• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does turning into Zelda and back reset the stale move counter?

MJfan725

Smash Apprentice
lol never mind Atrioc gave false infomration

Last edited:

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
A move's damage stales by calculating the last 9 moves you had last used, roughly following a formula where the more recent moves in the queue impose the greatest penalty to damage for that respective move; however, I don't believe there is KB staling in Melee

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
There's damage staling, which indirectly creates knockback staling since damage is part of what determines knockback.

I don't know whether changing between Sheik/Zelda clears the stale move queue, but you could quickly and easily test it for yourself.

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I'm assuming Atrioc is a friend of yours. He probably brought it up because Scar or Toph brought it up today while commentating Armada vs. Plup at Battle of the Five Gods.

As a PM player I'm more knowledgeable about Brawl's Transform, which completely removes Sheik/Zelda from the match and then loads up the character files for the other. This leads to transform having no time duration; it has set frame data for the startup and endlag, but the loading time in-between can vary from almost instantaneous to several minutes depending on the processing power of the Wii/Computer, or if the character files being loaded are already present (e.g. if a Zelda and a Sheik were to team together and the Zelda transformed, it wouldn't take the game too long since Sheik's character files are already being used in another player slot). In this scenario, it would make perfect sense for Transform to refresh their stale move counters, since the game is loading up a fresh "character" in every instance.

Melee transform differs from Brawl/PM transform though. Unlike in Brawl/PM, iic Melee transform has set frame data, meaning that it isn't affected by factors like the processing speed. Can't confirm whether or not that means the game has both characters pre-loaded from the start of each game - which has always been my guess, but that would make the stale move counter refresh unlikely. I would take Scar and Tophs' word for it though, since they said they were told from...idk I forget, someone well-informed. Kadano Kadano ...?

Kadano

Magical Express
They share the same stale queue. So Transform does not reset the stale queue of course. (It took about 30 seconds to test this, idk why people don't simply check it themselves before spreading rumors.)

Melee constantly keeps the other transform character loaded and just activates it to the other character's position at the change frame of Transform (44 for Zelda→Sheik, 37 for Sheik→Zelda).

Last edited:
Top Bottom