• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down B Invincibility

Kleinersaphire

Smash Rookie
Hey Y'all,

anyone know of any testing down on the Down B's super armor? I find it very inconsistent, sometimes nullifying big hits and other times being trumped when I thought for sure I had it.

Anyone else feel like this?

Midoriki

Smash Cadet
Did some testing :)

The armor itself seems to be consistent once its out, but it takes 18 frames to be active (when the smoke effect and controller rumble starts) which at first made me think it grew stronger over time, maybe that's what you're experiencing?

Some other properties I found:

- Moves hitting the armor do 4/5 of their normal damage.

- Breaking the armor is just based on the % your opponent's attack deals. The threshold is either 14.4% or 14.5% after damage reduction. Any hit that does less % than that does no knockback no matter how far it would have sent you without the armor.

- The armor will still work through multiple hits as long as no individual hit would have broken the armor on its own. e.g. Cloud's cross-slash does well over the damage threshold in total but will not break through the armor.

- The armor does not stop capes, windboxes, paralysis, or sleep, but it does prevent being buried as long as the burying move does not cross the damage threshold. e.g. an un-inked Plant will not be buried by Inkling's roller, but a completely inked Plant will.

Last edited:

Kleinersaphire

Smash Rookie
Nice! This is great info.

I have also noticed that then doing down b in the air, or especially while affected by knockback, you'll enter the pot and then seemingly be affected by a random windbox. You'll enter the pot, begin your turn/angle, but also.. PP seems to slide mid-air in a weird direction that seems unrelated to their momentum. Am I crazy?

Midoriki

Smash Cadet
Nice! This is great info.

I have also noticed that then doing down b in the air, or especially while affected by knockback, you'll enter the pot and then seemingly be affected by a random windbox. You'll enter the pot, begin your turn/angle, but also.. PP seems to slide mid-air in a weird direction that seems unrelated to their momentum. Am I crazy?
I haven't noticed that, but I do know that weird things can happen when you are using Down-B and Neutral-B in the air and are hit by wind boxes. The momentum canceling on those moves seems a little janky when The Plant already has a lot of momentum ^^"

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
Plants down b is weird it has super armor but at the same time it doesn’t, all I know is jiggly puff can hit a sing and rest against you if you use down b from across the map.

Windfall

Smash Rookie
Plants' hurtbox covers head, neck and pot when it extends, I've gotten the middle of my neck stage spiked down, that was hilarious to watch

Top Bottom