• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario issues.

Dinoman21

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dinoman21
3DS FC
2621-2745-3543
Not many people might be on the same page with me here....

But Dr. Mario is a good character but his only real problem I've been having is his lack of a "fast attack", maybe there's a term for this here...

I'll like to think every character has that "fast attack" which usually is used to punish a backwards roll, but of course you have to be a good reader...

Characters like fox can just dash attack toward while a character like kirby has to run forth and grab.....

Of course I might get some odd looks and confusion from some players here that don't understand the meta...

Considering how slow and how 'unsafe ' his dash attack is.... It's ether the pill or the grab, but the only safe method to punish a roll would probably be using a pill.... Or possibly a roll?

But those are just really weak, unless you can actually somehow land the hit with the pill and follow up the attack...

I figured the best thing you can do in this situation is stay back unless if you're close enough to land that grab or dash.....

Then again to some I might sound like a bunch of nonsense, and I don't blame them...

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
The only thing actually slow about Dr. Mario is his run; Dr. Mario shares a lot of the same frame data as Mario. Foxtroting and SH Cape out of a dash are probably the best ways to get around his poor movement.

mistersl56

Smash Cadet
____________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I SH DAir backward rolls typically. Not much of an issue when I'm keeping on my toes.

Doc being a bit slow doesn't seem to be that big of an issue. He's good at warding off aggressors with BAir, NAir, and Tornado. He forces approaches with pills and punishes errors with drills, tornadoes, Up Smash, DThrow and UTilt combos, OoS Up B...

Right now I wanna focus on his off-stage game. It's risky with how a single bad hit can instantly doom Doc, but off-stage super sheet can still be a thing, stage gimp Up B's is a thing, and I'm curious as to the gimping capabilities of tornado.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I SH DAir backward rolls typically. Not much of an issue when I'm keeping on my toes.

Doc being a bit slow doesn't seem to be that big of an issue. He's good at warding off aggressors with BAir, NAir, and Tornado. He forces approaches with pills and punishes errors with drills, tornadoes, Up Smash, DThrow and UTilt combos, OoS Up B...

Right now I wanna focus on his off-stage game. It's risky with how a single bad hit can instantly doom Doc, but off-stage super sheet can still be a thing, stage gimp Up B's is a thing, and I'm curious as to the gimping capabilities of tornado.
Tornado is actually incredible for offstage kills. It can kill Bowser at roughly 70% with no rage if you edgeguard with it right and you're far enough out, and yes, Doc can make it back.

It's definitely an offensive move in this game.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
If your opponent does a back roll completely away from you, throw a pill. If he's rolling behind you, usmash has a hitbox that starts right behind doc. Dsmash is also sort of a punish, with the 1st hit beating an attack at that range, and the 2nd hit connecting with a roll behind you if they chose to do that instead.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Tornado is actually incredible for offstage kills. It can kill Bowser at roughly 70% with no rage if you edgeguard with it right and you're far enough out, and yes, Doc can make it back.

Actually what I wanna try is something I saw Boss doing with Luigi during a tournament yesterday. He was gimping with the tornado, not hitting them with the end part of the attack, and the opponent just fell and didn't recover. Wanna see how viable it was with Doc. It may be a Luigi thing only though considering how strong each hit of his tornado is.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Actually what I wanna try is something I saw Boss doing with Luigi during a tournament yesterday. He was gimping with the tornado, not hitting them with the end part of the attack, and the opponent just fell and didn't recover. Wanna see how viable it was with Doc. It may be a Luigi thing only though considering how strong each hit of his tornado is.
It's possible if you mash hard enough. Luigi's is better though since he can rise much higher.

MegaBlaster1234

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Srib64

I completely agree and promote off stage Dr. Tornado use.
If you read an air dodge and they already wasted their second jump, unless they're Villager or someone like that, you can get a really early gimp because of the super strong base knockback Dr. Tornado has.
Trading is not an issue because of how much priority that move has. It's ridiculous.
What really sucks is when Dr. Tornado launches them the wrong way and they land on stage earlier than you.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
If they roll charge an up smash use the Tornado like everyone is saying. Rolling is one of the worst things you can do against a good Doc or Luigi. Or Mac.

Top Bottom