• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Drastic help needed for analyzation

McWaffles

Still grinding to be decent.
Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
Hey Sheik boards, it is I, McWaffles, from Eastern Washington and I've noticed that the main reason that I haven't been able to capitalize off of what I would like to perform with my character, is mainly because I'm not the best at analyzing what my opponents habits are (besides the very obvious if they always tech away, tech in, tech in place, miss tech, DI away, DI in, etc.) and I really need help on that. I have no idea what I can do to learn that ability, but I would love to practice the hell out of it because I'm also going to EVO in July. All help is appreciated. :teemo:

Str8Bustr

Smash Rookie
IMO, a lot of mid-match analyzing comes from understanding what a character can and can not do in a given situation, and what that character wants to do in a given situation. So, you look for, not just the habits someone does in their teching, but their habits in playing footsies, comboing, punishing, recovering, etc. This applies to both players and characters. So, for example, every Falco is gonna wanna get in with a SH laser, cuz Falco's are dumb and that's all they do. Figure out how they like to do it, their timings, and what they follow up with, and you can beat them. If you haven't seen this already, I highly recommend this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQCan5oo90&feature=youtu.be It's about footsies in SF4, but a lot of the same principals can be applied.

Sorry if this doesn't really answer your question, that was more about the neutral game TBH, but I feel it follows the same idea. Hope it helps one way or another

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
IMO, a lot of mid-match analyzing comes from understanding what a character can and can not do in a given situation, and what that character wants to do in a given situation. So, you look for, not just the habits someone does in their teching, but their habits in playing footsies, comboing, punishing, recovering, etc. This applies to both players and characters. So, for example, every Falco is gonna wanna get in with a SH laser, cuz Falco's are dumb and that's all they do. Figure out how they like to do it, their timings, and what they follow up with, and you can beat them. If you haven't seen this already, I highly recommend this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQCan5oo90&feature=youtu.be It's about footsies in SF4, but a lot of the same principals can be applied.

Sorry if this doesn't really answer your question, that was more about the neutral game TBH, but I feel it follows the same idea. Hope it helps one way or another
Thanks a lot dude! Like I said, everything helps. I really need to start practicing what you mentioned above, but I don't really know how.. Any tips? :p

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
Pay attention to see if you are consistently hit with the same attack. It doesn't matter how you do it, but learn how to deal with the attack and/or avoid it.

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
Some of this tends to come with time, like noticing small little bits and pieces here and there. But, in order to truly understand how to read your opponent and get an understanding of why you are winning/losing or getting hit by the same move, you need to analyze game play. You should be watching games in slow motion on youtube and really analyzing what is going on. EX: M2K did a short hop nair on shield and got shined into upsmash. M2K could've done an empty hop as a mix-up, he could've dash danced right outside the fox's attack range, and so much more. Doing this consistently will over time get you to understand why and what a player did and if he does it again or not. I was helping with a top player in my region for his next match and he gave me some great advice: "Practice tech skill until your hands hurt, then practice more. Analyze video, take notes, play people as much as possible."

Str8Bustr

Smash Rookie
^what he said. If you play on netplay, it might be a good idea to record the games you play and rewatch them

McWaffles

Slippi.gg
JAKE#988
NNID
TheMcWaffles
3DS FC
2337-7097-9360
Switch FC
SW-6907-3206-1991
ehhh I can't deal with the input lag, but I think I'd manage I suppose. I hardly ever get put onto stream, but once I do I believe I'd do fairly well. One thing I've started doing is questioning why I got hit with everything I get hit with and seeing what I could've done and what I should do. Thanks for the responses everyone :)

Top Bottom