• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donkey King?

Ranjiz

Smash Apprentice
Will someone give me some insight as how to beat donkey king?

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
Not too difficult as Mario, actually. His attacks are slow coming out, so ytou can take advantage of that. You also have a fairly nice advantage over him: a projectile. Use it to build up damage and make him come to you. Shield his dash attack or bair, and grab him, and if he approaches with a fair, all the better! punish his mistake with a charged smash. Just stay on your toes and watch out for those nasty stage spikes, preparing to tech out of them if you need to.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
DK outranges you severely, so projectiles are your best friend. He's easy to combo, and not difficult to edgeguard with the cape edgestall. FLUDD will NOT work on his upB. Fireballs and Dairs are your best approach options to create your own openings.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
-Utilt as many as you can before you foresee him getting out, and finish off with an UpB in whichever direction he may be DIing towards.

-Don't charge FLUDD in this matchup. It gives him time to charge his Donky Punch AND THIS IS BAD. Your FLUDD doesnt work on his UpB though :S

-Cape him as he UpB's. While FLUDD is useless, the cape is really effective on his UpB. Donkey Kong commits himself to a certain direction, and he can't change the way he's going drastically enough to save himself.

-Fireballs. Burn him.

So pretty much, it's quite important to get inside his range, and fireball when out of it.
Just realize he kills you much earlier, and he has the range.
Don't worry, as you have a projectile and much better speed.
Overall, not a hard matchup.

in other news...

**** falco.

???????

Smash Journeyman
F.L.U.D.D. will aid you in controlling Donkey Kong's air space, but don't give him a chance to charge up his Giant Punch either; use the F.L.U.D.D. wisely during this match-up.

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
I'm SO glad someone made this thread (thanks Ranjiz) because just yesterday, I got knocked out of a tournament by a REDICULOUS DK. It didn't help that I had next to no experience fighting any DK either. My problem was I didn't spam fireballs enough. I kept trying to go right in for combos and ran right into shield grabs. He also used his up+b out of his shield instead of shield grabbing to rack up damage. I will take the other helpful stuff from this thread and use it in the future.

Ranjiz

Smash Apprentice
lol dude you're not the only one. i too got knocked out of a tournament by a dk but it was my second time fighting with dk and i thought i have advantage of knowing what to do but i was wrong. i was beaten. even spamming fireball won't help, a good dk player will figure it out and approaching isnt problem for them so i was screwed. i don't know perhaps it's the fact that i don't have the system and the game so i might not up for this kindaof par

tc1

Smash Lord
Well i didnt have a problem beating dk i just have to practice my tech..i have a mm with his this sat hes the best dk ive fought CBK

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
lol dude you're not the only one. i too got knocked out of a tournament by a dk but it was my second time fighting with dk and i thought i have advantage of knowing what to do but i was wrong. i was beaten. even spamming fireball won't help, a good dk player will figure it out and approaching isnt problem for them so i was screwed. i don't know perhaps it's the fact that i don't have the system and the game so i might not up for this kindaof par
no trust me...it works...Mario can throw fireballs fast enough to the point where DK doesn't have that many options other than getting hit...and when you're close grab him down throw and read his movements

Top Bottom