• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dsty Vids

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman

The Phenom

Smash Lord
Uhm I'm a brawl yoshi so I can't really judge but watch fumi vids? That's all I got lol
ummm, aren't you a B+ size and when are we going to play? And...DstyCube has already seen Fumi vids.

Going to watch them critique as soon after my bubble bath. Be back shortly =)

@DSTYCUBE: Well I wanted to at least have an impression of a match before heading to my bubble bath so when I do I know what to advice you.

You play to aggressive in the first match so far. There isn't much planning on your attacks. You can be more defensive just in general. I'll come with more details when I'm out.

EDIT: All the rest of the matches showed that you knew what your were doing. You have good Egg skills, nice quick combos. You aren't very flashy but that's fine.

Suggestion of a Tech?

-Have you tried learning Shai-Hulud "dash platform drop"? . What it is is that when you are on a platform and you dash on it, you can dash dance left and right and immediately fall down afterwards by sliding the control stick from it's neutral position down to a 45 degree angle while holding lightly the R button. Well just imagine that and a quick DJ turn around with a NAIR. It could be useful I think.
--------
CLASS OF 2009!!! Trailor 06-18-09!!!

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Only watched the vs mario ones so far, might watch the others later, but here's what I got:

First thing edgeguarding. A lot of times you could easily take a stock if you just edgehogged. I find mario also one of the easiest characters to intercept with a fair when they get back. But most of the times he could just safely get back because you either didnt edgehog or went for a turnaround down b (which is just unnecessary and very slow compared to turnaround edgehog). If the mario comes from below all you really have to do is last minute edgehog, if he down b's you refresh invincibilty frames with ECE/down b, and he's pretty much done. If he goes for the stage, his lag will let you waveland on and dsmash him back where he came from.

Second thing ftilt and fsmash. I think I counted 0 uses of these moves, while they are just so usefull for spacing yourself against the repeated aerials he was throwing at you. A simple wavedash back to (angled) fsmash/ftilt could easily counter a lot of the nairs/upairs he was approaching with. Even crouchcancel downsmash could do the job as the mario wasnt very fond of fairs. At some moments I saw him spam some fullhop dairs. Fullhops is generally a bad idea to do vs yoshi is you are even semi floatie, because yoshi pretty much beats everything coming from above with his weird warping upsmash (and repeated upair juggling after that if the % is right).

apart from that, I liked your rdjc nairs :) although I kinda missed some combo's :p
I find rdjc fair -> utilt -> upairs pretty solid against mario's/doc's. also bair to pretty much anything :p

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Phenom: lol wow, that's pretty cool. Do you think you can get any invincibility frames off the shield animation before dropping through the platform? Pretty fancy stuff, it could be pretty useful if mastered. My thumb hurts from practicing lol.

Mind Trick: I love constructive feedback. I don't know why, but I was pretty nervous those 2 matches, I usually dont miss those down b ledge guards like that. The reason why I use it though over a djc edgehog is because mario's up b ***** your second jump and down b has more priority than mario's up b. I was just taking what I felt was the safer choice.

I've noticed that too lately, I'm really trying to incorporate those 2 in more, I think I used it a bit more in my match up against fox. I'm not too comfortable with the range or priority on both of them, but I'll try practice them more.

I'll update more videos as time goes by, thanks again for the feedback.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Bump!

There were a few I didn't link from before, so they're pretty out dated.

Only 1 real new video for now... there may be a few more hiding somewhere.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
on the new vid:
a bit much mistakes on both sides (suicides, bad di). rising nair and djc nair I find pretty effective against fox and you used it well. your djc fair timing is a bit off, seems you hit the ground before you get it off. I think jabs are key for this matchup, the few times you used them it seemed to pay off, its great to throw the fox's rhytm as well as jab resets, at 0:47 for example utilt to dsmash, I myself prefer to go for the jab followed up by downthrow to ****. utilt is **** though. I saw some egg throwing on stage that got punished, fox's speed doesnt really let you get it off unless you block the way with the egg, although on the edge its much safer. also in general grabs are pretty good against fox's imo (although difficult to pull of), usually if the fox has little to no yoshi exp the dash grab is quite unexpected and faster than you might think.

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
I think your style is alright, but you need to learn how to contain yourself a little bit. You seem like you could use a bit more practice just learning the uses of all yoshi's moves. I find his whole moveset (with some exceptions) is quite awesome. You don't always have to be moving around... something I thought I noticed alot with your matches was that you were always moving, and pretty commonly you put yourself into horrible situations by just trying to always be moving. The next time you play, I recommend thinking about your movements, and asking yourself why you're doing what you're doing, you might find out that you're putting yourself in danger a bit too much while trying to intimidate the people you're playing.

Get some better timing on your aerials, like mind trick said before, most of your f-airs seem to be a bit premature, and you're grounded before the attack even comes out. Also in the air, be a little bit more careful with how you use that double jump, it's probably Yoshi's strongest asset, and biggest weakness. A bit more thought with what you do in the air would help, and remember that you don't always have to be on the offensive.

The eggs didn't look all that bad, I'm a huge ledge egging enthusiast though, so I'd have been spamming any chance I could get (I always do ^^). Again, be more wary with how you use them, if you use them on stage, standing, just remember that there's quite a bit of lag, and you can be easily punished. My main purpose for eggs is really to just control the opponents movements, remember that for tech chasing (which you could also use a bit of work on).

Try to incorporate slightly more defensive strategies, I noticed you didn't like to use Yoshi's crouch cancel, and I didn't see any point in the vids I watched where you used his double jump to absorb an attack, and create your own opening. This prolly all comes back to just thinking about your movements, and questioning your actions. Rather than just going straight on aggressive, just tone it back and get a feel for the other player. (Gonna add here that I love Yoshi's ledge play game, seeing as it can be used greatly in defensive strategies with some versatile stalls, easy access to ledges, and it makes his projectiles a bit more usable)

Mmm... that's pretty much all I can say for now. Maybe I helped, maybe I didn't :p I hope I said something smart... oh well. Good luck.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
Thanks again for the feedback!

Mind Trick: I usually always go for thunders combos, but I thought he was going to tech something there and I just wanted to make sure I got hit atleast. I admit my grab game is really bad. Actually it's more because my spacing is just really bad and I'm always punished for it.

Yoshiiscool: Oh man, you really nailed my weak spots lol. The biggest thing I've been thinking about recently is trying to play smart, but it's been really frustrating. In most cases, I don't know what I'm supposed to do. In the end it results me finding that I've put myself in bad situations. My decision making skills aren't very good, in most cases I find myself thinking 'this might work' instead of 'this will work. I know there's a bunch of info in this forum, I guess I should get digging lol.

*EDIT*: When I first played yoshi I could always djc through attacks and counter. But now I just can't get the timing anymore, any tips?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Bah. I was bored so I watched a couple of matches.

Vs. The Falcon

More CCing. A lot of Falcons approach with nair and grabs. It's easy to deal with nair. Just CC > dtilts/dsmashes. Just watch out for those dairs. They wreck Yoshi pretty bad when they hit.

DD grab is Falcon's bread and butter. A patient Falcon will always grab you unless you're careful with your spacing. SH nair and bair are pretty safe. Make sure you double jab when you land to get Falcon out of your hair. Essentially if you spam nair like a Fox, there's not much Falcon can do about it (too much priority). So as long as you don't get DD grabbed you'll be fine.

Vs. The Falco

Platforms and full jumps are the only way (other than powershielding) to deal with lasers. So platform waveland > dropthrough nair/runoff nair is you're approach of choice. Full jump nair is good too. Can't really CC Falco. You'll just get shined. Buuut roll and dsmash works wonders, I've heard. And go crazy when techchasing Falco. If you some how manage to get a grab downthrow and run forward > dash attack. Usually Falco will tech away. If you see an opportunity, though, dsmash obviously *****.

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
Hey dsty, about eating attacks with your jump, there's a couple tips I can sort of give.

First off, I'd say know the other char. That's huge, because then you'll be able to know what to expect, because jumping through (for me) isn't really much about reacting to the attack itself, but having a general understanding of the outcomes in attempting it, and guessing your opponents actions. I just mean things like, if you're going up against a ganon, and you're at relatively high damage, it might not be smart to go up and suck in the hit, whereas if you're fighting someone with relatively weaker attacks, it'd be a decent idea.

Another thing is knowing your opponent. If you know that this particular player really enjoys coming down on you with aerials, and you can predict it easy, **** him up. Nuff said. Just remember that it can be predictable, and on FD wasting your double jump without any platforms above to waveland or get back to easily could screw you, so also if you try to guess and botch it, I'd say attempt to just DJC n-air or u-air (practically lagless) and fast fall, get get back to the ground ASAP.

Something also to remember about hitting through the double jump is that Yoshi will still have the hit stun of the attack, so it may seem like you can't attack immediately after your hit. This happens to me most vs falco and that freakin d-air, it's got so much freakin stun that by the time you can move again, the stupid bird is prolly already below you anyways, so don't forget to take that into consideration when you go for this. This is also why you shouldn't really mash the buttons when you attempt to do this, cuz if you DJ through something, and keep mashing A to n-air, and you end up missing... then you're just open for more punishment.

All that being said, it's still quite situational, I'd say, but still extremely useful when it can be used.

Yup... I'll talk more if you have any more questions xD hope my responses aren't too long and tedious to read.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Alright, first I'd just like to compliment you on your yoshi, its quite fluid and you seem to know what your doing. Now to the (constructive) criticism.

I watched the falco vids and here is what I noticed:

Edgeguarding: You missed a couple of easy edgeguards. You need to be a little bit more bold and have confidence in yourself. You missed a couple of easy edgeguards and could have easily turned the tide of the battle if you had just edgehogged or nair'd or whatever.

Patience: You rushed at falco too fast. You shouldn't let laser spamming get to you, falco wants you to rush at him so you should take a more measured approach with platform wavelands, powershileds( if you can) and other approach methods. Don't just DJC straight at him, this got you comboed quite a few times.

Spacing: This goes with patience. You didn't seem like you tryed to maintain flow of the battle through spacing and zoning or anything like that. Rather than just rushing in I think it would be better if you were able to use f-tilts and f-smashes and other good spacers to set the pace of the game a little better.

Juggling: You missed a couple of easy juggles that could easily have racked up a bunch of damage and possibly resulted in a kill. Instead you let falco fall to the floor and set the pace of the game again. Use those U-airs and U-tilts and if all else fails at least egg him. Every bit of damage is important against falco because he dies quite early.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom