• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Sakurai only put fighters from IPs that have only one game or lots of games?

Nathan Productions

Smash Rookie
In 2015, when Sakurai was creating the roster for Ultimate, he included the Inklings there because it was new successful IP. But the Splatoon series only had one game at the time. So, does Sakurai only put fighters from IPs that have only one game or lots of games?

DRGN

Technowizard
Hi. Welcome to Smashboards!

I'm unsure how you navigated to this part of the forums, but this area is for modding Melee. I think the sub-forum you might want is the Ultimate Character Discussion. (I'll go ahead and move this for you.)

As for your question, I think Nintendo/Sakurai mainly tries to add their most popular characters. However, secondarily, they'll look for characters that they believe (or hope) will become popular. For example, Marth and Roy weren't really known in the U.S. when Melee came out, but their franchise, Fire Emblem, was already pretty popular in Japan, and Nintendo already had plans to bring it stateside.

Last edited:
Top Bottom