• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down Air to Up Air Jab Reset

ーBKー

Smash Rookie
NNID
x.irumi.x
As everyone here knows, Ganondorf down air is great combo tool starting from low %s.
When you land a down air on most of the cast at certain %s the opponet won't be able to act before he hits the ground.
So, if your opponent misses the tech, you can follow up with a jab reset up air and it's guaranteed on those %s if you are facing in the opposite direction of your opponent (can work even if you face in the same direction but needs higher %s). This can be very usefull since it gives you at least a free smash, and potentially a stock.
These are the %s in which this works, on lower % the opponent won't get knocked down by the down air, on higher %s the opponent will be able to jump out. Characters with a "No" can always jump out before they reach the ground.
:4mario:/:4drmario:10-11%
:4luigi:No
:4peach:No
:4bowser:No
:4yoshi:No
:rosalina:No
:4bowserjr:9-15%
:4wario2:11-16%
:4dk:13-19%
:4diddy:9-19%
:4gaw:No
:4littlemac:7-18%
:4link:11-16%
:4zelda:No
:4sheik:8-10%
:4ganondorf:12-17%
:4tlink:No
:4samus:No
:4zss:7-13%
:4pit:/:4darkpit:9-11%
:4palutena:9-13%
:4marth:/:4lucina:9-13%
:4myfriends:11-18%
:4robinf:9-11%
:4duckhunt:9-15%
:4kirby:No
:4dedede:13-33%
:4metaknight:7-13%
:4fox:7-13%
:4falco:7-15%
:4pikachu:7-10%
:4charizard:No
:4lucario:10-18%
:4jigglypuff:No
:4greninja:9%
:4rob:11-16%
:4ness:No
:4falcon:11-21%
:4villager:No
:4olimar:No
:4wiifitm:No
:4shulk:10-12%
:4shulk:10-18% (Jump)
:4shulk:10-12% (Speed)
:4shulk:32-34% (Shield)
:4shulk:8% (Buster)
:4shulk:7-8% (Smash)
:4pacman:No
:4megaman:10-22%
:4sonic:9%
:4mewtwo:6%
:4lucas:No
:4feroy:9-19%
:4ryu:10-12%
:4cloud:10-17%
:4cloud2:10-22% (Limit Charged)
:4corrinf:10-15%
:4bayonetta2:8-15%
These %s will vary if the opponent is crouching, charging a smash or if there are too much down airs in your stale queue since they decrease/increase knockback.
Since 12% is the damage that a grounded flame choke deals, you can get this on a missed tech back roll read of a flame choke at 0% on most of characters (just a potential use).
Here there are some nasty things you can do out of dair to uair reset, they're hard to pull off in a real match though.
Cresits to がのふ for this one.
Credits to ぐんぐにる for this one.
Note: Lighter characters with good air speed can significantly DI after the footstool, so be ready to follow up with another dair or a fair when possible.
These are some other setups.
Can up air instead of fair after the wizard kick and upair is guaranteed.
On air dodge read.
The final choke is just for fun.
I hope this can be usefull and sorry if my english is terrible.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
A little higher % across the board (30-40 range in my experience) and you can footstool after the dair, making the landing on the ground untechable. Then the tipman reset to party time combo.

ーBKー

Smash Rookie
NNID
x.irumi.x
A little higher % across the board (30-40 range in my experience) and you can footstool after the dair, making the landing on the ground untechable. Then the tipman reset to party time combo.
Yeah you can get them at higher %s too but your opponent can jump out before he reachs the ground. I just put the %s where the opponent can't really do anything after the down air (except teching).
But yeah if the opponent falls to the ground you can get it even at higher %s.
And yeah you can footstool after dair too but i intentionally decided to not talk about those setups to not make confusion and cause it would need to test the %s in which you can use footstool before your opponent can act.

Last edited:

mgleed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mgleed
Any tips for actually pulling off the reset? I struggle landing the tipman reset consistently on a lot of the cast, even in training. Is it best to start the uair as you're rising from SH, as you FF from the apex, to try to hit with the toe or the calf?

ーBKー

Smash Rookie
NNID
x.irumi.x
It depends by the opponent and percent, try going vs Ganon in training starting from around 20% and going down by a single percent every time.
At around that percent should be really easy to land since you can kinda do just sh rising upair without even fastfalling it, the trick is hitting with the up air as soon as you see the missed tech animation. At 12% the timing is kinda strict, you kinda have to rising upair, wait a fraction of second and then fastfall it. You will hit with the toe at around belly height most of times on Ganon(i think). Then try with other opponents once you get the timing down.
Also always fastfall dair after you land it, it helps a lot.

Last edited:

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
I've found a really good way to practice is by playing against a greninja in training(shortest character in the game, about as tall as most toppled characters) set to stop, then put damage at 70% and go nearish the ledge(corrin fsmash distance away). Then try it, if you have no landing lag you did it too early and auto cancelled it above Greninja, if you have landing lag but don't connect you did it too late. If you hit then greninja slides offstage and will immediately jump back to right in front of you, allowing you to keep practicing. I do it 5 times in a row every day to get consistent.

ーBKー

Smash Rookie
NNID
x.irumi.x
No, expecially at higher %, but always fastfall after it hits.

Last edited:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Another thing that helps is positioning to the side so that only the shins hit instead of coming from directly above. That was messing me up for a while on the tipman resets.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Tbh I sucked at landing tip resets and that's why I've focused on fatools instead.

Good thread maybe this will help me lol

VenomCB

Smash Cadet
Any tips on actually getting the footstool though? I come from a primarily PM background and in PM you press a taunt button to activate footstool. For some reason I really have trouble getting an intentional footstool in smash4 even though I can get them almost always on command in PM.

Also on clip number 4. The down-b ledge cancel into f-air. I can get the ledge cancel, but for some reason it always comes out as a n-air even if I am c-sticking to the side. Is there some timing thing I'm doing wrong?

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Also on clip number 4. The down-b ledge cancel into f-air. I can get the ledge cancel, but for some reason it always comes out as a n-air even if I am c-sticking to the side. Is there some timing thing I'm doing wrong?
Stuff like that happens because of the buffering in this game.
Last time I read of something such as this was when the game came out so don't take my word for truth regarding why that happens, even if at the time the story was exactly the same, just with "Uair" in place of "Fair". Anyway, the reason is (or at least was) because the buffering in this game is reduced to a single command in the queue, as such the game registers only the "A" portion of your command and ignores the"forward" one. In other words you do not try to buffer that directional stuff.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I mash jump like I'm a luigi main my friend

ーBKー

Smash Rookie
NNID
x.irumi.x
I mash jump too.
I don't know if this is the best way but if i need to delay the footstool for some reason, I wait a bit then I start mashing jump like a mad man instead of jump => wait a bit => footstool.
And yeah, I had the nair problem too in a first moment. I just wait a bit before imputting the fair/uair, I guess this avoids the buffer problem.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
By the way if you have dark fists on I found and extremely lethal kill set up based off this. It goes Dair > (misses tech) > Uair lock > Dair, SH > SH double jump > Dark Fists hit 1 and 2

Top Bottom