• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dragon Ball/Z/GT Disscussion Thread

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
So, after reading about everything coming up with Dragon Ball Super, I can say that I am deeply dissappointed. I will now proceed to throw out my opinion like the fool that I am.

SPOILERS AHEAD

First of all, I really liked Battle of Gods. I think it was well done. I liked the concept of Super Saiyan God and the form's overall design. What I liked even better was the effect it had after the initial transformation. Instead of being yet another new form for our saiyan heroes, it was merely a temporary state and you apparently can absorb the energy of the god form to increase your previous Super Saiyan transformations. This, at the time, made me really excited. I thought that they were opting out of adding even more transformations and instead allowing Goku and friends to rise to new heights and even more battles with the transformations they already had in Z. Then Revival of Frieza came out.

Where do I even begin? The movie had a good concept, in the beginning. Frieza is revived in order to take vengeance upon the saiyans who vanquished him. I liked the idea, at first, but it pretty much went downhill from here. Of course, in order to take on a new, ridiculously overpowered Goku from the one he knew years ago he would have to have a tremendous rise in power. This is Dragon Ball so I don't really expect this to be logical in any way but seriously? The couldn't have just said Frieza trained in HFIL for all the years he had been in dead and used the dragon's second wish to grant godhood or something. Instead Frieza trains for a FEW MONTHS and magically reaches Goku's strength AND achieves godhood because plot. I am wondering what, in the name of the flying speghetti monster, kind of mind-bending training had Frieza done to become a freaking god in a few months and if he was so sure that this training would bring him to this level then why wouldn't he have done this in the first place before dying? I'm just saying that they could have easily formed a reason for Frieza becoming so strong other than "he trained a few months."

Then there are the new transformation. Like I said before I was really hoping we wouldn't get any more saiyan transformations. The next thing I know everybody has blue hair. People ranted on how the original Super Saiyan God was a "poor man's kaioken." I disagreed and honestly thought the design was rather well done. But, oh my stars, do I hate everything about Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan. The name of the transformation itself is absolute horse dukey. It sounds like something straight out of a bad fan-fiction. Heck, some of the fan-fictions have better names AND designs then SSGSS! Both SS4 and SS5 look better and interesting then SSGSS. Seriously at least SSG had something neat and distinct about it. SSGSS is literally just SS with blue instead of gold! *Sigh*

Now we come to Dragon Ball Super. I know very little about this but I'll probably end up watching it regardless of how stupid the first main villaian is. Fat Beerus....and he comes with his own Whis!

Honestly, I prefer GT over Super at this point in time. I think the fan-fiction Dragon Ball Multiverse stomps both to the ground, though.

Sorry for the long post but I needed to vent. I hope Dragon Ball can somehow recatch my interest but right now I just feel like one of my favorite series is destroying itself.

finalark

SNORLAX
I see what you're getting at, but I really can't be upset at Revival of F (for the record, I haven't seen it yet, this is just going off of what I know about it). Hell, I didn't think Battle of the Gods was all that great either. But I still enjoyed it none the less. Why? Because all the DBZ movies are pretty stupid.

One of them is about King Kai having a big evil space pirate suck in his planet who is somehow at least as powerful as Perfect Cell.

Another is about a Super Saiyan who has a grudge against Goku because he cried as a baby. Which said Super Saiyan somehow remembers and is pissed about.

Or how about the time that Cooler sealed his fate by triggering Goku's SSJ form by killing a bird?

In light of all that, Freeza some how getting as powerful a SSGod Goku by "just training" is still pretty stupid, but hey, it's a DBZ movie. You should go in expecting it to be pretty dumb.

It's way too early to say anything about DB Super yet. We only have one episode to go off of and we don't know know that much about Big Beerus or how he's going to affect the series. The best thing to do is approach it with an open mind and hope they fix up the stupider parts of the newer movies.

But yeah, DB Multiverse does kick the crap out of GT. Then again, most things do.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
A majority of people seem to like DB Super so far actually. It made an overall good first impression. To be honest, I'm more than okay with them making some adjustments to the movie's stories. I wasn't really a big fan of two new ones. I get that pretty much all the films have their share of BS in it, but I still enjoyed them. BoG was the better of the two.

While Super is off to a slow start, it's at least entertaining while doing it. Really, the only thing that'll majorly turn me off of this series is if they pull a GT all over again. I don't want to see nearly every character that isn't Goku to become background decoration. Even when they are out matched in different parts of the series, guys like Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo and Krillin still did what they could to help out. I want that.

Champa's design is meh I guess. A variation of Beerus, not great, but not terrible. If this alternate universe thing is going anywhere, I at least hope to see some good villains. Maybe a fairly sympathetic one, most DB villains are complete assholes, which is fine. But every once in a while, it's good to have a villain who's motivation you can really understand.

Also, this exact part of the opening is what got me hyped.

I was never really a fan of Goten, since he didn't have much going for him on his own, unlike Goku and Gohan respectively. But I'd be really happy to see all Goku and his sons take on a main threat together. Think Broly's second movie, but taken a step or two further.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, DBS has been getting a alot of discussion around the web lately. Figured we'd try to get this tread more active if possible. Though most people were dissappointed with how poor episode 5 looked. At least episode 6 managed to bring it back a little. Now we get to see a new version of Vegeta's outburst.

Aside from that, Extreme Budoten's demo is out and it's pretty damn fun. I really like Gohan and Goku in that game. It's easier to combo with Kid Gohan. While Goku deals good damage and can tank. Still need time to adjust to Vegeta though.

finalark

SNORLAX
I haven't been watching Super. I watch the first two episodes and decided to wait it out so I can marathon it.

Plus I'm hoping we get a dub soon. Been kinda holding out for that too.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I haven't been watching Super. I watch the first two episodes and decided to wait it out so I can marathon it.

Plus I'm hoping we get a dub soon. Been kinda holding out for that too.
I might wait for the dub too. I've been watching Dragon Ball Kai re-runs on Toonami. And I can still enjoy the series like I did the first time watching.

Top Bottom