• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does the controller REALLY matter?

HiddenKitsune

Smash Cadet
NNID
CosmicCucco
3DS FC
4639-9331-4635
Many can argue that the Gamecube controller is "the best" when it comes to competitive play. From the grooves on both sticks to the comfortability of the general controller, the Gamecube controller is great for playing Smash Bros. But another could argue the Classic Controller Pro is the best. It's a mixture of SNES and GCN compacted together into a Virtual Console dream remote. But all of this aside, I've noticed something odd. I play Project M on a White Wii where I can play with a GCN Controller. I used to play every game with the classic controller but now that I have two smash brand controllers, I just have to show them off in public! I've been playing Project M again with a friend for about a week now. Just a few minutes ago I was playing with a Classic Controller on a WiiU. The drastic change in gameplay nearly destroyed me. I was able to beat the Level 9 computer but it felt so out-of-place. I couldn't recognize any input lag but it felt like Sheik's Fair was not doing nearly as much knockback as it usually does. And I couldn't tell if I was L-Cancelling or not. On top of that, the Wii-Games-on-Wii-U-Graphics made it hard to tell any precise close-quarters action.

TL;DR Is there a difference in gameplay playing 3.5 on a White Wii with a GCN Controller and playing on a WiiU with a Classic Controller?

TheCrusaderp

Smash Rookie
I like the Gamecube controller mainly because I've been using it for so many years. I'm sure that if I started out with a Wii U classic controller, I would say the classic controller was best.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
Many can argue that the Gamecube controller is "the best" when it comes to competitive play. From the grooves on both sticks to the comfortability of the general controller, the Gamecube controller is great for playing Smash Bros. But another could argue the Classic Controller Pro is the best. It's a mixture of SNES and GCN compacted together into a Virtual Console dream remote. But all of this aside, I've noticed something odd. I play Project M on a White Wii where I can play with a GCN Controller. I used to play every game with the classic controller but now that I have two smash brand controllers, I just have to show them off in public! I've been playing Project M again with a friend for about a week now. Just a few minutes ago I was playing with a Classic Controller on a WiiU. The drastic change in gameplay nearly destroyed me. I was able to beat the Level 9 computer but it felt so out-of-place. I couldn't recognize any input lag but it felt like Sheik's Fair was not doing nearly as much knockback as it usually does. And I couldn't tell if I was L-Cancelling or not. On top of that, the Wii-Games-on-Wii-U-Graphics made it hard to tell any precise close-quarters action.

TL;DR Is there a difference in gameplay playing 3.5 on a White Wii with a GCN Controller and playing on a WiiU with a Classic Controller?

As long as both controllers do not have input lag, have the same cord lengths (if I was indecisive on which one to use I would pick the one with the cord length I like better, whether that be because one takes forever to ravel or is too short to play at home on) and you can press the buttons on both, it doesn't matter at all.

Wii U doesn't support composite video iirc, which means it's also likely that whatever TV you're using had input lag, so I prefer playing on Wii with composite on CRTs obviously.

The only thing I could thing of for the controllers is that the classic controller pro does not have analog triggers, just buttons. Prevents light press stuff from happening.
(The biggest would be L-Cancelling without opening tech window so that you can tech an incoming counterattack I believe. @ SpiderMad SpiderMad knows more about this than me for sure.)

SpiderMad

Smash Master
(The biggest would be L-Cancelling without opening tech window so that you can tech an incoming counterattack I believe. @ SpiderMad SpiderMad knows more about this than me for sure.)
http://smashboards.com/threads/a-di...ad-thing-health-related.360937/#post-17071426
Hard fact detriments to both Springless, Light Press Air dodge, and all Wii controllers being used for PM are (in the fullset):
- Can't buffer shield in the air without being in a action to hault the air dodge
- Can't Aerial OOS without letting go of shield with tether characters (can be argued springless is better in this regard)
- Can't Shield drop Aerial without letting go of shield with tether characters (can be argued springless is better in this regard)
- The tech window being used on L-cancel
and then one that applies with 2 or more frames of buffer (if you do a cancel like Lucarios Aura it will buffer the air dodge unless you release it 2 frames or however early the buffer amount is; which in Brawl's 10 frames made it always air dodge)
http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-social-thread-v3-5.339825/page-1391#post-18264410

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
The only controller Nintendo has made that I can do decent with is the Pro Controller...which is a huge problem with Project M since I can't use the Pro Controller with that game. I also like using a DualShock 4, but I can only do that with Dolphin.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
The only controller Nintendo has made that I can do decent with is the Pro Controller...which is a huge problem with Project M since I can't use the Pro Controller with that game. I also like using a DualShock 4, but I can only do that with Dolphin.
Why can't you use it with PM? It should work

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
The Classic Controller Pro and the Pro Controller are two very different controllers. You cannot use a Pro Controller with Wii games.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I'm not a competitive techy like the guys above me, I'm a casual, but I still think the Gamecube controller's better. I don't have a classic controller yet, but I did get to try it once and it wasn't very comfortable. The Gamecube just feels right, the button placement is nice, the c-stick is positioned well. My only problem is that sometimes, when left-taunting, I'll up-taunt. Which isn't a big problem at all.
When using the Wiimote and Nunchuck though, I've been having problems... Sometimes, when I press a button, it double-presses, making jumping a pain in my sweety patoot. I think that might just be the controller though, and not the game.

The Classic Controller Pro and the Pro Controller are two very different controllers. You cannot use a Pro Controller with Wii games.
But you can use a Classic Controller in place of the Pro Controller on Wii U games... Right?
Also, Yoshi + Diddy.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Depends on the game. Most games that support Pro will also support CC, but some just don't. I know Hyrule Warriors doesn't, yet it does support nunchuk for some reason.

Jeeble

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jeeble
3DS FC
4227-0772-2000
The thing that makes them so good is that they're easily customizable, work with Gamecube and Wii, and would still be legal at tournaments.

Like if you prefer the sticks on a different controller, you can change it, or if you hate the edges around the stick, you could get rid of those with some knife work.

joe411

Smash Rookie
NNID
joe411
I think most people who have been playing since melee are just used to the gamecube controller.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
^this

I use the wavebird myself cause its the best of both worlds. CCpro and wiiu pro controllers are good but when I switch to SDR (or even an n64 game) we can't use any wii controllers for the game.

so when my "filthy casual" bro wants to play smash bros, I gotta switch to PM because he likes that nunchuck controller

Top Bottom