• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does the 3DS version have the same feel as the wii u version?

Smog

Smash Journeyman
Could I pick up a wii u controller and not even realize the difference? Or does it have a different feel to it?

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I'd say so for the gameplay aspect to it. Controls may be slightly different obviously(from 3ds to gamepad. More different if you use other controllers). The game feels exactly the same. If you pull of combos, you can do exactly the same on the other version.

1amayzingman

Smash Cadet
NNID
1amayzingman
The control scheme between versions is virtually identical unless you make adjustments to it. Only difference between controls really is the fact that the 3DS doesn't have a C stick, or in that case a quick Smash attack button on it unlike most of the Wii U version controls do.

Last edited:

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy
I was also wondering about this, like i you learn how to master every aspect of a character(hypothetically of course) how much of it would transfer over?

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
It took me a match or two to get used to it. I recommend to adjust the controller settings to match your 3ds settings.

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy
aye, thank you erico, I was kinda worried about investing too much time into the 3ds version and having none of work translate over.

Smog

Smash Journeyman
Okay good. I still actively play melee so the controls won't be too much of an issue I think.

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
1 or 2 games is a bit too optimistic imo. I needed 1 or 2 days of playing to be completely used to it, but yeah, it is no real problem.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Transitioning from the 3DS to the Wii U was seamless and wonderful, but now that I'm used to the c-stick I can't pull off some things I'm used to when going back to the 3DS (which I am surprisingly often). Such as the running up smash. It's just easier with that second stick right there.

Last edited:

Dragonspiller

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dragonspiller
3DS FC
0748-2110-7145
The WiiU version feels a little different mostly because I'm not used the gamecube controller (I tried it at the MOA at an event and the only choice for control was gamecube controllers) but other wise it's the same game with more modes and better graphics. Also no smash run :(

Valacar

Smash Cadet
Controls differ(different systems, so, of course, of that bothers you, it's going to feel slightly off) it also seems to be that certain characters have an actual weight difference. Mario, for example, seems heavier on one version compared to the other.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Controls differ(different systems, so, of course, of that bothers you, it's going to feel slightly off) it also seems to be that certain characters have an actual weight difference. Mario, for example, seems heavier on one version compared to the other.
I don't think that is true. As a mario main, I see no difference between the 2 versions for mario. You may have some kind of feel when you transition from a handheld to an home console.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
The only difference that has affected me is the Circle Pad compared to the analog used for the Wii U. I actually have an easier time performing tilts on the Circle Pad than on the Wii U. (Which is a good thing since I don't have a New 3DS.) This does make the characters feel slightly different to me, but as others have mentioned you'll adapt fast.

If you've gotten good at tilts with the Circle Pad, you may have to rely more on the right analog when playing on Wii U while you adapt.

Top Bottom