarding or against characters who like to edge guard aggresively, as it ensures you get back to the ledge without risk of getting gimped. It is a bit harder to control though, and not as high as the standard Up-B I think.

Down-B

Yeah, this will probably also be a counterpick, but it's too hard to say yet since we haven't fully gone in-depth in what possibilites lie in combining the can with Down-B. My initial reaction is that the last one, with the giant gunmen, probably is the best since it just stops all projectiles but the others are nice against opponents lacking said projectiles. But I don't feel like I want to comment this more at this stage, needs more testing.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
So thankful for GameXplain haha. They always have the best Smash videos imo. His move-set looks great. I really like his neutral special and up special.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Ok, after having played Duck Hunt a lot now I was thinking of posting my initial pro's and con's.

PROS

- Projectile game. Three projectiles: Can and Clay Pigeon are great and Wild Gunman is less so, but has little lag to it and can help with approaching.
- Recovery. Duck Hunt is always getting back to the stage unless ko'd or gimped. Custom moves brings variety as well.
- Decent speed. It's not a Ganondorf, but not a Sheik. But it has the speed it needs.
- Useful smashes. All smashes are quick and strong and possible KO moves. Forward smash in particular has great range.
- Nair is a very good air move, great priority and quick.
- All tilts are decently quick.
- Did I say Cans, Clay Pigeon and Wild Gunman? The potential is huge.

CONS

- There is landing lag on ALL aerial moves. The exception is fair, but you need to jump to move after landing, you won't be able to walk/run for a while. Better than nothing!
- Neutral game is generally lacking range, espescially the tilts.
- No throw is able to kill at a reasonable % as far as I've seen so far.
- Lack of kill moves. Only smashes are going to kill until opponents are 150%+.
- Lack of priority. Nair is great but other than that it's lacking.

I think this is it so far.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Do the normal-sized gunmen block the opponent's projectiles and physical attacks or only the giant gunmen block them? What other purposes can we use with Wild Gunmen besides them shooting at opponents?

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Duck Hunt represented the NES Zapper. That the most brilliant things I could ever see.
Seriously is move-set is amazing, one of the best out there. Even I love R.O.B. more, I think Duck Hunt is the King of Gag characters. I'm really hype for him. The gunman special look kinda useless but, I think I gonna find a trick to use him. escpecially the Giant Gunman, that the one.

Top Bottom