• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does this work?

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Does this work, or is it escapable? (I don't have access to Smash right now, so I can't really verify for myself).

Anyways, I've been brushing the dust off my ICs recently, just because I got bored of using Mewtwo (I know, crazy, right?). Anyways, I watched double vision for a bunch of the desynchs, and the squall desynch got me thinking.

As an abuse of the jab reset, could you (with the opponent on his back):
1.) wavedash in
2.) jab, to reset the opponent
3.) solo squall desynch off the jab, following the opponent
4.) smash with Nana

Is that a combo? Does solo squall send them too far away? Is there a window of time for them to get out?

This probably is very situational, and hence not too applicable, but I'm just curious.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
It would work occasionally, but the smash isn't guaranteed, and the squall is then punishable. It is still applicable; don't overuse it. (Although I have managed to SS -> d-smash a recovering opponent three times in a row. :p)

On the topic of jab reset, however, why wouldn't you follow up with grab? Free blizzard + throw + smash at the very least (already more damage than a Solo Squall to smash), free stock in the right situation.

cemo

white walker
you could probably just grab if you have enough time to squall

edit: totally didn't read kyu's post

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
You should get rid of #1, and just use 2 as your starting point, becaus it applies to anytime you land a jab, not just from a WD.

1st Question: Has any1 even tried solo squalling after a synched jab? Sounds like it would be extremely hard to time so that Nana doesn't follow with her own squall, given the cooldown for their jab is like what, 3 frames? Doesn't seem consistently feasible to consider being given time to invest in.

To answer your Q: No, it would not "combo", in the sense that it is inescapable giving correct DI reading, etc. That of course doesn't mean it couldn't work, if the opponent mis DI'd. Otherwise, it gives them time to air dodge, or even land, and therefore either shield or dodge the Smash. I also agree with both Phen and Kyu: If you hit a jab, your best bet is to almost always follow with a grab. Now, if it's a friendly or you don't care about the outcome of the match, why not try it out? Sounds like it would be kool if it hit.

Also, something I just thought of: SH blizzard w/Nana after Popo solo squalls. More range and so would probably be easier to place than a F/Usmash, and of course sets up a grab. Mmm, tasty...:lick:

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
1st Question: Has any1 even tried solo squalling after a synched jab? Sounds like it would be extremely hard to time so that Nana doesn't follow with her own squall, given the cooldown for their jab is like what, 3 frames? Doesn't seem consistently feasible to consider being given time to invest in.
Remember, this is melee -- Nana can't squall. :p

Solo Squall is easy after any move, whether it connects or not. Nifty trick, Solo Squall from a whiffed b-air covers a lot of ground. If someone tries to seperate you while you're in the air, the Squall will mess them up and Nana can counter-punish them.

P.S. SH Nanapult is really underused. Full Nanapult is pretty useless, it's true, but Nana isn't as vulnerable in a SH blizzard, and it completely protects Popo's approach (esp from projectiles and stuff).

Binx

Smash Master
They could smash DI out of the squall for sure, and they might be able to crouch cancel and shield the smash, also they could hold a direction during the jab to prevent the reset since they would roll.

Top Bottom