• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey Kong's Appearance

Does Donkey Kong's appearance in SSB4 matter?

• Total voters

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
screen-7.png
If you look at almost all of his screenshots, Donkey Kong just looks hilariously stupid. And apparently when you hit him his eyes will pop out, As this happened in 2 screenshots and didn't happen to anybody else.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
He looks a little odd in still photos I think but in motion he looks absolutely fantastic. And his eyes have been popping out since the first DKC, I think people forget that sometimes. Donkey Kong games have always had this eerie realism mixed with absolute zaniness. As kids we think it's all serious business, you grow up and realize half of it is some sort of joke.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Well, It seems like in this game he is more of a loveable moron.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Actually now that we have seen gameplay with him, he looks far better in motion then any of these stills can show. I didnt like the way he looked at first, but after seeing him from the actual angle we will see him in gameplay, im satisfied with how he turned out. He looks appropriately burly like he does in returns.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I honestly think he looks great. Those teeth especially.

Last edited:

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
I have no problem with Donkey Kongs appearance in Smash 4. I think it's a major improvement from Brawl.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Dk looks great the scenes make him look a bit odd but in motion looks great a nice upgrade from his brawl model and melee.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
The 3DS box art as well as seeing him in motion make his standard render look like crap.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
DK looks fine; good, even. Now Link and Fox on the other hand...

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
It's clear that DKCTF's DK has been the best looking one with the super-realistic fur, but that was one character...i don't think a high-paced fighting game could handle that :I

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Well it's not his fur that bothers me anymore. I mean just look at this:

Yikes! That's creepy!

Now look at this:

See that's not creepy.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I love that smile in both Smash and Tropical Freeze. His fur only looks good in motion but otherwise this DK has really grown on me. I didn't like Brawl DK's model much at all.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
His Brawl model was really good in my opinion. I think it's the lips. In Brawl he had thick lips like he does in most of his games. It makes his smile more comforting. Now his lips are too thin and shaped oddly.

I'd say all of SSB4 Donkey Kong's problems are in his mouth area.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK's Melee appearance was a 1.000 x better than his appearance in the original Smash Bros.

Really, that design alone made me stick to Pikachu for the full 100%.

Still think that Brawl's DK is the best looking overal. That design literally looked the most like the Rare SNES Donkey Kong Country DK, and that's the one I liked the best. This time DK looks a little bit too much like his appearances in the Mario games, where he's usually far more goofy. Wish he looked more like in Tropical Freeze.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
DK's Melee appearance was a 1.000 x better than his appearance in the original Smash Bros.

Really, that design alone made me stick to Pikachu for the full 100%.

Still think that Brawl's DK is the best looking overal. That design literally looked the most like the Rare SNES Donkey Kong Country DK, and that's the one I liked the best. This time DK looks a little bit too much like his appearances in the Mario games, where he's usually far more goofy. Wish he looked more like in Tropical Freeze.
Really? I think DK's appearance was okay for the N64, but his Melee design just... eh. it is funny how Mario and DK looked better in their main 64 titles, though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I felt Mario, Link, Fox and Kirby looked a lot like their main game N64 models. DK, not so much at all! And yes, DK64 Donkey Kong was also quite sexy looking now you mentoin it.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I've always been partial to the ssb DK design's sans n64, especially Brawl's. I don't like how stubby they always make him in Mario Kart, any of the sport games, or Mario Party; he always ends up looking like a chode. His own games are alright, But I think Jungle Beat was the first game to make him look like a physically imposing character. I think that's exactly why I like the ssb models, he looks almost like a caricature of a body builder, he seems like he could actually rip you in half if he wanted to. Ssb4's model looks fine to me, Tropical Freeze only has it beat out from a technical standpoint in my book.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I've always been partial to the ssb DK design's sans n64, especially Brawl's. I don't like how stubby they always make him in Mario Kart, any of the sport games, or Mario Party; he always ends up looking like a chode. His own games are alright, But I think Jungle Beat was the first game to make him look like a physically imposing character. I think that's exactly why I like the ssb models, he looks almost like a caricature of a body builder, he seems like he could actually rip you in half if he wanted to. Ssb4's model looks fine to me, Tropical Freeze only has it beat out from a technical standpoint in my book.
I really didn't like that they decided to make DK a cruiserweight in MK8, which is the third heaviest class. They also made him really small.

I also don't like his DK64 portrayal because he's rehashed as a medium-size/middleweight so Chunky could be the powerhouse. Smash 64's model looks terrible from a graphical standpoint but at least he's huge.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I've actually studied how DK looks from game to game. In Returns and Tropical Freeze his legs are much smaller than they are in all other games. In Jungle Beat his forearms are much larger than in any other game and his fur is very dark and skin very pale. In most Mario games his limbs are much shorter, probably because it's easier to fit him in a Kart that way (sort of how Bowser's tail disappears while riding a bike)

Yes I'm that obsessed with Donkey Kong that I analyze his different models.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Just hope he keeps long limbs in Smash so that DK keeps his enourmous range advantage over most other characters not named Marth.

Still think his Returns design is the best looking. Really liked how big his arms where there. And how he had stripes resembling a silverback gorilla on his back. I really missed that detail in his Tropical Freeze design.

Also, badass DK designs > goofy DK designs.

Top Bottom