• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr.tornado, not totally useless for recovery?

Henrik Lagerholm

Smash Cadet
I've always believed that Doc's down+b, the Dr.Tornado, is useless for recovery off stage as it only stalls and not actually gain height.

But i recently watched a video with Boss vs M2K and i saw Boss using the Dr.Tornado as a really usable tool for recovery off stage. I myself can't use it well, but after seeing Boss I've had some hope in the move.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mprfNC8hcsk

Is the Dr.Tornado not useless and how is it possible to gain height from mere mashing? Is there a limit for mashing except frames available (TAS) and where is the limit?

Otherwise, is there somewhere you can direct me to, that has been discussing this topic more in detail or is it worthy to discuss here? I'd love to make use of the Tornado more efficiently.

Last edited:

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
It is possible to gain height with it... you have to get a perfect tornado or a near perfect tornado. You can practice perfect tornadoes on yoshi's story by standing under the middle platform, tornado under neath, and if you land on the middle platform that means you did either a perfect tornado or a near perfect tornado. It takes some practice. The way I get the prefect tornado is basically by putting my thumb on the B button and instead of pressing with the joints in my thumb, I shake/twist my wrist fast enough to get a perfect tornado. The extra height you get isn't that much but it's enough to save you in certain situations. But be very smart with how you use it because you can put yourself in a situation where you're a sitting duck and will get gimped.

You can also stall with it if you get knocked up high above the stage and it gives you a bit more time to figure out what you want to do. The problem with that though is that if you don't hit the ground and get knocked off stage then you won't have your tornado for recovery.

You should check out the perfect tornado explained in "The Doctor's Checkup" video... you can find the video here in the Doc forums

Last edited:

Henrik Lagerholm

Smash Cadet
It is possible to gain height with it... you have to get a perfect tornado or a near perfect tornado. You can practice perfect tornadoes on yoshi's story by standing under the middle platform, tornado under neath, and if you land on the middle platform that means you did either a perfect tornado or a near perfect tornado. It takes some practice. The way I get the prefect tornado is basically by putting my thumb on the B button and instead of pressing with the joints in my thumb, I shake/twist my wrist fast enough to get a perfect tornado. The extra height you get isn't that much but it's enough to save you in certain situations. But be very smart with how you use it because you can put yourself in a situation where you're a sitting duck and will get gimped.

You can also stall with it if you get knocked up high above the stage and it gives you a bit more time to figure out what you want to do. The problem with that though is that if you don't hit the ground and get knocked off stage then you won't have your tornado for recovery.

You should check out the perfect tornado explained in "The Doctor's Checkup" video... you can find the video here in the Doc forums
Thanks for the reply dude. I'll check on the video and i'll try to practice the Perfect Tornado on Yoshi's, thanks for the tips too.

Top Bottom