• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doubles stage legality

Ghostbone

Smash Master
So in my experience in doubles some tournaments will often have a few extra stages legal compared to singles. Which makes me think whether some stages are actually more legitimate in doubles than singles and vice versa.

There's the old argument of, every 2v2 will eventually end in a 2v1 or 1v1, and the stage will have all the problems that it has in singles at that point, but in a 2v1 situation the team with both players is likely to win anyway, which really only leaves the problem of 1v1. But is it worth giving up the extra depth (from the entirety of the match while it's 2v2) stages banned in singles can provide because of this? Does the stage still lack depth (which is the reason said stage is banned in singles) due to a broken tactic?
Also what singles tactics are no longer a problem in doubles, or to what extent are they still a problem? Is walk-off camping still broken? Fin camping? Circle Camping?

There's also the possibility that some stages become worse in doubles, an example I could see is Green Greens which becomes harder to manage when there's 4 players instead of 2.

One example of a stage which could be more legitimate in doubles is Norfair. Characters like Wario are going to find it hard to win a match by running away when their partner is getting ganged up on, or when being chased by two foes at the same time.

Discuss!

I always thought that we should have a bigger stage list for doubles.

The argument that the game will eventually turn into a 2v1 or 1v1 and that all the same problems will arise doesn't even make sense. The glory of 2v2 is that teams can do all of these ridiculous combos and ridiculous infinites on other characters, and normally, all those team specific infinites and quirks and whatnot are always legal. Just because a game will turn into a 1v1 and someone uses a wall to infinite someone shouldn't be a reason to ban the stage. The nature of this quirky gametype includes infinites, and we should embrace that, instead of selectively cut the ones that we don't like because they're gay. That would be a double standard. They don't over-centralize because situations like a 2v1 or a 1v1 only happen in the later portions of the game, in which both players can play to avoid that situation. I won't argue that they might centralize, but then again, ridiculous combos and infinites are an important part of our doubles metagame, practically a staple to it, so I don't see what's wrong with it.

The same issue applies with walk-offs IMO.

However, I'm a little less fond of stages that are banned due to stalling.

Starting with the BBR 3.1 stage list, I would personally consider adding the following:

Bridge of Eldin
Corneria
Green Hill Zone
Mario Bros. :troll:
Mario Circuit
Mushroomy Kingdom I and II (I dont' know anything about this stage but w/e)
Onett
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses Island
Skyworld

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Mushroomy kingdom II has up-throws killing ridiculously early at the top part >.>

I played on Mario Bros. in doubles in tournament once.....it was horrible........

Tesh

Smash Hero
Thats not really an issue imo. Killing super early at the top of the stage isn't a big deal. Someone would have to follow you up there for that to work. You can just Uair them until THEY die at like 20%.

Riot

Smash Rookie
Walk off camping is still an issue imo. because sometimes you teammate cant help you in time.

CGing is pretty much rid of unless both of your enemies can CG, in which case both of you are screwed if your not careful.

Bridge of Falco is still broken, it always will be.

Corneria and green greens (why is this DQ'd from singles anyway when you have stages like jungle japes?) are unbroken as far as i see it.

A stage that breaks when you go doubs though is pokemon stadium 1 & 2 and Rainbow Cruise.

but thats just my opinion so w/e.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Walk off camping is still an issue imo. because sometimes you teammate cant help you in time.
Chaingrabbing isn't the problem with walk-off stages though.... (though it does contributes to their banning in singles)

And it's pretty much your fault if you let yourself be grabbed in a position where your partner can't save you.

A stage that breaks when you go doubs though is pokemon stadium 1 & 2 and Rainbow Cruise.
Explain?

Top Bottom