• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down tilt...?

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
I'm VERY new to the competitive smash scene, so hello, guys!

I've found a use for almost all of Tink's moves, but I can't find a use for his down tilt, other than the occasional situational edgeguard. Are there any other uses, or is that it?

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
Thanks, good to know! I was playing with it a bit today, and noticed that it can combo into dash attack, and maybe up smash, so that's nice. Still, it seems like it would be a bit impractical to use in most situations.

I'll see if I can fit it into a match sometime.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Dtilt is primarily a combo starter (and since the tip is a meteor I believe it is able to break CCing). I tend to use Dtilt a good bit since Tink as a good low profile crouch (ain't no Kirby or puff level but it is still good). You can also do Jab > Jab > Dtilt. Can set-up into an Fair depending on where you hit with it and the opponent's DI.

It's a good move.

AndrogynousOkami

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-2412-4203
Dtilt is wonderful wonderful wonderful. Like really, I'm in love with it. The way it pops your opponent up makes it an amazing combo starter; you can dtilt into nair or fair, and like mimgrim said, with the right spacing and timing, you can jab cancel into it, even off the ledge if you're lucky/clever. It's like utilt except on the ground instead of an anti-air. It's one of my main combo starters, along with nair and bair (and obviously projectiles). Use it a lot against fastfallers.

None of Toon Link's moves are useless. He has a very full moveset.

Also, excellent profile picture and name. I'm replaying that game right now, actually!

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
:D thanks guys! I didn't realize it had good combo potential until recently. Now that I know, I'm definitely going to be using it more often. I still think it's a bit hard to fit into a movement-heavy character, but maybe with good timing...

(Afterthought: is crouch cancel -> dtilt a good option when they use weaker attacks?)

Also, it's good to know you can jab cancel->dtilt. I don't know if it would mix up opponent DI that much, but it's nice to be able to combo out of jabs.

AndrogynousOkami, Minish Cap is my favorite Zelda game EVER! Okami's pretty good too, btw.

Last edited:

AndrogynousOkami

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-2412-4203
Crouch cancel > dtilt isgreat, yes. Jab cancelling has pretty strict timing, but it's quite rewarding if you can get it down.

Okami rules. I should go back and play it again.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Dtilt is very rewarding. It sets up for dair spikes really well if hit with the tip. It has more lag than other moves of comparable nature (Roy and mks dtilts), but given the meteor hit on the tip, and it's overall reward within tinks kit, it makes sense

SiberianGinseng

Smash Rookie
I also think it's one of the most reliable setups into a sweetspot up b. Back air relies on the flub and doesn't really work with floaties as it hits them too far away, forward throw doesn't work at all anymore, and tink's throws are kind of tough to combo into an up b imo

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
Great feedback :) thanks so much! I'll make sure to try some of these things out when I come back from vacation (didn't bring my Wii...).

Top Bottom