• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DSmash: Nail 'em with both swipes, read how.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
As we all know, if your opponent is right in your face with a low percentage, a DSmash will sometimes connect with both swipes dealing near 30%. However, this sometimes does not happen and at higher percents will never happen.

In order to increase the probability, utilizing momentum is the key. If you do a DSmash from a dash-pivot-cancel, the forward slide will carry them along to get hit by both swipes. I have used this consistently in battle with success. Has anyone else tried this?

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Pivot cancel?
Explain.
A Dash-pivot-cancel is performed like this: Dash on direction so you enter your full running animation, then turn so that Yoshi slides and during that turning animation you can perform any smash you want while maintaining your momentum.

Dsamsh is a get the hell off me move it should not be used as an offensive move.
I say if you can nail people for 30 percent and get away with it, then go for it.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Do you turn or dash around the other way? I don't know LilB it seems pretty useful. It just adds to yoshi options with the Pivot Grab and the Sliding Egg throw.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Do you turn or dash around the other way? I don't know LilB it seems pretty useful. It just adds to yoshi options with the Pivot Grab and the Sliding Egg throw.
Here's an example of where I used it.

DK was hanging on the edge, I threw an egg to coax him to roll up, and then I dashed behind him, pivoted (while he rolled again towards the center of the stage), and performed the dsmash as a tech-chase. I could also have grabbed, dash attacked, or anything else for that matter, so only use Dsmash when you know they don't have a chance to shield it.

Now the reason it worked in this case was because this particular player was too defensive and just wanted to get a safe distance from me. Make them fear Yoshi and it will work :demon:

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
How does one pivot make you close enough for 30% Dsmash? You went up to him and dashed so you could be behind him , but he rolled so the only way you can get close to him is to dash to him or roll to him again, but you only pivoted. Am I missing something?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I have teh gud ideaz.

vs Link take a wind boomerang from behind and surf it into a D smash....thats if you dont get smashed first.

Honestly if someone sees that dash wind up, there likely to throw a shield as a panic, if your fighting someone who gets owned by grab releases they are going to spot dodge though Spot dodging foes could work since the frames would end, but the nature of how that dash pivot cancel works would make me want to throw a shield thinking a dash attack is coming.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: The most reliable way to use this is with your back very close to the enemy.

The hitbox for Yoshi's downsmash, like Marth and Ike's forward smashes, starts slightly behind him. You can hit with the first hit and then hit them with the secondary tail swipe as Yoshi turns their way.

D

Deleted member

I hardly use dsmash these days, cuz jab is so much safer. Its situational but good.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
I second Stocky's comment. If you can get a KO with it, go ahead, but otherwise there's usually something better to do, what with pivots outranging it and whatnot.

Top Bottom