• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doubles With Marth

Nike.

Smash Hero
I need help for doubles. I've never played doubles in tournament, but next month I will. My partner is Marth (duh) and can really use some advice in regards to what they can do together, how they can support, set up with grabs, the works.

Thanks in Advance

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Marth's uthrow can set up an easy fair for you. Similarly, Sheik's dthrow can lead to a tipper by Marth. I've also seen Marth bthrow to a charged up Sheik's usmash.

Keep off platforms when playing with a Marth partner, as he will likely go for tippers when a member of the opposing team is on a platform.

Watch for openings where you can go in for a fair (opponent grabs, lags, etc.).

Let Marth do the edgeguarding, he's the best edgeguarder for a reason. You'll only get in his way.

Try the infinite with Marth that Ken and Isai did (you jab while Marth grabs and hits the guy), it humiliates opponents.

Randizzle

Smash Ace
I think the most important thing in this team is just understanding the marth's play style. Know when to shield so you don't get hit by his fsmash. Know when to get out of the way so you don't get comboed. And learn when to jump in and help him out.

both sheik's and marth's bthrow and fthrow lead into smashes (marth's dthrow works as well since it sends the opponent backward). As mentioned, marth's uthrow sets up for your aerials, but make sure that the marth player isn't trying to combo on his own as you'll get hit as well or you'll just be in his way (and as a marth player, i usually hate that in teams).

a very important thing to note is that you want to stay out of the marth's way when he's on the offensive. Marth likes to have some room in teams, and sheik doesn't like to get caught up in a friendly marth's combos. However, you also have to learn to use your speed to quickly save your partner whenever he's getting comboed by sheiks, falcos, foxes aerials, falcons, other marths, etc.

although marth may have the best edgeguarding game, sheik is still very good at edgeguarding. So really, the player that edgeguards should primarily depend on whatever is most convenient at the moment. You simply need to work this out with your teammate and get a feel for when each player does the edgeguarding.

watch ken and isai's team matches for a good idea of some more possibilities.

dude225

Smash Apprentice
marth is a tough teammate if he isnt careful. honestly be careful around him and give him space, but if he is up against a falco or sheik, pay attention and help if he starts to get comboed

like randizzle said, go for edgegaurding if it is more convenient for you than him.

the grab game is simpler than what its being made out to be. just set a target percentage. marth's grabbing becomes a much less affective combo starter once a floaty character gets about 60 damage, so just space yourself and ready a f-air or u-air.

the easiest thing you can do for grabs at high percentages is grab and let him tip the opponent. lol, but that takes lots of trust, because if he gets eager, he could tip you and not even kill the opponent.

and another thing is be careful yourself, a missed needle here or an accidental grab there can throw him off and get both of you killed. Lord knows an accidental f-air from you would KO him even at 50 %.

k, good luck. i love this pairing, but it is tough.

Top Bottom