• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dropping Packets Problem

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Hey guys. Starting yesterday I've been DSing like crazy, always dropping packets either immediately when starting or during/right after a game. I've never dropped packets nearly as frequently as I am now. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do?

For the record, I'm on a public campus internet. I've played many games on it with no problems in the past.

I downright can't play any games against certain players because I just DS immediately. I'm not exactly sure how much the other player affects my rate of DS though I either play a single game and DS or just DS right away. I can sometimes do teams but it quickly goes back to DSing right away. I don't know why or how this started out of the blue, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Smeagol

Smash Rookie
I have the same problem but only on the new Galaxy server (the one in New York). As soon as I start the game, I will desynch with the dropping packets message. First I thought it was a problem on my side (cause of my high ping) but then I met 2 more people who had the same problem but they both had low pings. So I think there is something wrong with the server cause, as I already said, this only happens to me on the new galaxy. It never happened in the old galaxy (Chicago) nor in any other servers. :ohwell:

breakthrough

Smash Journeyman
I played with NTA and Wilde just fine for an hour or two (ds'ing maybe every 3-5 games or so) yesterday. Double check that you don't have a firewall up and if you do, ensure that Project64 is added as an exception. I find that to be the one of the most common causes of ds.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Same issue here ever since new server move. I don't think I have the problem, but I've tried to play with a number of people that do nothing but drop packets now, even though on the other server there was never an issue.

Yoshi-Fan GM

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I'm having the same issue on the new Galaxy Backup server.
I don't have this problem on other servers, though... but most players are on Galaxy Backup so I am UNABLE to play, unless it's P2P or in another server.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I played with NTA and Wilde just fine for an hour or two (ds'ing maybe every 3-5 games or so) yesterday. Double check that you don't have a firewall up and if you do, ensure that Project64 is added as an exception. I find that to be the one of the most common causes of ds.
It's not a firewall problem for me. I think it may just be the new server since this started happening to others once they moved to the new server. I didn't have this problem on the old server either. We'll just have to wait until it gets fixed I guess.

Moonshadow

Smash Rookie
same here with the new server. I even ping 78 on in for some reason even though i'm in ny and i had ~40 on the chicago server.. people should play on west wonderland

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Why would you even want to play on the New York server, Kimi?

/westcoastsalt

Barbs Jr

Smash Apprentice
Everyones mad about new galaxy.

went from 4 frames (bad) to 2 frames (pretty good). Lots of people are also 2-3 frames as well, more so than old galaxy it seems.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I mean obv people who are closer are having a better time and people who are further are having a worse

it aint complicated

Kabutox

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know if there's being looked at this issue, or should I just give up on playing with Americans in galaxy forever?

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
only SMASH FU and GALAXY have this issue. I emailed Firo about it, but he seems either too busy, or not very well invested into solving the problem. Which, is unfortunate because it deters players with more than 60 ping to those servers, and sometimes players are not knowledgeable enough to end up in Demon Cat Tribe/p2p/other servers.

firo

Smash Ace
Hey everyone. I do want to solve this problem.

I've reverted the emulinker version to an old one without a lot of features (lagstat, etc. You can't change max players but you can join a game that has more than 2 players without any issues). Can people test it and see if they are encountering the same sort of packet drops?

I'll use this thread to help work out these issues.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
confirmed(at least for me) that the issue is not solved.

The instant-packet-loss-FedEx issue is no longer there, so that's fixed(unless that has something to solely do with the temporary old version, which idk it might)

But I run at 27-33 FPS

firo

Smash Ace
Isn't the instant packet-loss-Fedex issue the problem we are trying to solve?

And I know that it's fixed delay - I don't plan on keeping this version running.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
Well, yes the instant FedEx is/was the problem at hand; is this 27-33 fps thing only on the weird version you have? Because its confirmed that the FedEx is gone(I played a few games vs a few people in Matrix-Mode), at least for me(and I assume other 60ms+ pingers have the problem fixed as well)

firo

Smash Ace
I've uploaded a new version of emulinker to the server. This one disables all dropped packet warnings, so we'll see how it goes. I also doubled the available memory for the server, which might help.

Please test it and let me know what you find.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
I tried a game with zeus and we were getting 40 fps(fps was jumping around), and it was the same when I tried playing by myself too. Zeus said his games with other people were junky fps as well.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
now my ping is jumping all over the place here, wtf? normally 32-33ms, now it's jumping to 78-125 when i ping it

EDIT: not anymore. That was bizarre though.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Can you like force LAN when you get this fixed, everyones going EXC and even GOOD

Top Bottom