• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doubles: Game & Watch + Olimar Discussion Thread

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
Hey Guys,

Going into a tournament this weekend with my new partner who's an Olimar main. I second MK, and have encouraged him to pick up Pika so we can mix things up a bit, but in the mean time I've been scouring the forum for info on partnering with Olimar. So far I've managed to catch 3 or 4 full sets of Alphicans and Tinman teaming, as well as some combo videos by some others on this Forum (Dave I think was the GW's name?). These have all been helpful, but I thought I could ask for some help further help from you guys on this topic.

From what I gather, smashing at a safe distance, comboing out of grabs, and getting GW to cover the air while Oli takes the ground are some of the more important tactics. Practicing saving Oli with Uair and UpB are obviously essential too.

My questions beyond team tactics so far are as follows : What would you consider to be the best stages and worst stages for this team ? What would be our worst matchups, and what would be our best ? Are there any matchups we should absolutely avoid ?

Since I decided to label this a discussion thread, I'd also just like to hear your guys opinion on this team (I know there have been polls, but there isn't a ton of discussion on this since Revival of Salt, so maybe there are changed opinions).

Oh and while my questions aren't team tactics based, please don't hesitate to throw ideas out there for potential team combos, stage shenanigans, etc.

Thanks All !!! :D

you could also watch vinnie and dabuz vids as well, on the clashtournaments channal on youtube. and i would be semi-scared of luigi cus both of you get jab up-B'd

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
I feel like such a scrub never knowing Vinnie and Dabuz teamed haha. I watched a ton of vids, thanks a million for the help !!! Also, does luigi really pose a threat ? I though G&W had a really good matchup against him ?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I have a good team. I sometimes team up with our best Lucario. The ending result will obviously be very salty. We realized recently that teamcombos aren't very useful, we could just throw the enemies away so we have time to fill the bucket. What's the point with combos if you can just kill...

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
Yeah one of our better doubles players here plays Lucario, and he's got a solid doubles partner now. Would you say it's better to have a Lucario/GW option than a Pika/GW though ? That 1 Thunder bucket seems so good...

I can see what you mean about team combos, they tend to be fairly situational, and a lot of work. Still, I'm sure the pay off varies from team to team. Our best team here just react to one another every time they have an isolated opponent, it's really impressive (and annoying, I've got from 0-90% with no options against them a lot).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Team combos are the **** in doubles, but this specific team doesn't need them. It's just better to simply to fill the bucket.
And this is not all our team has to offer. We are also using the anubis strategy while we are at it. We have a strong lucario + OHKO move at our hands. Talk about broken.

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Anubis is slick, and with GWs being a great planker, I imagine you guys have some slick mix ups. Got any vids of this team I can watch ? Thanks for the responses btw LzR (and alterego), I appreciate the help/support !!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Alterego? And I'm not really the guy to give advice though. I'm not very experienced in doubles and rarely even play them outside of tournaments, but I just never pass the opportunity to team with a Lucario. We were at Norway last weekend on a tournament so they might upload something. Not sure though.

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
(alterego) was the other guy who posted on this thread. And if you're travelling for tourneys then I'd say you're qualified to give me tips. I've only gone to one out of province tourney in Toronto (I do plan to attend Apex this year though!), so yeah if you've got ideas I'll listen.

EDIT: I don't know why I put alterego's name in brackets again.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
My partner from Norway is going to Apex as well. I cannot afford it though :(
I wouldn't say travelling means anything. It just means you are willing to spend money for the game. That's all. It's totally worth it though.

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
Agreed on it being worth it. I would say the experience of not playing the same groups of people all the time matters though. Nova Scotia is pretty tiny, so our scene has maybe 15 good players. We do try to travel when we can, but when things are too far away or we can't carpool it's kind of tough.

call me rev good sir :D, and it is a good MU, but a good MU doesn't mean he doesn't have something on us. my main doubles partner is also a lucario, and it really is "oppertune" bucket team. if you can't get buckets just anubis and follow up on what ur partner does/ and help if the lucario's in trouble. if ur facing a team that gives lots of pressure it's easier said than done imo.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
I'm going to upload every single tournament set from the tourney LzR is talking about, so if he saved something, it'll be up soon enough. I don't know if he saved anything, but I sure did. I won doubles with a Snake-partner, and we made sure to save bits of WFs, GFs and WSFs

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to upload every single tournament set from the tourney LzR is talking about, so if he saved something, it'll be up soon enough. I don't know if he saved anything, but I sure did. I won doubles with a Snake-partner, and we made sure to save bits of WFs, GFs and WSFs

Holy **** the cake in that guys avatar is badass!
That's awesome Gardex, thanks a million. Also I suppose I'll load up one of the doubles matches we played on stream. We did some cool tricks and also did some things pretty horribly. Still if someone watches it they'll be sure not to make some of those mistakes, as they could be common.

Thanks Tech_Chase. My girlfriend is a pretty talented lady, and that cake made for one awesome 24th birthday haha.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
You guys take a lot of damage quick, which is exactly what G&W and Olimar both don't want.

Against White in the 2v1, you guys won, but it prolly would've been easier if you didn't throw yourselves at him. Fixit could've just thrown Pikmin and you could've covered.

I'm not an expert, but I just throw in whatever I think, as you know. :p

Jr555

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Jesse. The damage factor should definitely be taken into account, and the 2v1 is probably one of the glaring examples of our poor team synergy, but hopefully we can turn that around :)

Top Bottom