• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Double Aerial

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
You can ledge cancel an aerial attack by sliding off the edge (use Directional Influence) and then you can perform another aerial right after you slide off the edge. That means you can Back Air someone twice in less than one second. Its exactly the same technique that Phanna uses for the Phanna Rest..... but I didn't even know Phanna Rest existed before I found out about these Ledge Canceled Double Aerials.

Discuss.

Now.

*****es.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Well I could understand doing this technique off of a platform, but won't doing it off the ledge result in suicide due to his bad verticle recovery?

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
I've done that before, it's pretty tricky though, and it's not terribly useful unless they're at low percentage (which could possibly make for a low percent KO) or your first bair is off target a bit.

While we're on the subject of cool 'off the edge' techniques, I've been toying with the instant fortresshog.

Essentially, it's a way to fortresshog on stages that aren't curved instantly.

If you've seen the fortresshogging video, you know that you can do an instant fortresshog from the edge if you're teetering or your back foot is off the stage. So, using the fact that if you're right on the edge you can do instant fortresshogging, I decided to incorporate movement.

It's pretty simple: just run at the edge and use fortress RIGHT AT THE EDGE. If you do it right it'll allow you to fortresshog on any level, regardless of slope, without stopping movement. The timing is really strict though; start too soon and you throw yourself off the edge; start too late and you'll have run off the edge, and you'll still die.

Even still, it's a pretty cool technique to me as far as edgehogging goes, and I've been practicing it a lot to be able to hog on levels that don't have sloped edges, like FD and Battlefield.

Florida

イーグランツ
For a stage with the basic three platforms style, I like to drop a bair from above, DI off the stage, and grab onto the ledge. Almost like the fortress, but not as expected.

It's funny when you do that to Fox / Falco's who use their side-B to recover without thinking, and fall to their death. Mmhmm.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
secksiest application of the edge cancel? edge canceled down air fair off the ledge.

yeah i mean like hte ledge of hte stage, so on final, a ledge canceled down air pushes them right where your fair is going to be, scewign up their di, and if you fair when you are supposed to you recovery fine, and they die

it wonderfully beautiful in every respect n_n

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
LMAO I knew this technique was good. Gimpy's post made me laugh.

It's pretty simple: just run at the edge and use fortress RIGHT AT THE EDGE. If you do it right it'll allow you to fortresshog on any level, regardless of slope, without stopping movement. The timing is really strict though; start too soon and you throw yourself off the edge; start too late and you'll have run off the edge, and you'll still die.
I've told you all a better technique to use and so far I've got little belief with the exception of Simna Ibn Sind. Gimpy found out somehow, I guess he tried it.

Anyway you should see my technique that nobody ever submitted before I did. It's the "Easy Fortress Cancel." Simply hold towards the edge at an upward angle. It can be done at any edge in the game (for higher angled edges, just hold the stick at a higher angle). It never fails. You can do it at any speed as long as you angle the stick just before you grab the edge. But if your facing towards the edge (not backward) than you need to be closer to the edge.

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
the idea from mine is that you can hit a fortress cancel without having to set it up, ie turning yourself around and timing the end of the fortress or stopping at the edge to make sure you can instant cancel properly. Also why would you need to angle the control stick on a sloped ground, you can always fortress cancel from a slope.

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
No I didn't say you needed to angle on a sloped ground like Yoshi's Story. You need to angle it on a sloped ground that moves upward, like Yoshi's Story 64.

You don't have to set yourself up, it can be done in any direction. You only need to move closer if you are facing towards the edge.

Instant Fortress Cancel does require set up. You need to roll towards the edge and in my opinion takes a little longer.

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
Yes, REGULAR Instant Fortress Canceling takes time to set up. My version is the same thing, except you execute it from a run. It's harder because if you mistime it in any way you die, so it's not the most practical move ever, but if done properly and in tandem with the other fortresshogging techniques, it pretty much means you can fortresshog from any point at any time at the drop of a hat.

I'm not saying your technique is useless; really, I'm not quite sure what you're referring to, but I don't doubt that it works. However, being able to fortresshog from a run without stopping isn't half bad either, wouldn't you agree?

MagnuM

Smash Ace
I knew this while making the Fortresshogging video, and although I have pulled this off in a hurry in tournaments before, I find it a really high risk to try. Even If I have the timing down so I can have 80% succession doing it, it would all depend on the circumstance whether I would go for it or not (My current %age, if there is enough time to take the extra "insurance frames (teetering)", the stakes (tournaments), etc. Basically this is a riskier way of doing the same thing, but if you got the guts and the timing to go for it, I say go for it (although if you SDed at 0% while trying, I'm sure much profanity would ensue!)

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I knew this while making the Fortresshogging video, and although I have pulled this off in a hurry in tournaments before, I find it a really high risk to try. Even If I have the timing down so I can have 80% succession doing it, it would all depend on the circumstance whether I would go for it or not (My current %age, if there is enough time to take the extra "insurance frames (teetering)", the stakes (tournaments), etc. Basically this is a riskier way of doing the same thing, but if you got the guts and the timing to go for it, I say go for it (although if you SDed at 0% while trying, I'm sure much profanity would ensue!)
I think i pull it off maybe 30% of the time, tops

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I know, it's a pretty high risk maneuver, and for the most part it's not really a necessary technique, since most of the time you can transition a run into a roll dodge, which will ensure the fortresshog. Still, it's always a good idea to have at least a grasp of every possible angle. Who knows? There could be a time where you catch someone off-guard with the running at the edge hog, and wouldn't that just be impressive at a tourney.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord

Even still, it's a pretty cool technique to me as far as edgehogging goes, and I've been practicing it a lot to be able to hog on levels that don't have sloped edges, like FD and Battlefield.

Yup, I found this out by myself a long while ago. But...I do this all the ****ing time and I almost never screw up.

I have too much free time, maybe...v_v

There's also another fortresshogging technique that I've found you can do while dashing towards the edge (I can also do this one successfully ~100% of the time). If you're the right distance away while dashing, you can execute the Fortress, immediately hold towards the stage, and then when you're at the very edge, hold the opposite way on the control stick. This will cause the Fortress to slow in momentum and slide off the edge slower than normal. Due to the physics of the game, you will grab on to the ledge regardless of the fact you were facing the opposite direction.

A long time ago I dubbed this "Reverse Fortresshogging" for reasons I can't remember right now. >_>;;

I'm not sure of the benefits of this technique, but I do it sometimes nonetheless.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Nice finds. I don't think you'll need to do it that fast though. Bowser will send them flying far enough so that you wouldn't really need to rush it.
Eh, I guess I'm just used to doing it at 'full speed'. Also, you could be, say, mid-stage (imagine FD), and hit them with an FAir at a decently low percent. While they are recovering, you can initiate the "Reverse Fortresshog" and get to the edge quickly. If you are facing a Falco/Fox that used their up+b and went directly horizontal as to sweetspot the edge, it would be possible to edgehog them, supposing you wouldn't have enough time to let the Fortress go slower.

Although, in probably 99.9% of situations where you need a really quick fortresshog, the Fortresshog technique that Uraj mentioned would be better to use. But I use the technique Uraj mentioned all the time regardless that there are safer ways.

Also, I found the "Reverse Fortresshogging" thing rather difficult at first, so for anybody doing it, it might take quite a few tries to get right even once.

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
Also, I found the "Reverse Fortresshogging" thing rather difficult at first, so for anybody doing it, it might take quite a few tries to get right even once.
Its not reverse, it can be done in any direction. I don't really know why you wold fail though. All you are doing is holding the stick in a direction. I'm gonna try Uraj's technique tomorrow. I haven't had the chance yet.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
Its not reverse, it can be done in any direction. I don't really know why you wold fail though. All you are doing is holding the stick in a direction. I'm gonna try Uraj's technique tomorrow. I haven't had the chance yet.
When I say 'reverse', I mean that it's being done while facing the edge. And no, you aren't just holding the stick in a direction. For my Reverse Fortresshog technique, you are required to push the stick towards the edge at just the right time. I must've taught this technique to 7 or 8 people, and even after demonstration, none of them could get it right on their first try.

Also, my crewmates recognize the difficulty of the technique, but that probably doesn't mean anything to you. I don't even know why I typed that out.

Top Bottom