• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

dthrow at the ledge

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
so i dont know whether this is well know or not, at the very least i found nothing on it via a quick search but i think its definitely something to keep in mind, so i apologize in advance if this has already been posted :sadeyes:
lucas dthrow when done on the ledge doesnt throw the opponents as high as it does "on stage" and i didnt really know until now, ive just always been annoyed when i missed my dthrow follow ups for seemingly no reason. ofc it also has the possitive effect of making it combo better into normally unuseable followups, for example, and this is what caused me to test it, i did a pivot grab on a roy at the ledge dthrew him and accidentally did a sh nair instead of full hop, and it perfectly connected, so i could nairplane him across the stage for around 75% damage(including the uair finisher), you can also connect things such as jab and up b out of it, though i see no practical use for those, anyway, its very situational, just thought id write about it, even if it is common knowledge so that people, like me previously, who dont know about it dont get all salty about missing their followups :smash:

Last edited:

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if this is a thing for all characters. I know Falco's DThrow on the ledge has less knock back as well.

Gemzelda_ss

Smash Cadet
NNID
gemzelda_ss
does weight apply to this or are all char sent the same height?

EmpireCrusher203

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-7161-9170
I guess you can grab, then follow-up with down air, or back air if your opponent has really bad DI. It will make a pretty sick tool to punish edge rolls. Down air doesn't have much of a spike effect, but it guess something, maybe even possibly gimp.

aεrgiα

Smash Journeyman
does weight apply to this or are all char sent the same height?
its weight dependant (and maybe fall speed too, i havnt tested it that in depth) so its sadly not set knockback :(
I wonder if this is a thing for all characters. I know Falco's DThrow on the ledge has less knock back as well.
thats actually a good question, maybe, its definitely something worth noting that it happens to at least a few characters :/ it could also be because both lucas and falcos dthrow cause the opponents hurtbox to partially enter the stage, so it might have something to do with that

Last edited:

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
it could also be because both lucas and falcos dthrow cause the opponents hurtbox to partially enter the stage, so it might have something to do with that
Spot on!
Ness has the same thing and on halberd on the right side you could actually stage-spike peopl with d-throw because you get trapped underneath the lip.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Down throw to bair spike is probably the most optimal follow-up for this, but requires very precise inputs to true-combo into it since you have to RAR a frame 15 move while moving forward while correctly spacing the attack to hit with the middle meteor hitboxes.

lui3k

Smash Cadet
to be honest i think this is true for all characters the knockback and angle get altered at the ledge wether you throw them off stage or towards the center
i could be wrong but its something ive noticed w all charecters ive played thus far

Top Bottom