• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong's Forward B Use?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I just found out that Donkey Kong's Forward B gives him a momentum boost when used off the edge of a stage or platform similar to Mario's cape. I just made a whole thread about what moves do and don't do this on the Tactical Discussion board. I'm not sure how useful this could be since I don't normally use DK but I figured you guys might find a use for it.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I just tested this and it works. Let me explain what he means.

We all know that when you over+B when in the air, DK's momentum is either slowed or stopped, depending on if you've been hit far away or if you're just drifting through the air.

What Tyr_03 means is that when you run off of the edge (or any platform or ledge), if you over+B at the moment when you have your momentum from the run and you're leaving the ledge, your over+B momentum will be boosted. This results in a farther moving over+B, which can be used to spike opponents who are in a direct horizontal line from the ledge.

I've uploaded a video to further explain this technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKxmtqIzFOg

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Makes for an effective surprise attack

Usually in order to do a spike you would have to do a short hop off the ledge but no matter how you do that, DK's and everyone else jumps so slow that it's completely expected. But with this new technique they won't see what's coming. Good ****

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Hey I just found out that you can do this backwards as well. It's really weird. You do the technique as you normally would but immediately after you press forward B slam backward on the analog stick. If you do it right you should get the same boost but in the opposite direction. Might not be as useful for spiking but give it a shot. Thanks for the vid Tom. Should clear a lot up for people trying it out.

Kyle_Wattula

Smash Journeyman
That last one was awesome Tom. People keep coming up with sweet tricks making DK that much more enjoyable. :)

Tyr may I quote you for the 101 thread?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Yeah go ahead. And while I'm on the subject of DK, I don't know if you all have heard of B move momentum shifts but try this out with DK. Charge up your punch, jump into the air or run off a platform and press B. As soon as you press B immediately slam the analog stick back. What should happen is DK turns around and punches in the opposite direction sending his momentum that way as well. It makes for a pretty nice surprise punch. Try it out a few times and see how you like it. I have a whole thread on the tactics board about this kind of thing.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
At 100+ damage, dash pivot Forward B is pretty much a free kill (fsmash, or giant punch).

Break

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone found a trick to getting the boost consistently when using the Side B off the edge?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
It's basically the last moment that you're actually on the edge. Try going into training mode and slowing it down. Once you get the feel for it it's pretty easy to do consistently.

Break

Smash Apprentice
Darn, I figured practice would be key to this one. Totally worth it for landing that surprise spike though.

Mourning Due

Smash Rookie
Just found out tonight that if you block Ike's forward-B then you can headbutt on reaction and it will hit him. Seeing as Ike is a pretty bad match-up for DK, every trick helps, and this cuts right down on his spacing abilities.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Who the hell is donkey kong and Mario doesn't have a cape, what is wrong with out.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Who the hell is donkey kong and Mario doesn't have a cape, what is wrong with out.
the word filters are messing with you, man. its april fools day, so any time you type out DK it translates to donkey kong, Ma.r.io to Mario

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
the word filters are messing with you, man. its april fools day, so any time you type out DK it translates to donkey kong, Ma.r.io to Mario
I thought I was going crazy...
does everyone remember what they did on the site last year?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
funny stuff...cept not really. Mostly just really annoying. I hope somebody's getting a kick out of it.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
Fox Trot one way and surprise your opponent by Headbutting them backwards!

Kong *****.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
I posted some >B strats in the 101 thread while back, but here they are again:

Foxtrot away, >B towards is a nice tool for spacing. It's great against sex kicks and other poor range aerials.

What exactly do you mean by dash pivot forward B? Is that dash, then tap the other way for a slide animation, then cancel out of it with forward B? If so, that would be uneccesary, as dash can cancel immediately into >B. Which is fairly useful btw.

If you shorthop and >B, it cancels all vertical momentum and slows down horizontal momentum considerably. You can use this by dashing at the opponent then shorthop and >B. The pullback and momentum change can cause the opponent to whiff and eat the >B. Also a useful mixup with dash attack. Additionally it goes over low tilts like Ness/Lucas/Sonic.

>B also ***** shields pretty hard. If you can see the opponent's shield is wisibly worn down, try and get them to shield a >B and it may break a shield. Also, blocked >B, then chase into blocked punch usually breaks a shield.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
just to put it out there, this technique can also be done from platforms, sparingly useful so use that as a surprise attack

_Riot_

Smash Journeyman
I posted some >B strats in the 101 thread while back, but here they are again:

Foxtrot away, >B towards is a nice tool for spacing. It's great against sex kicks and other poor range aerials.

What exactly do you mean by dash pivot forward B? Is that dash, then tap the other way for a slide animation, then cancel out of it with forward B? If so, that would be uneccesary, as dash can cancel immediately into >B. Which is fairly useful btw.

If you shorthop and >B, it cancels all vertical momentum and slows down horizontal momentum considerably. You can use this by dashing at the opponent then shorthop and >B. The pullback and momentum change can cause the opponent to whiff and eat the >B. Also a useful mixup with dash attack. Additionally it goes over low tilts like Ness/Lucas/Sonic.

>B also ***** shields pretty hard. If you can see the opponent's shield is wisibly worn down, try and get them to shield a >B and it may break a shield. Also, blocked >B, then chase into blocked punch usually breaks a shield.
Personally im a fan of the B-air ->> forward-B I use double b-airs to put pressure on shields and keep spacing together and such, people like d3 are exceptionally easy to land this on considering all that idiot wants to do is grab. Throw in double b-airs, then land do it again but instead of throwing out the last b-air keep yourself close to them as if your messing up your spacing and forward B. You should be high up enough so their shield grap wiffs by and they are in the ground like an idiot. If they keep their shield up, they will be knocked back to far to do anything about it + shield damage. if they try to roll behind you during your first b-air reverse forward-b. Not much can go to wrong doing it, just dont abuse it, it like most things, is just a nice little mix-up.

Top Bottom