• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DSX's Smash Tournament--Play N' Trade--May 24th--MAJOR UPDATES INCLUDED!!!

DSNPX

Smash Cadet
Name: Play N' Trade
Address: (137 East 13th Street
Manhattan, New York)
Setting: In person
Date: May 24, 2009
Organizer(s): DSX
Game(s): Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. Melee

This tournament is 100% guaranteed. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, no Doubles will be held. Sorry:(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Misc. Details:

Venue: (Game Room)--$10 venue fee
$10 Melee/Brawl singles
-------------------------------------NO DOUBLES SCHEDULED---------------------------------------

Schedule (might be changed): 11:30am to 12:00pm—Signups
12:00pm to 3:30—Brawl Singles
3:30 to 6:00—Melee Singles

Melee/Brawl Singles Pot:
1st—65
2nd—25
3rd—10

***bring your own controller***--we might not have spares

We need Game Systems. For anyone who can bring any of the following, let me know beforehand and I'll put your name down here. If you bring any of the items listed as they are, and it was used, you will get a $2 refund at the end of the tournament:

Gamecube w/ Melee -
Wii w/Brawl -
Wii w/Melee (let me know if the Wii is not good for the Melee) -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOURNAMENT RULES

Double Elimination. Before the first match starts in the Brawl tournaments, neutral stages are slashed until one stage is left—the first match will take place there. For Melee, a simple coin toss, rock-paper-scissors, or other agreeable method will determine who picks the first stage. Loser of any match gets to pick the next stage and chooses their character after the winner does. No stage can be selected twice in a row, and a player cannot choose the same stage they won on during the set. 3 stock 8 minutes. No items. Team Attack On. All infinites are banned (if someone chain grabs you to the edge of a cliff, then it's acceptable). DDD's "chain grab" in Castle Siege is acceptable because the stage changes at a relatively frequent pace. Stalling is banned, but Jigglypuff's rising pound and Rob's up-B to recover is acceptable. The player who initiates suicides when both players lose their last stock wins the match, except for Ganoncide, in which case the player with the higher percent loses. Th

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
wtf? did you just steal Wes's tourney spot or something? lol

last time u hosted, it was in a small *** venue, you used pen and paper for brackets *hell there werent even brackets*, also, ppl never even got to melee/doubles brawl, but thats mostly cause it was on a sunday. and I WILL NEVER PLAY IN A DISORIENTED COLORED T.V EVER AGAIN.

i hope and expect good things from your hosting DSX.

DSNPX

Smash Cadet

last time u hosted, it was in a small *** venue, you used pen and paper for brackets *hell there werent even brackets*, also, ppl never even got to melee/doubles brawl, but thats mostly cause it was on a sunday. and I WILL NEVER PLAY IN A DISORIENTED COLORED T.V EVER AGAIN.

Lol...no pen and paper this time 4 sure (I'll try to get tio running, but im def going to bring my laptop)

We should have about 6-10 tv's, so we'll def have time for the melee tournaments

no disoriented tv's this time:p

Hope 2 c u thar=D

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I am going to tell you this now. You will not be able to get everything on time. And I mean it too. Brawl singles itself takes FAR TOO LONG. In Wes's tourneys (hes mad sexy nohomobtw) bi-weeklys it takes like a whole 4 hours just for like 20 entrants only for singles Who knows even more come. That's even with Wes's pro hosting skills as well.

Not to be mean and mention that, isn't it abit slightly too short-noticed? I mean, it's not 100% guarteeded for the tourney to be held there *even worst to be canceled -.-* . Short noticed =/= 100% not sure is just not cool. That's just my opinon tho so dont mind me.

We(or myself) just don't want you stressing yourself as a host, just like with the past.

just sayin my 2 cents out loud.

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion

It was originally Alex's spot not wes's.

And the venue in queens was small and horrible. I even co-hosted there once. It's very hectic there. But i think it wont be too much a hassle. If i don't go to texas this weekend i'll come help and make things run faster.

DSNPX

Smash Cadet

It was originally Alex's spot not wes's.

And the venue in queens was small and horrible. I even co-hosted there once. It's very hectic there. But i think it wont be too much a hassle. If i don't go to texas this weekend i'll come help and make things run faster.
Yeah, Queens was a reck compared to what I plan for this upcoming tournament. And btw, when was wes' last bi-weekly. Are these the "no johns" bi-weeklies that m2k supposedly plays in? It would be nice if John2--I mean--m2k comes to Sunday's tournament. I've never met him in person. It would be ridiculous if Mango showed up out of nowhere and 4 stocked him...

...I've said too much...

...jk...

...or am I (text mind gamesO.O)

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
so which is going first?
brawl or melee?
or will you be doing both at the same time?o.o
seems a little hard but goodluck

guess i'll be there,might be looking for a doubles partner depending how this looks lol

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion
Yeah, Queens was a reck compared to what I plan for this upcoming tournament. And btw, when was wes' last bi-weekly. Are these the "no johns" bi-weeklies that m2k supposedly plays in? It would be nice if John2--I mean--m2k comes to Sunday's tournament. I've never met him in person. It would be ridiculous if Mango showed up out of nowhere and 4 stocked him...

...I've said too much...

...jk...

...or am I (text mind gamesO.O)

The no johns bi-weeklies are hosted by alukard in nanuet new york.

Wes held gaunlet at play n'trade

Also m2k is in MD then is going to Cali so he wont be in NY/NJ

DSNPX

Smash Cadet
so which is going first?
brawl or melee?
or will you be doing both at the same time?o.o
seems a little hard but goodluck

guess i'll be there,might be looking for a doubles partner depending how this looks lol
For what game are you doing doubles, and who do you main? I main Marth in both Melee and Brawl, and my secondaries are Falcon in Melee and DK in Brawl. If you want to partner up, let me know;)

DSNPX

Smash Cadet
*bump*

obtw, there are some decent players coming to this tournament, like blackanese and basic sausage.

I have a feeling this is going to be big. (*insert obligatory "that's what she said" comment*)

EDIT: @ ch33s3--would you mind partnering up with the host for Brawl doubles? Look at my previous post for character info if it helps the team chemistry.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
*bump*

obtw, there are some decent players coming to this tournament, like blackanese and basic sausage.

I have a feeling this is going to be big. (*insert obligatory "that's what she said" comment*)

EDIT: @ ch33s3--would you mind partnering up with the host for Brawl doubles? Look at my previous post for character info if it helps the team chemistry.
I'll see about teaming with you.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
For what game are you doing doubles, and who do you main? I main Marth in both Melee and Brawl, and my secondaries are Falcon in Melee and DK in Brawl. If you want to partner up, let me know;)
brawl but i probably wont be entering doubles lol
maybe,if anyone needs a partner just look out for my tag name Penta

i'll be there sunday,goodluck to the hoster

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
you really need to confirm like asap. because i am still having difficulty if it's worth going from Li to manhattan and coming home at 2am with nyukkahs roaming around jamaica -_-. and lol, Alex strife always gets the best venues. I thought wes was first because he looked like he worked at PnT that's why.

DSNPX

Smash Cadet
you really need to confirm like asap. because i am still having difficulty if it's worth going from Li to manhattan and coming home at 2am with nyukkahs roaming around jamaica -_-. and lol, Alex strife always gets the best venues. I thought wes was first because he looked like he worked at PnT that's why.
This tournament is confirmed. Sorry for the lack of doubles, though. But you said it yourself--just to hold the Brawl Singles, I will need about 3 or 4 hours.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
This tournament is confirmed. Sorry for the lack of doubles, though. But you said it yourself--just to hold the Brawl Singles, I will need about 3 or 4 hours.
who said the constriants for doubles wtf? and what time is this exactly again? i want to be sure, just so i have church johns just in case.

i bet u ppl like papa blacka and anti would rather go to popeyes or KFC than go to brawl singles =( lolz

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Ugh, no doubles = fail. Doubles is infinitely better than singles.

DSNPX

Smash Cadet
Ugh, no doubles = fail. Doubles is infinitely better than singles.
Are you ch33sal from AiB? You can't seriously say that doubles is "infinitely" better than singles. In fact, I can find a crowd of people that would say the reverse. A one-on-one battle can be intense if both players are skilled (or at least at around the same level). Many players find that hardcore video gaming can be quite fun and exhilarating, and singles tournaments tend to be hardcore, especially toward the end. But preferences are preferences, and you are "infinitely" entitled to your own opinion.

@ hippiedude: The confirmed time is 11:30 in the morning. I suggest you guys come early so that the Brawl tournament can run smoothly (Brawl Singles starts at 12 in the afternoon, and Melee Singles will start anywhere between 3:00 and 3:30)...

...church johns is still johns...

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Lmao. Not to be rude, but any "pro" would love doubles than singles. Also to runs much faster and smoothly,4 people get to play, and so many crazy **** happens aha xD. That's just my opinon from my point of view.

And yes he is cheesal from AiB.

edit: also shouldn't you make the rules abit more organized in the front page? just my recommendation if you wanna be a good host lol. it's not like people memorized each rule by heart. also can you ban d3's infinite chaingrab pls? kthnx <3

edit: wtf wheres the cp list lol

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Maybe I'll go........maybe.

Also I would like more detail on the stages that are legal and stages that are used for counterpicks to avoid problems. Give a list. This list of stages is fine.

Stages:

Starter

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counterpick

Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise

Edit- Doubles is way more fun than singals.

blackanese

Smash Lord
New York Citaaay :333 Occupation: Stripper ;]
oh dayums, i was going 2 this mostly 4doubles

in all seriousness, most people prefer doubles over singles, but singles brings in more people. if anything i just stick 2 a all brawl tourny and do both doubles / singles. and if extra time do melee singles (if antyhing melee singles SHOULDNT take much time, unless for some reason many melee players show up)

but yah thats just my opinion. just run everythign on time and it should be good

oh and with the rules, just copyh / paste the most recent rules being used. like dark pch. said thats the stages being used atm (with of course some being talked about ex. picto chat)

and LOLOL kfc > brawl

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
It really should be brawl doubles and singles. More People play Brawl then melee. These are facts and thats how it is around here by polular demand. You will get more attention and more money for running both brawl singles and doubles. Thats what about........97.9% of players are comming here for. Brawl, not melee.

BIGM1994

Smash Champion
It really should be brawl doubles and singles. More People play Brawl then melee. These are facts and thats how it is around here by polular demand. You will get more attention and more money for running both brawl singles and doubles. Thats what about........97.9% of players are comming here for. Brawl, not melee.
Yea seriously,also this is a weeklies doubles will run real quick i think but anyways more of a chance ill come if der is brawl doubles.Also is it 10 for melee singles and brawl singles or just 5 for each.if 10 for melee singles den thats a rip off. just make brawl doubles insted of melee singles and have it 5 each for dubz

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
lol Bigm, it's been always like that. NY is a popular hotspot tourney. Of course it's gonna be packed with people, so profits are for yummy peeps.

and highly agreed with Drk pch. Gotta make it offical quick, because idk if im having a backup plan and let my sunday be ruined -_-.

DSNPX

Smash Cadet
Yea seriously,also this is a weeklies doubles will run real quick i think but anyways more of a chance ill come if der is brawl doubles.Also is it 10 for melee singles and brawl singles or just 5 for each.if 10 for melee singles den thats a rip off. just make brawl doubles insted of melee singles and have it 5 each for dubz
Ummmm...this is not a weekly...so the prices stand as they are...

I can try to run Brawl and Melee Doubles, like after the singles tournaments. For that to work, however, I would have to run Melee in the basement and Brawl upstairs and have them going at the same time. I will probably do this tomorrow, but like I said, Doubles will have to be after the Singles. And since this is not a weekly, doubles will be 20 per team.

In my opinion, Melee is much more competitive than Brawl, and tournaments should be, for the most part, competitive. But I do see the trend that Brawl brings in more people--I don't deny that. That's why I haven't been running Melee exclusive tournaments.

In terms of the ruleset, I will modify them to match the official one being used atm. Thanks for the tidbit, Dark.Pch:)

EDIT: I have reached 69 posts!!!

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Brawl is more popular and what MORE people play. This came hae brought a ton of new people case the game is fresh. Really in N.Y. You will have ton for brawl and a few for melee. Most people around here don't play melee anymore. I can't tell you how to run your tourny. You do what you want. But I'm letting you know and being with with you that Brawl is the most atraction and what people will come for. And lil care about melee around here.

Tec0+9

Smash Apprentice
MELEE HAS DIED. MELEE WILL RISE. IT WILL COME AGAIN, But now aint the time.

Seriously man take out melee and make it brawl singles and doubles. You will have guaranteed 3-6 players for melee unless some of us are bored. If you ask around for opinions more people look forward to brawl doubles than brawl singles because its more fun.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
since it's on a sunday and people love to wake up late and come late to a tourney -_-. what time is brawl singles will end? (just give a really GOOD hard estimated time.) unless by popular demand and people (i kinda doubt it since it's on a sunday but who knows) go for doubles. lol i dont really feel like coming home super late =/

Tec0+9

Smash Apprentice
I don't see why you can't due melee singles and brawl doubles anyways. If there is melee singles it's bound to go by super fast and only melee heads will play it which will be 3-10 people. The store closes at 10 I think so there should be more then enough time unless this suddenly becomes big... How about this take a vote after Brawl singles that way things will be decided by popular demand instead of me or anyone trying to talk you over.

blackanese

Smash Lord
New York Citaaay :333 Occupation: Stripper ;]
lol yo man seriously i doubt any1 (especially soem1 super competative) will come 4 melee. and did u say yorue gonna do brawl singles and melee doubles? i hope u mean teamd for both brawl and melee LOLOL. like i said b4 just do brawl singles and doubles and im pretty sure youll even have time for melee singles since itll finish up quick anwyays. if u cant deceide now, u can always wait till tomorrow and take a vote on the spot, even though itll disappoint alot of people on the result. (pretty much everythign tec0+9 said)

anyways man please at least have brawl singles AND doubles, every1 is becoming disappointed b/c of doubles not being on

Top Bottom