• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Splash Countering

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
I am pretty new to being a marth main, so im going to try and leave this pretty open ended and leave room for discussion. I thought it may be cool if someone made a list of which moves can easily be dolphin splashed out of while hitting your opponent and hopefully causing them to be knocked back for enough or KO`d so that you can land safely. I noticed most continuous moves (often jabs) can easily be escaped by dolphin splash.

A few i can think of off the top of my head are, falco`s jab, G&W`s jab, pikachu`s jab, sheik`s jab, Ike`s jab combo(i heard about this, anyone know if its true, if so which hit is it on?) Pit`s jab, Pit`s side B.

Also instead of just a list we could discuss things about timing, how often it should be used, any cool stage tricks with this?

I noticed sometimes out of falco`s jab, I am to high up and i miss the attack, so how would i know if i can use it safely or not? apologize in advance if a topic like this has been made before.

Ereth

Murda Bidness
In most cases if someone is jabbing a marth, they are expecting an upB. Most of the time your best bet is to SDI behind them and punish.

You can't upB out of ike's jab, unless they cancel it. If they use jab1 more than once you can DS.

DS is a move you should use at lower percents because at higher percent the risk > reward

Also, "Dolphin Slash"

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
You can dolphin slash during Jab 2 -> Rapid Jab for Falco.
You can DS out of Snake's Nair.

Normally I just reserve DS for Oos for quick punishes.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I'm pretty sure we can SDI up and away and then Fair Falco if he goes for the rapid jab (even if he somehow gets time to shield, if you space Fair correctly he can't punish it). It's much safer than trying to Up b out of it and it's better for Fair to be stale than Up b.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
It only stales if it hits an opponent or an item (like for example hitting a Waddle Dee with Up b). So no it doesn't if you use it to recover without hitting anything.

C.J.

Smash Master
Actually Ereth, you can DS out of Ike's jab based on how you SDI. It's just awkward because a lot of the time you end up DSing too high and whiff.

And get fsmashed.

And it sucks.

Vs a LOT of moves like this, your best option is to SDI away and mash out uair. It's super fast, disjointed, long, and sets up a juggle. If the read a DS and shield, you're using uair so you're still safe.

Top Bottom