• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario: A Playstyle, Combo, and Anti-Edgeguard Guide

Dr. Mario: A Playstyle, Combo, and Anti-Edgeguard Guide

KeeblerGuy

Smash Cadet
KeeblerGuy submitted a new guide:

Dr. Mario: A Playstyle, Combo, and Anti-Edgeguard Guide - Learn how to play this Doctor effectively!

Hello! My name is KeeblerGuy, an upcoming Dr. Mario main. I will apoligize in advance for I have no ways of recording footage from Smash 4 to demonstrate somethings. There are many things to Dr. Mario that I will now discuss, so let us get right into it.

TL;DR
Pros:
Forces opponents to approach with Pills
Pill Gimps
Good Roll, Spot Dodge, and Air dodge punish via Dr. Tornado
Great Grab, Ground, and Air...
Read more about this guide...

Astronut

Smash Apprentice
Great guide! Really made me think to abuse the back hit of uair more, since it leads into bair so nicely.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
This guide covers a lot of important ground for people who actually want to play this character. A good opener to his pros and cons and some good general advice.

A helpful list of combos is also appreciated and will go a long way in encouraging experimentation.

Also welcome to the Doc boards, hope you enjoy using this character! He is the epitome of style and requires a lot of player skill and dexterity.

Last edited:

KeeblerGuy

Smash Cadet
This guide covers a lot of important ground for people who actually want to play this character. A good opener to his pros and cons and some good general advice.

A helpful list of combos is also appreciated and will go a long way in encouraging experimentation.

Also welcome to the Doc boards, hope you enjoy using this character! He is the epitome of style and requires a lot of player skill and dexterity.
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Dark Emperor Hardin

Smash Cadet
Excellent guide. Although, I don't recall you mentioning the Up B redirecting in the edgeguarding section, I feel as though it's worth mentioning since I've gotten KOs when my opponents were in the 50-70% range, albeit hard to pull off against certain characters.

KeeblerGuy

Smash Cadet
Excellent guide. Although, I don't recall you mentioning the Up B redirecting in the edgeguarding section, I feel as though it's worth mentioning since I've gotten KOs when my opponents were in the 50-70% range, albeit hard to pull off against certain characters.
That is good point! Thanks for mentioning. A common way to edgeguard is Cape them offstage, then follow up with UpB, reversing the sweetspotted hit. Kills around +70% depending on the weight of the character.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
What I meant by poorly written: it's not written practically and it's sort of like you are lost in thought. For example, the pros and cons are written as if the reader is already a Doc player who already knows what you are saying like when you list "Dair Priority" as a pro, and some of them are, or at least sound like, not very important details. To fix this you need to have one that summarizes as much as possible like instead of saying "Quick Effective Smashes", "Pill Gimps"," Up B Stage Spikes and Combo Enders", and "Good Edgeguarder with Bair, Uair Up Air, DownB, SideB, and Pills", you can say "Dr. Mario is great at killing because of his fast yet strong smashes and up special along with his excellent edgeguarding with his bair and cape" or say "great at killing".

You could also change the format of it. You could have a section for edgeguarding, one for combos, one for the neutral game, one for recovery, etc. Instead of the all over the place state it is now. I was exaggerating how bad the guide is, but 3 stars isn't bad so I'll leave it at that until you change it. It's actually a pretty good guide.

KeeblerGuy

Smash Cadet
What I meant by poorly written: it's not written practically and it's sort of like you are lost in thought. For example, the pros and cons are written as if the reader is already a Doc player who already knows what you are saying like when you list "Dair Priority" as a pro, and some of them are, or at least sound like, not very important details. To fix this you need to have one that summarizes as much as possible like instead of saying "Quick Effective Smashes", "Pill Gimps"," Up B Stage Spikes and Combo Enders", and "Good Edgeguarder with Bair, Uair Up Air, DownB, SideB, and Pills", you can say "Dr. Mario is great at killing because of his fast yet strong smashes and up special along with his excellent edgeguarding with his bair and cape" or say "great at killing".

You could also change the format of it. You could have a section for edgeguarding, one for combos, one for the neutral game, one for recovery, etc. Instead of the all over the place state it is now. I was exaggerating how bad the guide is, but 3 stars isn't bad so I'll leave it at that until you change it. It's actually a pretty good guide.
I never directed the guide towards new players/new Doc players, but the organization is bad and I will come back to change it. Thank you for the feedback.

Top Bottom