• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Downloadable Content: A Good or Bad thing for the Roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fun With Knives

Smash Rookie
Given what they're doing with New Super Mario Bros. U's Luigi DLC, I'd say DLC is now a very serious possibility, especially with a game like Smash. I wouldn't mind spending money for some DLC characters, so long as it's not too pricey.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I would absolutely love to see DLC implemented. I just hope it's free, or at least dirt cheap.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I more or less think that if DLC is used, i would rather it be used to give us new stages music tracks and maybe costumes as opposed to entirely new characters. I really don't know how to articulate this thought process but that's just what i think. overall it's kind of asking a lot for Sakurai's team to continue working on entire characters for SSB4 even after its released.
Not if they sell enough at the right price to make it worth it.

While it would be a nice element to implement DLC characters into the mix, that can come back to bite you whenever you do Wi-Fi battles.

Basically, if someone has a character that you haven't purchased yet, the DLC data that gets stored onto your SD card will have to be able to update itself so that it can recognize that very character.
We're hoping that they give us updates to maintain balance as well. If that' the case then we're getting updates anyway, so why not update you with the characters you don't have? It'll just make the update time take a little longer. No biggie.
I play FIFA and they update the rosters every single week and it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Did he actually say that he wanted it? That article just seems to say that they didn't because they couldn't. Unless I totally missed it.

If it turns out he wanted it, then it's pretty much guaranteed we get it in some way shape or form this time.

DLC should happen for sure, but they need to balance it out

A few categories that could be added to:

-Characters
-Costumes
-Music
-Stages
-Assist Trophies

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Know what would be better then DLC music? Having the option to add music saved on your console to the game.

I've seen games do this before. So it's not that far fetched.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Did he actually say that he wanted it? That article just seems to say that they didn't because they couldn't. Unless I totally missed it.

If it turns out he wanted it, then it's pretty much guaranteed we get it in some way shape or form this time.
I read somewhere else that he wanted it but it might have just been a poor trans or the right one...(-_-)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm currently playing through The Last Story, and while I still prefer Shulk, I like Zael quite a bit. I'm really hoping Zael turns out to be a DLC candidate.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Zael AND Aeron

Can't have two and not compete the trifecta
True. I bought Pandora's Tower on Thursday and I have yet to play it. Once I finish The Last Story i'll start it.

I'm sure if they release DLC in packages with particular themes, Zael and Aeron would be grouped together. However I have no opinion on Aeron yet because I haven't played his game. However i'm on Chapter 27 of TLS, so i'm almost there.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
DLC music?
I mentioned before in this thread and I would still love to see it happen is not just music DLC but fan made Music DLC someone makes a remix of a song and posts it for others to download. That would add a ton of music to Smash Bros some of which would be very good.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
If a DLC pack is released with the characters Skull Kid, Paper Mario, Plusle & Minun, and King K. Rool, and each character came with a home stage, being Clock Town for Skull Kid, a stage (a performing stage) for Paper Mario, The Distortion World for Plusle & Minun, and a Pirate Ship for King K. Rool, what would be the maximum amount of money you would play for this Dlc pack.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I dug this out of Shortie's poll thread on part of how, well, this is a DLC thread.
First off, understand the fact that after a game is finished with development, there's a several week period before the game reaches stores and can actually be sold to the public. Between that time, the development team has nothing to do and profits from the game don't come rolling in for around a month or longer. It's during that 4~6 week period that some developers decide to create DLC, which gives them something to use ideas they didn't initially have time for, create additional game content for us to enjoy, and provide them with the funds to work on future games. It's a win-win for all of us when DLC is done right.

Now, apply this to DLC for Smash Bros. Nintendo has shown they're very respectful with DLC, as seen with Fire... well, you know, that game's DLC. We get additional content like characters and stages that don't make the initial cut. Sakurai and his team have time to focus on improving the game further by balancing characters as long as they need to before releasing them. The masses are kept happy and no longer crawl down Nintendo's necks insisting that we get the next Smash Bros. now, meaning they don't have to worry about delaying the game in the series in that they have all the time they need. They have more money, which can go into funding Sora's next project, be it a new game or SSB5 in general. It's a vicious cycle of benefit for both the consumers and the developers. The situation becomes a win-win for both the Smash Bros. team and the Smash Bros. community.

Convinced?

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
DLC, of course, isn't an inherently bad idea.

Some companies use DLC in bad ways: Day 1 DLC. Day 1 DLC makes people upset because it seems like the company is just cutting content from the actual game to sell ASAP (issues with Mass Effect 3 DLC, Catwoman's playability in Arkham City, etc.). There is evidence that some companies do just that while some get cracking in that 4-6 week period mentioned by God Robert's Cousin and it can release alongside the game.

Nintendo, doesn't seem as greedy as some companies So they wouldn't just cut content to make you pay for it later. What you would be getting with Nintendo DLC (as many people have mentioned before) is ideas that weren't possible to incorporate without pushing the game's release date back (which would annoy people or mean that said content would be gone forever).

In Smash DLC would likely be a good thing. Characters which didn't quite make the cut would likely be well received by most Smashers. In a fighting game, DLC can be tricky to implement. You will likely leave some fans out in the cold about characters they wanted (and that will certainly happen in a cross-over fighting game). Provided that there isn't a season pass incident, like with Injustice: Gods Among Us (where people bought 4 characters for the price of 3 before they were revealed) Smash DLC would likely go off with out any, major, outrage.

As for a prediction of how Smash DLC could work, I say: Characters would likely come bundled with a personal Stage and a few Music Tracks. There is also a possibility of standalone DLC stages, but Stage Builder downloads may alleviate boredom of overusing stages. I couldn't see DLC characters costing very much unless they were 3rd party (which would be unlikely). Alternatively, DLC characters may making playing this game with friends slightly dissappointing. Specifically if you have a character and they don't. (I only say this because I play Brawl and other SSB games with friends at many different households. Though, this is a minor complaint.)

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
As long as it was done well, it'd be very cool to see. There are characters who would be very cool, but don't have enough popularity or recency to make it on disc, like say, Porky. Mother probably isn't big enough for 3 on disc reps, but there are a lot of fans who would be very interested in playing as him, so he'd make sense as DLC. If, on the other hand, I open up the game and Nintendo wants $20 for the other half of the on disc roster, I'd first of all ask when EA bought out Nintendo, and then I'd be pissed and probably return the game. But Nintendo seems to know how to do DLC alright, so I'm not worried.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I really hope they do. There are so many good characters that would make great DLC, but wouldn't make sense on the core roster.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I'm down for it as long as no new characters or stages are implemented. I want that part finished.

Maybe items, costumes, new special fight options, online options, miscellaneous events related to homerun and target smash, cinematics, and general patches to prioritize gameplay(not balance patches).

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm down for it as long as no new characters or stages are implemented. I want that part finished.

Maybe items, costumes, new special fight options, online options, miscellaneous events related to homerun and target smash, cinematics, and general patches to prioritize gameplay(not balance patches).
How come they couldn't make a good size roster at release, then make more later?

Groose

Smash Champion
Eh. Depends on how it's implemented. I'd definitely buy, but it may or may not irk me.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
3 types of character DLC I'd be happy with

1. Missing characters
Roy, Dr Mario ect.

2. Too Recent to be included
Wonder Red, Gen 6 Pokemon

3. New third parties
Bayonetta, Pac-Man

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Just give me a Melee pack(Mewtwo, Roy, Doc, Pichu, Young Link), and a pack for the planned characters you didn't have time to complete before the games release I'll be good. People will rip the code no doubt and find who was planned and who isn't finished long before DLC is implemented.

If it's a question of balance then just balance it via updates as things are discovered by the community. You know, like every game ever should be doing these days.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I would gladly get DLC if is implemented well, like characters that didn´t make it to the initial roster:

Retro DLC:
Prince Sable
Hakkun
Donbe and Hikari (tag team as Ice Climbers).

Project Rainfall DLC:
Shulk (If he dosen´t make it).
Aereon
Zael

1 more please DLC:
Bowser Jr. (If he dosen´t get).
Krystal (If she dosen´t get).
Dixie or King K. Rool (If he dosen´t get).

New Blood DLC:
Captain Rainbow (I don´t know if he is second or third party?).
Dillon
Wonder Red

.n_n.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Since we've been learning more about Smash 4, I think it's fair to say that any DLC for Smash 4 will likely be characters who didn't make it in time for initial release. Quite honestly, that would be perfect for what Sakurai's vision for Smash Bros. is. If he doesn't want any cuts, then he can get as much as he possibly get done, done. Afterwards, they can finish up whatever is left via releasing it as DLC.

So as an example, take Lucario and Ike. If they get cut, Sakurai can simply finish them up after the game is "finished", and release them later, along with maybe a few stage concepts. Depending on how much Sakurai doesn't finish by the time of release, I think that will determine the price of particular things. If they had alternate costumes in mind, but didn't implement them, he can finish them and release them later. I don't see things getting over priced for Smash. Nintendo doesn't seem like the type of company to screw their customers like that. While Luigi U was $20, it was $20 for essentially an add on that was the same size as the entire game it was meant for. So really, that's a deal.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think for the main game emphasis is going to be placed on characters from new series. Smash Bros taught us all who Ness and Marth were but if they were available separate I don't think we'd all buy them. Unless DLC was done in packs with 3 well known characters and one obscure one.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'd just love it if they balanced the game post-release via DLC. I'm more concerned about them balancing existing characters in the game than adding new content.

God knows, I'm sure they could've fixed a whole pile of things wrong with Brawl and made it a more competitive game as a result.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would welcome DLC with open arms if and only if the game is released before them.

One of SSB's biggest flaws, if not THE biggest, is that, throughout the time, after a Smash game came out, new Nintendo titles get releases after, and then the Smash game becomes old news pretty quickly.

DLC would be the best way to serve the purpose of updating Smash's with fresh content mostly from new games which will be highly topical after SSB4's release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom