• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does this strategy hold any water?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I got a Pyukumuku with a crippled defence stat nature (and it boosts special attack to boot) so I had an idea of putting that to my advantage by having it's defence low and running counter and taunt. I've filled the full EV on Special Defence and HP but what do I put the last lot into? Do I boost the defense a little bit or do I put it into speed, on the off chance I can outrun a munchlax?

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I got a Pyukumuku with a crippled defence stat nature (and it boosts special attack to boot) so I had an idea of putting that to my advantage by having it's defence low and running counter and taunt. I've filled the full EV on Special Defence and HP but what do I put the last lot into? Do I boost the defense a little bit or do I put it into speed, on the off chance I can outrun a munchlax?
What format would this be for? Though the nature is useless since its Sp attack arsenal has no Special attacks, Gentle would be the better fit (Sp Def increase for Def) for a counter set but with 121 min defense you'll only get about 1 counter in before it kills pyukumuku because it's speed is slow. Taunt only works if they don't have an attack boosting move that will allow it to kill with one hit unless it has unaware (but then again it wouldn't deal damage through Innards out). Special attackers will ruin the set especially if they are immune to toxic, or have magic guard. You most likely won't encounter a Munchlax in the main formats. But the only other option would be too put the 4 in Defense since its not going to do any good in the two attack stats, HP is maxed out along with Special Defense and its speed isn't worth the extra point..
But all-in-all pyukumuku has a bit too much defense to use counter imo. It could work but not as well as other counter/mirror coat users. it does have a mind game factor, but it's most useful position would be as a revenge killer to a weakened opponent with innards out killing itself in the process..

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't really get what Game Freak was thinking with Pyukumuku. Its only attacks are Bide and Counter, both of which have no effect against Ghost-types. I guess it could always be used as a Baton Passer, though anything with Taunt pretty much stops that strategy from working.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the little Sea Cucumber's gimmick is Wobuffet with variety, which doesn't really work as Wobuffet with the tiny addition of Wynaut's variety is literally OP.

I think there'll be some brilliant strategy to be found in time but for now all that's to do is to find it.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
That moveset is terrible because:
1. It requires Pyukumuku to not be up against a Special Attacker and the offensive Grass and Electric mons it hates in today's meta are dominantly Special Attackers like Tangrowth or Tapu Koko
2. You're just making it fodder even for certain physical attackers like Substitute Leech Seed Tapu Bulu
3. Speed isn't going to make a lick of difference because Pyukumuku can't outspeed anything important to actually get a Taunt off and Counter has -6 priority.
4. Since it can't outspeed anything, it just gets statused and shut down, so you'd be forced to carry Tapu Fini's Misty Terrain support to avoid that but by that time, you might as well drop Pyukumuku for Tapu Fini entirely since Fini is actually fast enough to reliably get Taunt off and can do better damage with Nature's Madness and Moonblast/Scald. In fact, Tapu Fini destroys Pyukumuku 1v1.

TLDR; Pyukumuku is trash. Just use standard Shadow Tag Wobbuffet and Tapu Fini for what you're trying to accomplish.

Top Bottom