• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't you hate when people mock you in 1-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Oh man, here we go. I'm talking about people who does not live with their parents bro. Yes, we have some rare cases of people who are actually famous in the business, like Daigo Umehara, a SF pro-player. The case is, we have 1 in a million.

BTW, no, streamers and youtubers does not count, as probably just ******* or no-life dudes watch and spend their parents money with them. Get real son, or do you think you are a super hero too?
I'm sorry that you have so much anger, but it's quite unwarranted and unwanted.

---

Back on topic, I agree that you can't really tell if it's disrespect when your opponent suddenly changes to your main, unless of course they use the name tag to put spiteful things or whatever.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
For those who say that I don't deserve to be in the competitive scene....

I DO NOT care what you say. No matter how much I feel like giving up. I will still try my hardest. And most of you didn't even pay attention on how I CLEARLY said that I immediatly got over what happened.

Call me naive, but I won't give up just because few people in a forum told me to.

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
For those who say that I don't deserve to be in the competitive scene....

I DO NOT care what you say. No matter how much I feel like giving up. I will still try my hardest. And most of you didn't even pay attention on how I CLEARLY said that I immediatly got over what happened.

Call me naive, but I won't give just because few people in a forum told me to.
And this is what makes me have respect for you. You don't let the bad seeds of the forum push you away. The best thing to do is just ignore those users who only have negative things to say for spite.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I'm trying to de-stressify after what happened...

So some jerk used Dark Pit. Ok fine. He beat me, but I was fine with that. Next battle he used Shulk. I came close, but he'd beaten me again, and I was fine with that. Then the jerk started to use villager, which was the character I was using during this and the other battles. Did I feel insulted? Yes. Was he better than me? Yes. Did I get really angry after he won? Of course!

I left a comment in one of his miiverse post saying: "I get that you're better than me, but you don't have to be a jerk and mock me."

Gosh I hope no Smash experts are like this...

EDIT: I made this post after this event happened.

And I immediately got over it...
If a player is a novice, and I DO know how to use their character (as in, it's a secondary, or main) I use him to maybe help the guy out, see new techniques he can do, or new tricks, whatever.

I don't do it to make a mockery of anyone.

And no one should feel insulted by someone beating them with their character because very few people can claim they are THE BEST with a character.

I feel a bit down if a Villager beats me when I also use Villager, sure, because I have faith in m Villager, and I want to be one of the best Villagers, but hey, it happens.

I also don't mind when it happens to me for the above reason.

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Ugh this thread is a total whinge-fest.

If my opponent is fighting me as my main and wins, do I get upset? Yes, of course I feel disheartened. But for crying out loud, I take a moment to clear my head and tell myself that this is a sign I obviously need more practice. There is no possible way to tell if that guy was "mocking" you. I'd bet any money he was picking random.

People are being waaay too sensitive. Just take the advice and don't get so strung up on your losses. Trust me, getting overly upset over losses makes the game x1000 less fun.

Last edited:

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
To be quite frank, yes, it commonly annoys me for people to taunt or mock me. If there's a clear skill gap between use (he's better than I) then go ahead, because to me you've earned the right to stop ****ing caring about me if I'm inferior. But if I'm beating someone to a pulp, several matches of two-stocking, then you get a stock on me and taunt? It doesn't infuriate me, but I do get annoyed.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
I just fought a dude that just used the tag REKT. He spammed ZSS textbook moves and after every match he changed his tag to "UMAD" and "EASY". HE WAS ZSS VERSUS GANONDORF WHAT DID HE EXPECT. I killed him with kindness, changing my tag to these at appropriate times: "NOT MAD", "GOOD GAME", "LOL". After about 20 matches I came close to beating him but lost, and he left. Scrub. He must have been mad. "UMAD?"

Unowninator

Smash Cadet
I actually do it too, but mocking is not my intent; I just do it to try to show them how to use the character better & hope they learn from me.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
@ArccJPO
I know you are trying to troll, but the quality is so bad that people might think you're being totally serious. So what I'm saying is... Can you not?

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Some punk did a Ness mirror after beating me with Sonic 2 times prior. I got so mad I beat him every match afterwards until he left.

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
It comes to the main problem of this online mode : the lack of communication !
We can never know if the player is mocking or respecting us !
I hate when a good player get suicide and kill my 2 stocks with only one of his.
But in another side, I would like to get suicide when I see someone dying from a mistake at low % just to put the match at an egual state, so it's a kind of respect, but with the lack of communication, he could take this as an offend

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099
Wow do you have to be THAT rude? You do realize i'm trying to be in the competitive scene right? And someone acting like the opponent certainly deosn't help. Sure losing can make you better, but getting mocked at certainly deosn't help, and it honestly kinda forces me to quit competitive Smash, but I won't!

And if you're really a competitive player, then you should ATLEAST say that you should've learned from him, and be a nice guy, but you aren't nice, you're extremely rude. Even ZeRo himself stated that newbies deserve help. He's a nice guy!

This is Smashboards, not some place where to get random people worked up. Either you're a troll or an extremely disgraceful person.
I didn't think it was rude to say that a weak mentality was weak. If you can't take the heat don't go in the kitchen. Not trolling, and maybe I am disgraceful to those who are disgraced in video games.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I didn't think it was rude to say that a weak mentality was weak. If you can't take the heat don't go in the kitchen. Not trolling, and maybe I am disgraceful to those who are disgraced in video games.
Your point?

Last edited:

2004Zilla

Smash Master
NNID
2004Zilla
Damn Donkey Kong using his Up Taunt (that's the one where he beats his chest, right?} after tearing me a new one. I was beaten by an ape!

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I love it when they taunt...

it awakens the demon in me that is, Zelda.

said no one.

ever.

Except me of course

Last edited:

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I think we should just remember that being online in a somewhat anonymous way (you can attempt to google your opponent's name), people might wanna feel like being jerks. It might not be fun for all, but its fun for some so you won't be able to stop it (eh maybe reporting them...). In an actual community like smashboards you will probably see less jerks since some people are less anonymous. When you get to a tournament scene (from my perspective), I never played against anyone who was a jerk. I recall most people helping and complimenting me whether they were better or worse than me and I too returned the favor.

Every scene is different from Smash to SF to Tekken. This is in reference to Melee, but I should be around for Smash4 too. Judging from all the posts I read from here I see the Smash4 community as pretty nice people with maybe a few needing some confidence boosters. And if anything, play with people here, plenty of people here want matches with other smashboards users. You can discuss and strategize games since online isn't half bad.

Then eventually maybe talk smack to each other.

Last edited:

L337m0j0

Smash Cadet
You should never get mad at a mirror match. What if they picked it from the start? would you get mad?

When you play mirror matches, try to catch some new techniques that you may not be using that the other person is.

If they were better than you, you probably could learn some combos etc

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
Think about it from his perspective. Though you may not do this with the intent to "mock" - your opponent may nevertheless end up frustrated and demoralized. Why take the chance? If you want the matches to end, just leave!
That's the thing though. I didn't want the matches to end. Especially since I was winning all the time. Plus I think beating someone with their own main could let them know that they can train with them more.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
That's the thing though. I didn't want the matches to end. Especially since I was winning all the time. Plus I think beating someone with their own main could let them know that they can train with them more.
You said "Man this guy won't give up... I have an idea."

That pretty clearly means that you want the matches to end through him giving up. Why not just take ownership and leave?

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Mkay, I will say that I do get a little heated when this happens. But it's part of the game.

The only reason I say this is cause. I kind of did this earlier but not as bad.

I got in a match with some kid. I had picked Bowser Jr. (My main) and he had picked Lucina.

I lost this match due to a stupid mistake, so naturally I picked B Jr. again to prove myself better, and I won. 2 stocked him.

So now I'm all like "Okay yay!! I can use other characters" because I never stick to one character when I play smash.

So I pick Fox, beat him. I pick Ness, beat him. I pick Duck Hunt, beat him. I pick Greninja, beat him.

Now keep in mind. This guy had picked Lucina for EVERY ROUND. And after my 5 or 6 matches straight of beating him I'm like "Man this guy won't give up... I have an idea."

So I picked Lucina. And I destroyed him. And then bam!! He quit immediately.

Long story short (too late) I feel like it's okay to pick different characters and then pick the same character that your competitor has been using the whole time. But not to the point of mocking. Just friendly competition.
Well you might feel that way,but just about anybody would see that as you trying to rub your own skill in their face. Maybe within the first 3 matches peole could see it as you just feeling like picking the same character as them,but after that many matches I don't see how you could not see that as disrespect. If you wanted to stop playing against them, you should have left. If you wanted them to learn, you should have picked Lucina earlier (though if this was the case I don't really blame you, since you might not have thought about it until that point).

kataridragon

Smash Ace
I was in a lobby with a guy earlier who was better than me. Naturally I don't have a problem with that, but on about our third match or so he self-destructed. Looked like an honest mistake. I self-destructed too to even it up. He may have been better than me, but that's not the way I wanted to win.

HE TAUNTED
Was the guy a Sonic?

entezio

Smash Rookie
I just fought a dude that just used the tag REKT. He spammed ZSS textbook moves and after every match he changed his tag to "UMAD" and "EASY". HE WAS ZSS VERSUS GANONDORF WHAT DID HE EXPECT. I killed him with kindness, changing my tag to these at appropriate times: "NOT MAD", "GOOD GAME", "LOL". After about 20 matches I came close to beating him but lost, and he left. Scrub. He must have been mad. "UMAD?"
holy **** you can do that?
i can't wait to get good at this game

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
lol yeah, there's also teabagging in this game too. I had the REKT/LOL/HAHAHAHA nametag happen to me by three different people, usually happens when you lose close games with your non-main characters. Kind of a shame, would've been fun to play longer sets with them too but I can see how it's funny for them.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to de-stressify after what happened...

So some jerk used Dark Pit. Ok fine. He beat me, but I was fine with that. Next battle he used Shulk. I came close, but he'd beaten me again, and I was fine with that. Then the jerk started to use villager, which was the character I was using during this and the other battles. Did I feel insulted? Yes. Was he better than me? Yes. Did I get really angry after he won? Of course!

I left a comment in one of his miiverse post saying: "I get that you're better than me, but you don't have to be a jerk and mock me."

Some guy decided to use Dedede while I was playing as him. I beat him though ;). But I know how that is. Its all a matter of "I am better than you" which is the wrong way to think about it. These should be friendly matches with random people, not a tournament to see who is better. I remember battling a FIERCE Ness player who beat me three times in a row, and then stating that I sucked... Thats what I mean. You really can't get friendly match ups now a days. When that happens, just play with all your might, and prove that jerk wrong! I've had those times when several people I went against decided to switch to the same character I was using, and still got beaten by them. I know how it is. Its frustrating. Just forget small things like that, try not to rage, and just say something nice like "Good Game" afterwards. You have no idea how much "Good Game" would brighten somebodies mood.

Last edited:

Kraetyz

Smash Cadet
I pretty sure that the guy that changed his tag to "GG Scrub" was mocking me for sure.
Bumping this post, because this is the most frustrating kind of BM to go up against. Playing against "YOU SUCK" gets bothersome fast.

Kaluro

Smash Rookie

So let me get this straight, your opponent was constantly using a different character, and he happened to also use villager, which you were playing?

Have you considered the fact that he was playing random?
Or have you considered the fact that you have a bit of a god complex, as you are assuming he did it to mock YOU, rather than villager being one of his main characters along with dark pit and shulk?

If someone plays you 10 games in a row with a static character, and then suddenly switches to your character + your skin, then sure - he's mocking you.
But the above example is so loose and vague that it can be misinterpreted super easily.
Also if you want to get into the competitive scene, you have to lose the god complex and grow some thick skin bro.

Last edited:

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
Damn Donkey Kong using his Up Taunt (that's the one where he beats his chest, right?} after tearing me a new one. I was beaten by an ape!
Now I feel bad because I always UpTaunt after delivering ape-based beatdowns.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I was in a lobby with a guy earlier who was better than me. Naturally I don't have a problem with that, but on about our third match or so he self-destructed. Looked like an honest mistake. I self-destructed too to even it up. He may have been better than me, but that's not the way I wanted to win.

HE TAUNTED
A lot of people taunt to show their thanks.

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
Some guy decided to use Dedede while I was playing as him. I beat him though ;). But I know how that is. Its all a matter of "I am better than you" which is the wrong way to think about it. These should be friendly matches with random people, not a tournament to see who is better. I remember battling a FIERCE Ness player who beat me three times in a row, and then stating that I sucked... Thats what I mean. You really can't get friendly match ups now a days. When that happens, just play with all your might, and prove that jerk wrong! I've had those times when several people I went against decided to switch to the same character I was using, and still got beaten by them. I know how it is. Its frustrating. Just forget small things like that, try not to rage, and just say something nice like "Good Game" afterwards. You have no idea how much "Good Game" would brighten somebodies mood.
Ditto's don't decide the better player as most people are unfamiliar with the match up.

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
You said "Man this guy won't give up... I have an idea."

That pretty clearly means that you want the matches to end through him giving up. Why not just take ownership and leave?
Oooooh no no no that's not what I meant by "I have any idea."
That just meant "hmm maybe we can get a same character battle going"

You know?

Taokaka

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ValooDX
3DS FC
2758-4249-4296
I never feel like mocked online. It just makes me laugh when they are teabagging. :p

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
I play Wario, so if you give me a reason or chance to taunt, I goddamn will, everytime. Cause that's how Wario rolls.

KAOSN00B

Smash Cadet
Someone once used the name tags to insult me going back and forth with ;) and im 2 good. He then left once i beat him 2nd round but i was still super angry.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
So I just played a match against some guy on FG. I was using Falcon and he was using Mario. I did the "Show me your moves" taunt right away and they attempted to hit me mid taunt. I ended up getting 2 stocked by them. I was pretty impressed with how they played Mario,but I lost all respect for them after they switched to falcon and used the same color as me. I did the same taunt again since that is the falcon code of honor in falcon dittos,but he hit me mid taunt. At the start of the match I had trouble hitting him, he got me to like 70% before I even touched him. After I got the first hit on him, everything fell into place for me. I 2 stocked him while styling on him so hard. First kill I got him off stage and I ran off stage and sourspot knee'd him to send him behind me and bounce him away too far to recover. For the second kill I did the same, but I landed the sweetspot. I can tell that I really damaged this guy's ego since he just left the room.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I did something similar just the other day, actually.
I went on For Glory, picked King Dedede and fought a kinda ****ty Bowser Jr. I quite handily dededestroyed him.
So I switched to Ness, the other character I'm fairly competent with and destroyed him again.
I switched to Villager, who I like but arn't very good at, and still managed to take care of him without breaking a sweat.
Then I switch to Lil' Mac, who I've previously only used to side b off the stage for ****s and giggles... and still beat him.
Then I switch to Jr. myself and managed to beat him with a lil' effort.
Then he left. I feel kinda bad.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Online mirror matches are hilarious if you ask me. I remember one time, I was fighting this C. Falcon player online, and I won in the most hilarious way possible (knocking him offstage with Gyro, then he immediately SD'd with Falcon Kick). So, the match after that, he decides to go R.O.B., who I was playing at the time. Okay, fair enough. I give him a second chance and fight him again.
I can confidently say that he was probably the worst R.O.B. I've ever seen. I beat him again, shaking my head at the sad display I just saw. Then, he changed his tag to "ROB OP" and immediately left the lobby.
What puzzles me the most is that he went for the mirror match right after I already 2-stocked him once. Did he think something was gonna change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom