• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does YL just.. beat the hell out of Samus??

Cia

das kwl
I honestly don't even have to be playing well and i just have such an easy time fighting them w/ YL. what do you guys think??

**also, it's kind of a given that in order for me to have an easy time against samus that it either has to be around my level, or below. so please don't just recommend that i go fight hugs.. i live in New York.

VaNz (Young Link) + AlexTriad (Samus)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHCO7Aw66m0

oh and this one i didn't even know was online. but it's from VLS.. back when i was still finding myself.. LOL

VaNz (Young Link) + ???? (Samus)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvi3A2AueOQ

rhan

Smash Hero
My brother is a Samus mainer and I always beat him. But there is a few times he wins but overall I think Young Link counters Samus.

-Standing motion blocks missles[But sometimes Young Link drops his guard.]
-Uairs and Dairs are easy kills to a Samus
-Dtilt spike is rather easy to do considering the predictable up B [also can be used if the chain isnt sweet spotted.]

Those are my three basics of samus killing <.<

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Phanna's chart (old I know) says that Samus has the advantage over Young Link 7-3.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nGiL7dhHsps

Dunno, there aren't many Young Link players out there. I found a few matches of HugS against BuzzSaw, but they were pretty old...

As for the match you posted... eh, the Samus didn't use her missiles that much and DK64 probably messes with Samus' tether recovery too.

I don't think the Deku Shield blocking missiles is a big deal though, because it forces you to stand still, which gives Samus an opening to rush in with an attack, but I could be wrong.

As for the uair and dair killing Samus... they should be survivable for a while with good DI and I don't think the dtilt would work if the Samus could Meteor Cancel/ledgetech/sweetspot/hit you with the Screw Attack.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I don't think the Deku Shield blocking missiles is a big deal though, because it forces you to stand still, which gives Samus an opening to rush in with an attack, but I could be wrong.
Since you can do anything from standing still with 0 lag, you are wrong. In fact its the most lagfree way to block missiles in the game.
And you can still be mobile inbetween the missile shootings, since you can dash cancel or wavedash to a standing position at any time.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I understand that you don't have lag from blocking a missile with the shield, but it also means you're standing right there, so Samus can rush you behind the missile and grab you or nair or dash attack.

My understanding was that the missile was used to create an opening, not necessarily to hit the opponent. In order to take advantage of the lagless block, you'd have to intercept Samus' next action with something near instantaneous, as you'd have to have been standing still at the moment the missile reached you. The only thing I can think of is the bomb, which makes it so that you wouldn't be able to block the missile anyway.

Me14k

Smash Lord
Vanz. being that we are both peach players, we understand that the way for a peach to beat a samus is to camp, right? Right.

Because of peach's camping verse samus, peach walks out with the advantage..

This leads me to think that ylink would have quite an adv. verse a samus-perhaps even a counter. As a player who gets a lot of vs. samus play time--I think it is a fairly close matchup.

What pushes me away from ylink owning in this matchup is that:
1. Young Link can't kill samus...Between samus' heavyness+amazing recovery..
2. Young link gets killed easily by samus. Second ylink is off the edge, samus just needs to gimp with nair.

I'd say it is a 6-4, ylink's adv.

DD151

Smash Journeyman
hasn't this been brought up before, or was it a vs. peach discussion?

Cia

das kwl
Vanz. being that we are both peach players, we understand that the way for a peach to beat a samus is to camp, right? Right.

Because of peach's camping verse samus, peach walks out with the advantage..

This leads me to think that ylink would have quite an adv. verse a samus-perhaps even a counter. As a player who gets a lot of vs. samus play time--I think it is a fairly close matchup.

What pushes me away from ylink owning in this matchup is that:
1. Young Link can't kill samus...Between samus' heavyness+amazing recovery..
2. Young link gets killed easily by samus. Second ylink is off the edge, samus just needs to gimp with nair.

I'd say it is a 6-4 ylink's adv.
i kind of agree with this. bit a lot of the time, it seems like samus can't even get near YL.. and to kill samus.. i just wait for Boomerang/ Bomb + D-air.

she dies fairly easy because of her floatiness (not a word, i know LOL)

i should probably have also posted this in the samus area as well, to get it from a samus player's point of view..

Thanks everyone for the responses, i'd still like to see what everyone else has to say about this

DD151 - i remember the YL v Peach discussion being pretty huge because YL players were all smug and like "Young Link ***** Peach" and a bunch of angry Peach players were like "Peach does not get countered by a low tier.." the sad truth is that i think she does, but that was posted in the peach area??

Me14k

Smash Lord
Vanz--i posted before watching vids.

After i watched, good job. Your ylink is wayyyy better than your peach.

But one specific thing--surprizingly up to maybe 50%(maybe 60%) upthrow up air connects with samus. When you grabbed you always dthrow the samus--im pretty sure that you can't hit with aerial vs samus here---she will nair you. uptilt will connect if samus doesn't jump.

Cia

das kwl
Vanz--i posted before watching vids.

After i watched, good job. Your ylink is wayyyy better than your peach.

But one specific thing--surprizingly up to maybe 50%(maybe 60%) upthrow up air connects with samus. When you grabbed you always dthrow the samus--im pretty sure that you can't hit with aerial vs samus here---she will nair you. uptilt will connect if samus doesn't jump.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

i don't think i've heard that before.. my PEACH just beat M2K's Marth in a crew battle. (you can ask him to confirm this) you must've seen my crappy videos.. LOL

but thanks anyway

Cia

das kwl
Vanz...the vids i watched of your peach (no offense) were..umm...pathetic.

Link me to your better vids.
nahh, I'd rather not. I mean I do have a few vidz that I'm proud of. so if you wanna see them, you'd have to find.

but on a different note, if we every happen to be at the same tournament, look me up..

we can do a $50.00 money match, and you wouldn't have to worry about your peach because I wouldn't use Young Link ^_^

Geist

Smash Master
It's honestly a wierd matchup. I find that it can go either way.

If played properly, Samus is able to pressure young link pretty well, and definately vice-versa. Not including projectiles, samus is faster and has more range in alot of her attacks, but Young Link does have alot of options to counter Samus's missile game. Well placed bombs can cancel most of young link's projectiles, while actually using bombs under heavy spam can be near impossible...
If the Young Link knows how to deal with Samus's ground game, I can see why this could be a disadvantage for samus, seeing how there isn't too much more Samus can do.
When I face Young Link I try to make sure I stay close to YL, to prevent him from getting away with using too many projectiles by jabbing or trying to keep him above me at all times.

I don't have as much YL experience as I do Link, so I don't absolutely know how this matchup can turn out with other people.

Top Bottom