• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

dthrow to up air guaranteed?

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
i've got a few kills by the dthrow to upair combo

but im wondering if it's because it's unavoidable or the opponents just didn't react in time and could easily dodge it

i usually did it when they were about 85-95 percent

worked even against diddy

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Maybe it's character specific, but I've had quite a few opponents jump away before I could pull it off. I don't think it's guaranteed on most of the cast.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
I have found similar results. Against certain characters in certain percent ranges, I do believe it is guaranteed. We just need someone who is willing to test what all of those numbers are against the entire cast, which probably wont happen for a while. But who knows, maybe someone is already working on something like that.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
i would do it if i had some good recording device, someone who would test it with me and the wii u version as that one is preferred and blast zones difference ya know

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
in rage the only followup zelda can do from dthrow somewhat reliably is Uair. but like Nair it has strict timing and people can still escape. i think fast fallers/heavies have a harder time getting away but its not impossible to escape and Zelda has to be almost frame perfect in the follow up to make it happen

UkeNicky

Smash Ace
NNID
UkeNicky
I thought I was the only one that used this xD

Someone told me in another thread around here that this combo "stops working" around kill % but I knew it didn't. Glad to see others with similar results even if it isn't confirmed to be a true combo yet.
I've found that it works on most characters, and is over all probably the best option at that high of kill % off a grab. It's pretty easy to position and perform consistently if you practice it a little bit.
After D throw just hold back+up and perform U air immediately when you go airborne this way you aren't overshooting the U air.
I use it a lot against the CPU and they never seem to get out of it.
I tend to have a harder time doing it online though because of lag, but I've had it work on human players too. Not sure if they just didn't DI properly or not. Someone experienced should test this out >w<

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
thank you all for replies.

i sometimes have to run a bit to position myself and then jump

and even then it seems to connect.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
a little up-date: did a bit of testing today with a real human player and it's guaranteed and unescapable even with DI! but each character has to be at different % so ill test it with every char probably tommorow today not it's new year god damn

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
No it's not guaranteed but people expect the opponent to expect the airdodge which results in no airdodge that finally allows the uair to connect. Might be avoidable altogether with good DI perhaps?

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
No it's not guaranteed but people expect the opponent to expect the airdodge which results in no airdodge that finally allows the uair to connect. Might be avoidable altogether with good DI perhaps?
no, sorry, i tested it thoroughly and it works

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
It is absolutely not guaranteed with proper DI from a human player. A good mix up because if they do expect it an empty jump could trick them into air dodging into the ground.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
nope thrust me it works ^.^

but i only tested jumping because I supposed you can jump at the same time you can air dodge, but if it is possible to airdodge out of hitstun earlier than to jump then it probably is not guaranteed.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Well, I discovered the d-throw to uair combo when I was testing out Zelda to see if I should main her again because she was my #1 in Brawl.

I played around with it and I found out that training mode lists it as a true combo, as well as the d-throw to nair combo. The uair follow up at optimal kill %’s seems like it's only avoidable if the opponent DIs behind Zelda, which can be read and punished with a nair. DI-ing upwards or in front of Zelda appeared to be impossible. But even still it's somehow very weird to pull off as a true combo finisher.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Tested on tournament level players and can be avoided with proper DI. You can keep doing it if it works for you, thats great. I'm telling this to other people so they don't think they are doing something wrong at their next tournament. You can DI far enough away from Zelda to either air dodge in time, or only get hit by a Nair (And probably only one or two hits of it considering how often characters just pop out of it).

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
well, the only DI I tested was taht i told my companion to "just keep holding the stick to the left (means i was facing right) and spam the jump button"

and i still got it, and i only tested on Rosa, Diddy, Zamus and Mario

i believe that is the most you can DI, but if it's possible to Di even more than that...well idk that o.o pls tell me it will really help me

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
(And probably only one or two hits of it considering how often characters just pop out of it).
IDK what's going on for people to fall out of your NAirs.

Aside from still having x0 SDI, it also now even uses auto link hit-boxes. Tbh it's probably her most reliable Multi-hit attack (Tied with Nayru's Love.)

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Tested on tournament level players and can be avoided with proper DI. You can keep doing it if it works for you, thats great. I'm telling this to other people so they don't think they are doing something wrong at their next tournament. You can DI far enough away from Zelda to either air dodge in time, or only get hit by a Nair (And probably only one or two hits of it considering how often characters just pop out of it).
Hey Riot, just wondering what your impression of Zelda in Smash 4 is so far?

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
I have been using this against human players for quite some time now. It's important to watch their DI when going for the combo. Don't try hitting them with an uair if they DI away from you. Depending on their angle; go for a bair or nair instead just to be safe. Nairs are safer because you can't really get punished if you miss.

Also, if you are afraid that your uair will miss because you already screwed up your timing; bait the air dodge instead and you might still get the kill at kill %s.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
im a bit skeptical about the Bair follow up from dthrow. does it really work ive never seen it nor did it :/

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
im a bit skeptical about the Bair follow up from dthrow. does it really work ive never seen it nor did it :/
It's not guaranteed off of straight up Dthrow, you opponent can jump or Airdodge first. BUT, you can try and hard read it off an AD with an empty hop.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
It is guaranteed with sloppy DI but it's usually just a good follow up or air dodge punish.

I usually follow up with a sweetspot bair after a good d-throw to nair. It's good for sneaking in an extra 20% or killing a player after they left their guard down when you drag them off stage towards the blast zone with the nair. Very satisfying if it manages to connect.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
oh you mean like that,my fav combo, i do that sometimes too, starting the match with dhtrow-nair-bair

on chars like donkey kong you can actually do two bairs if you're lucky

and another time i managed to dthrow-nair-nair-nair-dair for the kill on Bowser jr! if of course it's not a true combo but it was very satisfying

Darklightjg1

Smash Rookie
NNID
darklightjg
I always figured if the counter goes up in training, then it can be a true combo and guaranteed if you do it with that timing. It's still possible to catch them with the correct timing if you jump in whatever direction they're going, right?

Last edited:

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Hey Riot, just wondering what your impression of Zelda in Smash 4 is so far?
I don't own the system/game so my experience is extremely limited. I think she is better than she was in brawl in the big scheme of things, but it also (to me) feels like people at Nintendo watched me play and decided that they never wanted Zelda to play like that again... haha. She can't be as defensive as she used to be because of the nerfs they gave some of her moves, but she's overall more viable than her brawl iteration.

On a related note she isn't as good in doubles as she used to be since Din's got hit so hard and that was most of her doubles game. Will be trying new strats though so that opinion could change.

RF_zelda

Smash Rookie
oh you mean like that,my fav combo, i do that sometimes too, starting the match with dhtrow-nair-bair

on chars like donkey kong you can actually do two bairs if you're lucky

and another time i managed to dthrow-nair-nair-nair-dair for the kill on Bowser jr! if of course it's not a true combo but it was very satisfying
Whoa, that's really cool! I wish I could do that, but I find lightning kicks next to impossible to land in a competitive game. Usually when i do it's pretty rare and flukey.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Whoa, that's really cool! I wish I could do that, but I find lightning kicks next to impossible to land in a competitive game. Usually when i do it's pretty rare and flukey.
I think you should practice it some more because it's actually pretty easy to do once you understand it's hitbox better. I pull it off flawlessly in brawl so I have no trouble doing it in this game because it seems that the sweetspot is easier to hit with this time around. Brawl's sweetspot was a little wonky but you don't have to worry so much in this game. Go on training and learn when you can get the sweetspot from a short hop on all the different sizes on the roster. After you master that and learn it's limits, it shouldn't be hard to apply that positioning into your air game.

I hope this was helpful. c:

Top Bottom