• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doubles (2v2) Strategies?

Umby

Smash Master
Hey guys, I wanted some help with this. I have no idea of what my overall goals should be in doubles and instead just run around creating chaos. Would it be inappropriate to use this thread for discussion on general tips and character synergy?

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I personally love doubles but I don't have very much experience with it.

Despite Fox's frailty, playing defensively and using your ridiculous speed to move around the stage, get a couple hits in and disengage quickly is the most effective strategy I have found with Fox. My partner that I play doubles with has called Fox the "Doubles Assassin" because the combination of his (initial) dash, vertical speed and fall speed enables him to position himself to kill either enemy very effectively. This is further amplified by Fox's really impressive frame data (especially on his kill moves).

In terms of synergy, my friend plays Pac Man and WFT. I think Pac Man functions quite well with Fox by offering stage control/zoning and of course any hydrants launched can be reflected back by Fox as well as his fruits (Melon is the most fun to reflect because it offers huge stage control).

I think Fox's frailty is best complimented by a zoning character or another speedy character to help keep stage control. Fox is a pretty good doubles partner, but I don't think he compliments heavies that well or vice versa, but that is purely theory as I don't have any experience with them.

Rucent

Only strive for first place.
I like Sonic and Fox because Sonic's Down Throw and down tilt always sets up for Fox's Up Smash if Fox is at the right spot at kill percent. Fox's Soft Nair can also set up for a Sonic Up Smash. Both characters are fast and have options that allow them to move around the stage while throwing out hitboxes. They both can juggle opponents pretty good and make it hard for them to land. In terms of edge guarding, Sonic can be the one who drops off the stage where Fox stays and punish any recovery above the ledge. If Fox needs it in order to use his recovery tools again, Sonic can also spring on Fox, as that doesn't have way too much knockback and only deals 4% on him.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
I usually just use Diddy for doubles since I find him to be more useful in most situations. However when I play doubles with Fox I'm usually pretty defensive.

Nagol

Smash Cadet
NNID
NagolNLR
3DS FC
1693-3794-6353
It's hard to talk about a character being good in doubles because for the most part it's all going to come down to how you and your partner play as a team. My partner is an agro yoshi who tends to do as much damage trading as possible preventing our opponents from camping or sitting in shield. When I play with him I tend to switch between Fox and (lucina/marth). When playing as fox we try to be as aggressive as possible and control the middle of the stage. As fox there are many team set ups *look for list* although in general my goal as fox is to always just be there for him and get him out of combos so he can continue his pressure. Fox is a great doubles character as he doesn't affect large areas. Fox doesn't ever kill unless you mean him to which in doubles means that I can play very tight with my partner. His speed allows him to get around quickly enough to escape or break up potential combos. His recovery can be used to save team mates if you know the situation well enough. I won't get into more but I highly recommend fox as a doubles character for his ability to rack up damage on opponents with little chance to hurt your team mate.

Fox team mate combos (yoshi partner)
-up throw. (if timed right and situationally correct this can kill at early percents)
-forward throw near edge. (this is a little more difficult as the timing is harder at lower percents but if done properly yoshi can spike it
-Back throw (much easier timing plenty of space and since lasers don't gimp partner can come in and spike it)
-down throw (at later percents my partner can take control of the combo when they can di from my combo)

-dair chains ( not always useful but if done right you can chain fox's dair into yoshi's dair and repeat)
-up air baits (both having a killing up air one of us can usually bait the air dodge while the other punishes)

Top Bottom