• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't think I've ever posted footage of me playing on here, can anyone give some critique?

CaptainVul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaLefty
3DS FC
5386-8706-1766
I usually don't get on stream too much in my local scene for whatever reason, but I got on a few times at the last tournament that I went to last Sunday. The audio is all messed up though because they were streaming Big House 5 so the commentary from that is going through these videos, its kinda weird lol.

But here are the matches, really looking forward to see some input

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqV10BLgMps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZy58BpMZCg
https://youtu.be/ftQAA4hvUUA?t=169
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTo3WmpcWw8

and this is the set that I lost that day. I dunno I definitely felt like I could have won that especially since I usually do really well against Marth/Lucina but I dunno it felt like a weird set especially that first match, my DI was uncharacteristically terrible. The guy I was playing against was definitely good though so no johns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdykTz8LFec

In general I don't feel like I was playing my best that day but hey any input is welcome

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
In general I don't feel like I was playing my best that day but hey any input is welcome
We're all happy to provide tips - but please don't create an entire thread for feedback. We have two stickied threads that might fit this much better - one entirely for videos/feedback and another for quick questions.

A summary of what I see from a quick viewing: you have the basics of D3 down well (some spacing, combos, etc), but need to start incorporating higher-level play. Namely: intentionality and adaptation. It looks like you're mostly throwing moves out and hoping they'll hit - with D3, his terrible frame data will really punish that bad habit. Punish them, don't just pray. Then, you were more predictable with your movement and defensive options, and got read. Notice how your opponent reacts to your threats, think of a way to punish that, then execute.

CaptainVul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaLefty
3DS FC
5386-8706-1766
Thanks I appreciate it

I don't feel like I ever just throw out moves aimlessly and hope they hit, but hey I guess thats what you got from it. I do feel like sometimes I need to change things up a little bit more if I'm getting punished for doing the same thing a lot but I don't feel like I ever just play mindless and reckless.

But I will say that since in 2 of those videos I was going against a Rosalina player and in that matchup I definitely do throw out more hitboxes then usual to get rid of Luma or get more damage on Luma since I feel like thats a huge part of that matchup. Yeah I might get punished for it but Rosa isn't going to kill Dedede until like 200% without Luma.

howbadisbad

Smash Apprentice
  • You have a very extreme habit in ledge jump airdodge and do this so often that many of the players caught on to this and began punishing it/
  • You also tend to exhaust all jumps above your opponent before coming down with nair which was shown to be very detrimental versus RAZOR who did not give you a wide bearth for landing like other players and just went yolo on you for free damage.
  • For some reason you keep throwing out raw fsmash and you get punished a lot for it
  • You do dash attack too often, it got you the kills in some games but that lucina destroyed you for all of them
  • Overall I think you were mostly being unsafe as a lot of your damage came from your opponent hitting you out of shield or jumping up and hitting you while you floated above them, or punishing a move with heavy lag (big 3 were fsmash, dash attack, and gordo with an honorable mention to ledge jump airdodge)

CaptainVul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KaLefty
3DS FC
5386-8706-1766
  • You have a very extreme habit in ledge jump airdodge and do this so often that many of the players caught on to this and began punishing it/
  • You also tend to exhaust all jumps above your opponent before coming down with nair which was shown to be very detrimental versus RAZOR who did not give you a wide bearth for landing like other players and just went yolo on you for free damage.
  • For some reason you keep throwing out raw fsmash and you get punished a lot for it
  • You do dash attack too often, it got you the kills in some games but that lucina destroyed you for all of them
  • Overall I think you were mostly being unsafe as a lot of your damage came from your opponent hitting you out of shield or jumping up and hitting you while you floated above them, or punishing a move with heavy lag (big 3 were fsmash, dash attack, and gordo with an honorable mention to ledge jump airdodge)
Thanks for the input

Yeah that ledge jump air dodge thing was pretty weird I usually don't for that much at all but I definitely was doing it alot in that weekly, I'll note that.

Fast fall Nairs in general is something that I need to stop doing so much, its definitely one of the more predictable options for Dedede but if you do manage to get it to hit its a great move to rack up percentage with follow ups like Nair->Nair, Nair-Bair, Nair-Fair, ect.

I don't feel like I use F Smash that much usually but I will admit that a few of the times that I used it was probably an input error. Before that weekly I hadn't played the Wii U version in a few weeks since I usually play the 3DS when I'm on campus at school. And if you're basing alot of these on the game 1 against Crash that was a weird set honestly, he usually doesn't play as defensive like that so that definitely caught me off guard the first game, but I think I adapted well for the most part in the next 2.

And I probably was dash attacking too much but I guess I was feeling it that day because I got a couple decent reads with it lol. Honestly if I ever do a dash attack its most likely because I'm trying to read a backwards roll, and it usually works but I guess I was using it too much that day. But yeah thanks for the input, once again I definitely don't feel like I was at the top of my game that day but any input is cool.

To the 2 people who commented do you have any of your matches on youtube? I would like to see some of your play since it seems like you guys are good at picking stuff apart

dreamastermind

Smash Cadet
Just my opinion, but since we only get 1 new thread every 2 days around here, I'm fine with people posting a thread devoted to themselves if it can be of help to the community.

I already watched all of these. Those idiots messing up the audio. Anyway, Lucina killed you all 4 times with her forward smash. You need to respect that move, and she went for it often. Even so it's hard to punish. You needed to back off a bit more I'd say. Especially when they're a stock a head. You were very aggressive, and Lucina can punish that with counters and aerials that reach. We have a projectile. She doesn't. Force her to approach more. It also felt like you were getting nervous. Saw quite a few canceled back airs from coming in too low. It happens, but to win we need to be flawless. Not easy.

You still did decent.

howbadisbad

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the input

To the 2 people who commented do you have any of your matches on youtube? I would like to see some of your play since it seems like you guys are good at picking stuff apart
No can do, I dont own any smash game and i havent for years. I only play at my friends house. I could outline how i play though, it involves fishing for grabs always since i think DDDs best option in neutral is grab and pivot ftilt. When they get too high to dthrow upair i throw them off stage and setup a gordo trap if they go low or try to read an airdodge with bair if they go high.

My gordo usage in neutral depends on the player, generally if they dont suck i rarely use them because its likely ill eat one in the face.

Top Bottom