• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario support thread.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Doctor Mario's been gettin too much hate recently with people making him one of the first choices for cuts. But think about this.

Without Doctor Mario himself what are the chances of having the proposed Doctor Mario Pill Bottle as a stage? Well?

And really, when you think about it, Doctor Mario is simply more mature than Mario. I mean obviously, because Doc is practicing biochemistry, while the other Mario's doing what? Eating Mushrooms and crawling through the sewers so he can hallucinate about saving a princess in the midst of a Leninist revolt? Not to mention all the innocent turtles that were mamed and gutted along the way.

Doctor Mario is simply more respectable. He has a real job and lives in the real world, and Melee players who use Doc use him for a reason. He represents a scholarly mind with ambitions and goodness in his heart, while Mario represents a pathetic form of escapism to deal with his ****ty job.

That said, I still think there's a good chance he'll be cut. But you never know, maybe the developers made him better for a reason, Maybe he wasn't as much a filler as Pichu and Ganondorf were.

(Where you live) I live in my house, duh!
Wow... o.0 You should be a public speaker! You've changed my view of Doctor Mario. I do agree with everything you've said... and a Dr. Mario Pill Bottle Stage would be really cool! I hope they don't take him out of Brawl. Plus, Dr. Mario has his own game- unlike people like Falco and Pichu. They should keep him in Brawl!

Velocity

Smash Lord
Imo pichu, y.link, roy(or marth I hate marth),falco were the filler characters and should be cut leave ganondorf and definetly leave doc specially cause he's the only one I use lol and who hasn't dreamt of the dr. mario level.

solution, change marios and docs movesets from eachother or have mario turn into doc and have doc be totally broken

save dr. mario

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
I am agreeing to keep doc in, but the thing is that all of the other clones differ greatly from their... what's the word... original?... doner?... anyway Like fox to Falco. This applies to everyone except for maybe pichu... and perhaps roy. maybe they could just make doc differ from him a bit more. Not necessarily a different move set, but just make him a little slower and stronger(which he is kinda already, but not that noticable) or faster and weaker. You could give him longer lag or more traction on the ground. Slower fall... he does have a coat. I don't know. This is my view.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Also, the Blue Virus is on Sakurai's list, which probably means that Dr. Mario has a high chance at entering. Dr. Mario might use the Viruses as his Extreme Attack.

One reason why Dr. Mario was added, is because they were trying to use him to promote Dr. Mario 64. Another reason is because Dr. Mario is Nintendo's first puzzle series ever created. It was also one of the earliest Puzzle video game titles ever created.

The-Doc

Smash Cadet
I hope they keep him in the game, but change his DownB to the virus attack. NOBODY uses the tornado as an attack just a recovery. I would LOVE a slower fall with him. His bad recovery kept him out of the upper tier.

-Mace-Solo-

Smash Apprentice
Resting_Fox said:
while the other Mario's doing what? Eating Mushrooms and crawling through the sewers so he can hallucinate about saving a princess in the midst of a Leninist revolt? Not to mention all the innocent turtles that were mamed and gutted along the way... while Mario represents a pathetic form of escapism to deal with his ****ty job.
Holy crap... when you put it like that, you make Mario seem like a terrible person...

Don't get me wrong, as I do love Dr. Mario. He's done alot of great things too. But let's not forget, they ARE the same guy, after all.

Also, how about Mario as a sign of strength and bravery? Hardly escapism or pathetic, my friend. As we know from reading the trophies in melee, Dr. Mario isn't as strong because he stays cooped up in his practice. In other words, he doesn't go out and brave against the many elements going against an ENTIRE kingdom. Which leads me to mentioned "turtles." They're called "koopa troopas." I'm not being a smart alec, as I'm sure you know what they were called. However, they are called that because that's just what they are. Troopers to hold up an ideal that isn't good for many people living in one place.

Ah yes, and I feel I should mention this as well: It's already for sure that Dr. Mario is going to be in Brawl. Didn't you check out the interview?

So in the end, they are the same guy. Now when you say that people use him just because he represents a scholarly mind and lives in the "real world" (once again, same guy. You think the same guy would live in the same place.) and have the audacity to say that he's the one with goodness in his heart... that's pretty one sided for once again: the same guy.

They both help people, just in different ways. Dr. Mario rocks. Normal Mario rocks. Do you also imply that Golfing Mario, Baseball Mario, Racing Mario and all the other Marios like that are ignorant to helping people? It is as it was mentioned before. The same guy.

How about Dr. Mario just has a few different moves that the player prefers over the origonal...?

Speaking of which, for Brawl, I'd perfer him to have a much different attack set. Just so he's not so much of a clone anymore.

TTemp

Smash Journeyman
They just need to let him keep the pills, his current B-air and D-Smash, Sex Kick, and that cape. Other than that, go to town changing stuff. But I actually like the way he plays now, I just don't like the recovery, and having to be a pro button masher to improve it. Well, maybe it'll change, but for now, he's a great character, and even though most people would call him a clone, there's definitely a difference between the way I play Doc and the way I play Mario....

Mr1337

Smash Cadet
I posted on the other Doc thread about this. My main is Doc and I love him to death but I have little hope for his leap to the next gen of smash.

Doc is prob the clone played least like its counterpart, you could make an arguement for the Links though. Doc is played noticeably different than Mario, the main reason being pills and we all know about that.

You can though make a case for Doc for Brawl. He's the only clone to acually have it's own game; and it's a clone of the most popular video game character of all time and the face of the company. Just like they did with Jiggs and Luigi from 64 I think they should tweak Doc into his own character similar to Mario but with his own flair of medicine (pun intended). I mean the Doc has to have a bone saw laying around somewhere.

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
Mr1337 said:
You can though make a case for Doc for Brawl. He's the only clone to acually have it's own game; and it's a clone of the most popular video game character of all time and the face of the company. Just like they did with Jiggs and Luigi from 64 I think they should tweak Doc into his own character similar to Mario but with his own flair of medicine (pun intended). I mean the Doc has to have a bone saw laying around somewhere.
Y. Link had his own game. You could consider Majora's Mask a Y. Link game. The truth is that Mario and Dr. Mario are different fighting styles. If you play one like you play the other, one will suck.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I see Dr. mario as having a 50/50 chance. Sakurai really likes him. I want him in for several reasons, at least as an alt costume for mario. It would be neat if they made Dr. Mario a seperate character from Mario, maybe the third brother of the Mario family.

NukeA6

Smash Master
We don't need Dr. Mario in order to have a pill bottle stage. And if we don't who cares?

Still, he's better than that piece of crap Pichu.

volbound1700

Smash Master
He was a better character then Mario in Melee... a little more heavier and dealt more damage (was slower though). Computer is a lot better with the Doc then regular Mario as well.

raul

Smash Lord
I too like all the characters from Melee including the clones. Dr. Mario was one of my favorite clones. However, if either removng the clones completely or altering them to make Brawl more unique, I'll accept it. I would take Dr. Mario back if he had some new moves and maybe a final smash that involved surgery.

volbound1700

Smash Master
This is the way I see it, if they can stick a clone in at the last minute instead of having less characters overall, I would take the clones. Rather have them in then not.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dr.Mario's chances of returing 50/50?! Now here's someone who needs to get properly teached.

Volbound why do you keep on saying that Sakurai likes Dr.Mario? You have no proof, besides that he liked his music. Dr.Mario is a last minute adition clone who was only added so that Sakurai could still use his music. That doesn't mean that he likes Doc, cause otherwise he would get in with a regular moveset and was planned from the begining of the Melee development.

So what if Mario and Dr.Mario aren't full clones... Noone in Melee is a full clone of another character. Sakurai and his team were luckly creative enough to even give last minute additions as Roy and Ganondorf a unique style which set them of a lot from the original character. For casual players the difference between Doc and Mario are almost insignifant, Sakurai even says that himself in Dr.Mario's trophy.

Besides the infamous pills, Doc has all Mario's moves and animations and even similair stats. No other character in Melee's roster are so similair to each other as Mario and Dr.Mario, and frankly did you expect anything more? Mario and Dr.MARIO? Even Pichu who's apperantly hated on most cause of his low tier ranking is more different from Pikachu than Doc is from Mario, wheter it is a positive difference it another question.

Dr.Mario's "fanbase" also isn't something to speak of, since most fans only like him cause of how good he is in Melee. In competive play Dr.Mario is a high tiered character and because there are so few differences between him and the regular Mario, Mr.Nintendo himself is completely overshadowed by his alter ego in doctor suit. =/ Sure there are still some Mario pro's out there, but they are rare.

Doc's popularity and the fact that you and all other people supporting him all comes from the fact that he's stronger than Mario in Melee, and very few reasons else. Therefore if he where to return in Brawl and Mario'd be better there's no excuse for keeping him in.

Smash Ace
Drclaw411 fails.

I think Doc's chances of returning increased with the absence of a Dr. Mario costume for Mario. if we had seen that, that would have been perfectly justififed way for putting him in (but not in my opinion)
the diff between Dr. Mario and chracters like YL, Pichu, and Roy is that Doc is from his own series. the Super Mario and Dr. Mario series are 2 different things.

Dr. Mario=big effing epic win.

=2007=

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
So what if Dr. Mario is mature, and such? He's still the same Mario, meaning that Mario is all what you mentioned.

Besides... I don't believe the reasons of using Dr. Mario such as "the studies" or something like that, it doesn't makes much sense.

But honestly, if Dr. Mario returns, everyone must return.

And another thing: Ganondorf... a filler? You got to be crazy, he's the Main Antagonist of the Zelda games... at least like 90% of the games, making him even more significant than Dr. Mario is.

altir

Smash Apprentice
wait a minuet. for a doctor their last name goes after the Dr. if marios last name is mario then dr. mario could be someone related to mario. a third brother or his dad mabey?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I was about to come in and say "Dr. Mario doesn't deserve to be in.", but your post was good. Nice.

...but still, it doesn't matter. He's just Mario. We only need one Mario. We also only need one Link. :p

Top Bottom