• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down Throw vs Up Throw?

smesty

Smash Cadet
I'm noticing some players switching between the two, and other players only using one throw.

Rewatching some Zero sets, he never Dthrows, only up.

When should you be using each?

Recently been downthrowing at low and upthrowing at high% but I'm unsure.

c:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Dthrow is easier to DI out of so it's only really usable at low percentages OR if you notice your opponent always DIs in front of you at mid percents. It's also an okay DI mixup if you get a grab facing away from the ledge, but it doesn't really lead into anything (maybe uair?) at percentages where bthrow will actually kill.

Uthrow combos at lowish percentages are usually slightly suboptimal (eg. uthrow bair bair is slightly worse than dthrow bair bair BUT it seemingly works up to a slightly higher percentage, uthrow dair isn't guaranteed while dthrow dair is, etc.) but at higher percentages they're basically unavoidable when dthrow combos become quite difficult to connect.

Uthrow is Diddy's least damaging throw and uair is Diddy's least damaging aerial so avoid uthrow uair outside of kill percents (~130%, try to stale uthrow but not uair). Uthrow bair (9%) or fair (10/8%) are your most valuable options aside from reading an airdodge. Also remember that stage positioning is important too, bthrow alone does more % than uthrow uair so it's worth using particularly if it puts your opponent offstage.

tl;dr downthrow until it stops working or you can only get an uair, then uthrow fair/bair

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I'm noticing some players switching between the two, and other players only using one throw.

Rewatching some Zero sets, he never Dthrows, only up.

When should you be using each?

Recently been downthrowing at low and upthrowing at high% but I'm unsure.

c:
Uthrow and Dthrow both have there uses. Try to watch ZeRo's most recent sets, I believe I posted them in the video thread. In is most recent sets, he uses almost every combo in the book. What this does, is the opponent never knows what he is going to do. There is no optimal DI option if you might use one of 15 different combos.

At low percents, Uthrow is best used. Make sure to use Uthrow twice. The best formula is usually Uthrow-Uair/Bair. Then Dthrow is sometimes used into a Bair/Fair. Afterwhich, Uthrow-Bair-Bair is usually possible.

Sometimes, people use Uthrow-Uair in order to get Uthrow-Dair. This not only deals a lot of damage, it also stales Uthrow enough.

Learn the combos for Dthrow, but remember that Uthrow has the better combos. Mix them up and keep your opponent guessing.

kaz99

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
KAZ#306
Switch FC
SW-3846-9922-7779
Dthrow got nerfed so that you can't follow up at high percents, or it becomes very difficult at least. Uthrow is the best option at mid-high percents. As Pazx said, go for downthrow until it stops working, and then go for uthrow to fair/bair. Save the uair for high percents.

Top Bottom