• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down Air: When to use it

Felth

Smash Apprentice
I have my questions about this move as a spacing tool or when to use it specially in the neutral game. My main question is why to use this move as a spacing tool instead to Fair which I think it's safer because the hitbox protects the hurtbox more than the Dair. Can someone explain why and when to use this move?

Watching videos and also under my experience these are good situations to use the move ( At the time I find videos of the corresponding techniques I'll upload the corresponding links):

• If your opponent is in lag and you are in the air, dair is one of the bests ways to punish. For example you jump ZSS grab then punish with Dair.
  • If your opponent is in the ledge and you read that he is going to jump then it's timed well Dair it's a good option to punish the jump.
  • It's a good tool for gimping. In some situations under my opinion is the best aerial option, for example if you are gimping Mario and you are above him then Dair is the best choice to trade with my
  • Mario's up b also with Fox.
  • In low percent if you lock your opponent there's a good combo of dair into a grab, this is better than a Smash in low percent.

If you know other important uses of this move please post it on this post. Thanks :4pikachu:

Noro~

Smash Cadet
While Fair is the superior spacing tool, it sucks as soon as the opponent starts challenging it with his own moves. It sucks at trading. Dair, however, deals a good 12% so it almost always trades in our favor.
I also like to use it when I get Upaired by Fox or 50:50ed by ROB and Sheik. You can trade with the first hit of Foxes Upair when you see him jumping up to you, or with the looping hits of Sheiks and ROBs Upair when they expect an Airdodge after the Downthrow.

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
Fair does less damage Dair punishes spot dodges way harder Dair keeps people guessing. Dair isnt just about the attack it self Dair has a built in bait and a built in punish to it you can dair in empty space some people will try to go after you run back and Fsmash you can dair cross someone up. you can dair and challenge a lot of attacks cause the hitbox and trade with people. it kills it lingers its a way harder punish then fair you can keep pressure on foes after you land it really aggressively or wind back defensively. Basically if your going off basic conditioning Grab a bit conditioning accordingly they will shield (this is assuming person is actually smart enough to try and counter what your doing) person spot dodges Dair them ez damage even if they try attacking (character dependent) its not a bad thing also remember you can opt for the landing hit box catch people off guard

just watch out for people who know about the your dair first hit nails their shield cause they can shield grab it before the second hit comes out.

and to the above poster Bair marios up B every single time you have little business Dairing it the Bair semi spike has a really good chance of killiing mario in general. because if mario recovers to high you can Fsmash the ledge due to him not auto snaping from to high so most marios are gonna go for the sweetspot. if you intercept them low enough (and if you will have time if you could dair) you will definitely nail them with the Bair which will send him below the ledge and the marios losing that stock.

Shram

Smash Cadet
Dair, the move that single-handedly won my last tournament game against a Sonic.

Jesus, spindash didn't have a chance.

Top Bottom