• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doubles Only Stages:: Where did they go?

theCook

Smash Cadet
I remember a time, a while back, when doubles tournaments regularly had certain stages allowed for counter-picking that were banned from singles.

Onett and Hannenbo come to mind.

Anyway, why did this practice fall out of being? I am looking at co-hosting a tournament soon and my partner and I are seriously considering re-introducing doubles only counter-picks.

Are there any stages that you would suggest looking in to? Staying away from?

Lets push some boundaries here :D

sunshade

Smash Ace
I have always been in support of the use of doubles only stages dues to circle stall being non existent in a 2v2 environment.

The main issue I see with allowing banned stages such as hannenbow to be legal is the outcry should a doubles match come down to a 1v1 (or a 2v1 if both characters are faster than the other team's character) and one (both)of the players chooses to circle camp the remaining time away on the stage now that it is no longer a 2v2 match and the stage meets justifiable ban criteria for 1v1 (2v1).

Onett should be legal in 1v1 and 2v2 in my opinion however the issues with the stage are not changed by doubles. Onett is banned for two reasons, tradition, and walk-off camping. The first is obviously unimportant in terms of a match but important in a public relations stand point. tournament officials will have to deal with this themselves. The second and much more important reason is the act of using a stock advantage (when at very high percents) to marginalize percent damage due to it being possible to kill someone at very low percents when playing a high risk/high reward game on the far sides.

Doubles does nothing to prevent walk-off camping and because of that if you believe onett to be bannable for singles than it is bannable in doubles.

theCook

Smash Cadet
I understand why the 2 v 1's might make people uncomfortable, but that's sort of the reason for a counterpick anyway. If team A thinks they have the advantage in the air, it would be more possible (maybe) for them to win on hannenbow even if they find themselves in a 2v1 situation. Or, vice versa, they could think they will get to a 2v1 situation faster on Hannenbow than any other counterpick legal in singles.

Other stages to consider are Norfair, Skyworld, etc. I think more extreme counters are allowable in doubles since you may have to contend with to vastly different characters of playstyles.

Top Bottom