• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does this bother you?

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
Does it bother anyone else that there really aren't going to be any 3ds tournaments? Like I understand that the wii u is more loved but I mean come on.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
It does bother me. I only own a 3DS (and if I'm not mistaken, more people worldwide own a 3DS over a Wii U) and I have no way to play in a tournament.

I get you guys are addicted to Gamecube controller, but at least give us an OPTION.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
It does bother me. I only own a 3DS (and if I'm not mistaken, more people worldwide own a 3DS over a Wii U) and I have no way to play in a tournament.

I get you guys are addicted to Gamecube controller, but at least give us an OPTION.
I own the 3ds only too but I plan to get a wii u but I'd like to have a 3ds tourney. It almost makes the 3ds version not worth it.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to go out there and say that now that jab/smash with item in hand is gone, I don't see a reason not to use the 3DS as a controller. It's like the GCN controller without the nasty springs and how high the buttons are from the contacts. I also appreciate the portability of the 3DS version, it lets me take it places to get friendlies in, so I can get quality practice in without having to lug my Wii U everywhere.

I can partially understand why the tournament scene isn't as popular for the 3DS, since the stage choice is really limited, there's the chance of game crippling lag if someone detonates a microwave within a mile of you, and the loading times are pretty abysmal, not to mention unless you drop another 300 dollars for the same handheld you already own, you can't enjoy your C stick, if you were into that. All of that said, I would like to see more 3DS love competitively speaking, it has its upsides.

Also remember that 3DS tournaments probably happen a lot and you just don't know they do. It's pretty rough to stream from one of them, you know.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
I mean you don't have to stream every tournament and I mean at wii u tourneys everyone just picks smashvill or battle field. Plus the c stick isn't that needed half the time I forget it's there. I love the 3ds versions portability though.

Thor

Smash Champion

Use your 3DS as a controller in a Smash 4 Wii U tournament? Sure, you have no way to play in a 3DS tournament, but you can still play in a Wii U tournament with your 3DS as a controller if I'm not mistaken.

Or is there something I'm overlooking here?

Last edited:

Sacredden

Smash Cadet
Use your 3DS as a controller in a Smash 4 Wii U tournament? Sure, you have no way to play in a 3DS tournament, but you can still play in a Wii U tournament with your 3DS as a controller if I'm not mistaken.

Or is there something I'm overlooking here?
One thing overlooked is as seen when the demo was being showed off, there has been input lag when high concentration of 3DS are in the same area.

Most people who play 3DS can operate on WiiU Pro Controller.
3DS is unreliable with online matches though when it comes to online tourney.
On a competitive level people like more variety in stages and control, more its understandable about the WiiU used more.
And there is always that one guy that didn't update his game.....

TerraSky

Super Smash Goat
NNID
TarrenSky
3DS FC
0791-4190-6031
Switch FC
SW-8134-0988-3694
I would definitely love to have a 3DS tournament. It would be a nice change of pace from For Glory, which was the only real experience I've been able to get so far (call me a scrub).

I understand why the Wii U has dominated the tournament scene, but c'mon, give the option to the people who just have the humble handheld!

DrXenoPootis

Smash Cadet
NNID
DrXenoPootis
3DS FC
3969-6817-9705
It does quite bother me, I mean there's not a whole lot of TOs that are willing to host 3DS tourneys.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Well I could just use my 3DS as a controller in Wii U tourneys if given the option. I'm pretty sure I could find an outlet to charge it when I'm not using it if the tourney takes a long time.

TerraSky

Super Smash Goat
NNID
TarrenSky
3DS FC
0791-4190-6031
Switch FC
SW-8134-0988-3694
Well I could just use my 3DS as a controller in Wii U tourneys if given the option. I'm pretty sure I could find an outlet to charge it when I'm not using it if the tourney takes a long time.
Is the 3DS even allowed as a controller option in tournaments? If so, that would be amazing. If not, why isn't it?

DrXenoPootis

Smash Cadet
NNID
DrXenoPootis
3DS FC
3969-6817-9705
I think its allowed in local tourneys around your area, but for international tourneys its a no no. They don't want you to spend time connecting to the Wii U.

Last edited:

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
As a 2ds only person, it bothers me none. The Wii U is superior due to the offline capabilities. That's all.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
One thing overlooked is as seen when the demo was being showed off, there has been input lag when high concentration of 3DS are in the same area.

Most people who play 3DS can operate on WiiU Pro Controller.
3DS is unreliable with online matches though when it comes to online tourney.
On a competitive level people like more variety in stages and control, more its understandable about the WiiU used more.
And there is always that one guy that didn't update his game.....
I've tried using the 3ds as the controller, it's strange. Like I stated before no one picks other stages but like two or three.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
3ds tournaments are a thing, But you have to start your own locally. They do have tournaments available in public too, But it always takes place in specific events. For example: Comic Con and E3

D

Deleted member

Sort of, yeah. I'm okay with Wii U being more active in terms of tourneys and what not, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uffe

Smash Hero
Why not just go to tourneys anyway? I guess I'm just a bit fortunate to have a friend who owns a Wii U and I can practice on it once a week. Your 3DS skills should be fine when they transfer over to the Wii U, assuming you're fine playing that one without the c-stick. Or take your 3DS with you as a controller. It is kind of lame that there aren't any 3DS tourneys, though. I'd be fine with that.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
If you want 3DS tourneys, host 3DS tourneys and make them more popular. They aren't just gonna happen naturally, so do something about it.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
I doesn't bug me that much, since I have a Gamecube controller. I just compete in Wii U tournaments.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Not really! Both have the same inputs (via the Customization), you can transfer Custom Moves and the Overall Experience is the same. The difference is that you need to know Wii U stages better, and a GC Controller is needed.

Niala

Smash Ace
Part of what makes the 3DS somewhat unsuitable for tournaments isn't really the controller but the absolutely abysmal stage-list. Most people are only willing to play 4 stages on the 3DS version, with a small group of people being willing to also use Arena Ferox. It's also ill-suited to have dozens and dozens of games going on in the same room. If you remember the 3DS Nintendo Tournament last year, there were quite a few connectivity issues present. I know I would be incredibly salty if a game just suddenly stopped in the middle of a set, regardless of whether or not I was winning it.

I'll admit, I also personally think the 3DS as a controller is an issue. This is only really because tournaments have the potential to last for very long periods depending on how many entrants there are, and the 3DS isn't exactly comfortable for extended use like that. The GNC controller has a better design to be held and used for several hours, I don't think that's really debatable.

Now, it does have significant advantages too, I just don't think they outweigh the negative side-effects of using it. For one, sets and tournaments as a whole are much quicker because all the players can play against each other at the same time-- there's no waiting around for limited t.v.'s. The whole bracket can be running at once, so there's smaller wait times for the players, too. The matter of custom moves also becomes simpler, because everybody is directly responsible for their own and there's no need to transfer movesets between systems several times a day.

In general, the 3DS lacks certain capabilities and, more importantly, consistencies that the WiiU has to offer as a whole. So, no, it doesn't really bother me.

D

Deleted member

1. Tournaments that stream can't stream 3DS easily.
2. If you want a scene that is non-existent, make it yourself.
3. You don't need a Wii U to enter a tournament, only a Wii U Pro Controller or a Gamecube Controller.
Gamecube Controller at GameStop 29.99$
Wii U Pro Controller at GameStop 49.99$
on eBay for 15~$ used
4. It's hard for others to actually watch the matches due to the screens being small and right up in your face so it's really not a good idea without the special equipment Nintendo has. Only hope I can see is if Nintendo makes a 3DS TV or 3DS emulation takes off and people can start using PC's for Smash 3DS and even then that's much more setup required than a console.

So yeah, only way this kind of scene is gonna work is without audiences or streaming and just people playing which is gonna be a hard thing to entice people into.

D

Deleted member

erm there is 3ds tournaments.... i have loads at my local gaming place and i have even seen ones on youtube that have been streamed. i think its just unfortunate that your area dosent have any 3ds tournaments. undboutdly

D

Deleted member

(accidently clicked post) undoubtedly 3ds tourneys are less popular but they are there...

Top Bottom