• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Roy have any bad matchups?

OrbitAnubis

Smash Rookie
As far as I can tell, he can compete with a lot of the roster. I'm just curious to what his weaknesses are.
His edge and combo game are really good

Erik Aldereguia

Smash Cadet
I'm fairly new to the game, only playing a year or so but in my experience as playing Roy, I've had a hard time with Mario. it seems very difficult to get in against him, although once you can, you can combo him fairly well, but that gets harder when facing better players who know how to DI consistently. I haven't had as much a problem with other characters who have a strong zoning game like link, however, this may just be lack of experience, as I have not had too many matches against such characters. I have read snake is a tough MU, but I always cp my secondary, Zelda for that MU, so I can't rly say. Another MU i find can be difficult is marth, basically since he has a slightly better grab game and pseudo-outranges you. if hes playing smart, he can keep you at a distance where the tipper is always a threat, but similar to mario, he can be in a tough situation once you get in, as long as you dont get grabbed. so this is definitely a skill matchup, but i'd give the edge to marth.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
As far as I can tell, he can compete with a lot of the roster. I'm just curious to what his weaknesses are.
His edge and combo game are really good
Sheik, Mario, Pit, Mewtwo, Link, and Marth (55/45 in Marth's favor) are some MUs that come to mind.

Chromewhip

Smash Cadet
I'm fairly new to the game, only playing a year or so but in my experience as playing Roy, I've had a hard time with Mario. it seems very difficult to get in against him, although once you can, you can combo him fairly well, but that gets harder when facing better players who know how to DI consistently. I haven't had as much a problem with other characters who have a strong zoning game like link, however, this may just be lack of experience, as I have not had too many matches against such characters. I have read snake is a tough MU, but I always cp my secondary, Zelda for that MU, so I can't rly say. Another MU i find can be difficult is marth, basically since he has a slightly better grab game and pseudo-outranges you. if hes playing smart, he can keep you at a distance where the tipper is always a threat, but similar to mario, he can be in a tough situation once you get in, as long as you dont get grabbed. so this is definitely a skill matchup, but i'd give the edge to marth.

just a heads up, roys fair destroys marios fireballs, so approach with fairs constantly(swipe those fireballs away!), pretty easy to get in once you've figured that out.

Erik Aldereguia

Smash Cadet
just a heads up, roys fair destroys marios fireballs, so approach with fairs constantly(swipe those fireballs away!), pretty easy to get in once you've figured that out.
ah ok. that is something i had not thought about. i generally try to go under them, but it can be easier said then done. hadnt rly thought about a fair wall. (i generally like to approach with shffl'ed nair, though i suppose thats not always the optimum choice) unfortunately i don't have many people to practice with, so I dont get all that much practice against certain matchups. only played a couple of mario's. thanks for the tip!

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
Sheik, Mario, Pit, Mewtwo, Link, and Marth (55/45 in Marth's favor) are some MUs that come to mind.
Other than Sheik I can agree with this list. CC Dtilts rip Sheik and Spaced Nairs tear through needles. For me Marth rips me though. Lucario is a hard MU IMO as well and maybe 55/45 MK as well.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Other than Sheik I can agree with this list. CC Dtilts rip Sheik and Spaced Nairs tear through needles.
Sheik can CC the d-tilt and only the first hit of N-air tears through needles. It's around the same difficulty (if not a bit harder) than fighting a Marth (around 60/40 in Sheik's favor).

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
Sheik can CC the d-tilt and only the first hit of N-air tears through needles. It's around the same difficulty (if not a bit harder) than fighting a Marth (around 60/40 in Sheik's favor).
I see! I knew she could CC the Dtilt but I usually try to mind game and lead into grabs when they read the Dtilt.And I didn't know it was only the first hit of Nair. I guess I just read Sheiks easier. Marth feels like 90/10 for me! Thank for the info. I'll make sure to not make that error again!

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I would love to know the secret to the Roy vs Marth matchup lol. @ Remo Remo I have the same problem. My friend mains marth and he beats me 80-90% of the time we play unless he SDs a stock or two or I'm playing Godlike (which doesnt happen all too often lol).

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
I would love to know the secret to the Roy vs Marth matchup lol. @ Remo Remo I have the same problem. My friend mains marth and he beats me 80-90% of the time we play unless he SDs a stock or two or I'm playing Godlike (which doesnt happen all too often lol).
The secret is to be better at the grounded grab -> tech chase -> punish game and spacing than he is.

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
The secret is to be better at the grounded grab -> tech chase -> punish game and spacing than he is.
The only thing I don't do well against Marth is space. My grab tech chase and punish are solid as hell. I just get reckless and don't space at all lol.

Kirito-

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRealKirito
3DS FC
3179-7237-9807
I find the Marth/Roy MU to be slightly in Marth's favor but not by much. I pretty much main both characters so I know some of the tricks with both.

Marth can keep Roy out as long as he plays smart. SHFFL nair and fair will keep Roy out so dash dance to bait out moves and punish. Once you're in, you can deal some heavy damage. I usually just go for the Dtilt follow by a short Uair juggle to Bair. Edge guarding a good Marth with Roy is very difficult but Marth has a fairly easy time edge guarding Roy. Roy is also at the weight where he can get combo'd by Marth coupled with his slower mobility and weaker grab game make it a hard MU for beginners, but once you learn the MU, you can punish really hard with your superior punishes and combo game.

It's about 55/45 IMO.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
What are you nutjobs talking about, nobody can CC Roy's dtilt unless they are already crouching, which 95% of the time is not the case

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I'd wager Roy loses to a lot of the same stuff Marth does, seeing how they have a similar neutral game. I'd wager, Mewtwo, Link, Ivy, DK, Sheik could give Roy issue.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
I Ftilt a lot in the marth matchup and it works out pretty well for me in spacing. I believe it is longer range than marth's fsmash (can anybody confirm?)

Kirito-

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheRealKirito
3DS FC
3179-7237-9807
I Ftilt a lot in the marth matchup and it works out pretty well for me in spacing. I believe it is longer range than marth's fsmash (can anybody confirm?)
I believe you are right, can't 100% confirm this atm, but when I do, I'll tell you.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Mario, Link, and DK (oh God, DK), are definitely his worst match-ups.

I agree with Marth too. I generally have a tough time with Marth's. I feel the MU is 60/40

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Alright guys, back from a while, sorry about that. But anyway, does anyone have much experience with Pikachu vs Roy? I have the hardest time with the little ******, and it seems to be consistent for me.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys, back from a while, sorry about that. But anyway, does anyone have much experience with Pikachu vs Roy? I have the hardest time with the little ****er, and it seems to be consistent for me.
In my experience, if you have trouble with one particular matchup, play the character you are having trouble with for a while. That will help you deal with that character's playstyle because you can sense better what they are going to do in certain situations, and you will have a better grasp of their weaknesses.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
DK Sheik Mario Marth

Maybe Peach Samus Pit

Crin

Smash Rookie
I feel like floaties are decently hard for him as he can't juggle them as well. Could just be me not able to deal with them properly. I'm still fairly new to competitive Smash.

Marth is definitely in Marth's favor. Anyone with a lot of projectile spam, like Sheik, Mario, and Pit.

And personally, I have issues versus Game & Watch and Wario. Could just be me playing either match-up poorly. Anyone have tips I can use?

Landonio

Smash Rookie
Need help against heavy zoners/spammers. Played a Mario that literally sit back and spammed fireballs the entire game and just down smashed whenever I got in close. Rinse, repeat. He destroyed me. I have a way easier time against aggressive Marios. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Need help against heavy zoners/spammers. Played a Mario that literally sit back and spammed fireballs the entire game and just down smashed whenever I got in close. Rinse, repeat. He destroyed me. I have a way easier time against aggressive Marios. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jab the fireballs while wavedashing to approach.

Risky

Smash Ace
I think Roy beats Mario. Roy can combo the **** out of him safely (which few characters can do) and has a really strong grab game. If you're playing a swordie and can't clank fireballs something is wrong. Learn the trajectories when he shoots them and play patiently. There's no need to rush, Mario can't approach you either. You can often duck under them if you space properly and get a free Dtilt. His CC game isn't nearly as relevant if you space, as he'll get hit far enough that the Dsmash won't reach you. Controlling center stage is very important as being backed into a corner against fireballs is a total nightmare.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
I think Roy beats Mario. Roy can combo the **** out of him safely (which few characters can do) and has a really strong grab game. If you're playing a swordie and can't clank fireballs something is wrong. Learn the trajectories when he shoots them and play patiently. There's no need to rush, Mario can't approach you either. You can often duck under them if you space properly and get a free Dtilt. His CC game isn't nearly as relevant if you space, as he'll get hit far enough that the Dsmash won't reach you. Controlling center stage is very important as being backed into a corner against fireballs is a total nightmare.
I disagree with this opinion. I think the MU is in Marios favor but winnable as Roy. fireballs are clankable but the doesnt mean that it's a sure-fired solution. You say mario cant approach you but with the use of smart fireballs and positioning Mario can often put you in really bad spots. Nair/Bair/Dsmash all come out incredibly fast so it can be easy to catch Roy out inbetween some of his chasing combos. I think you're undercutting the strengths of Mario and what he can do if in the right hands. Not to mention Mario practically has a chain grab from 0-60% on Roy. This MU can easily be lost by Roy if you aren't playing smart.

On the other side of the coin, Roy can can combo Mario pretty well when you get in with grabs or Dtilts. Although, It's really easy to get interrupted by a Nair or Bair though if you don't know the exact depths and timings of Roy's combo game

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Beating a zoner Mario is easy.

Beating a Mario who uses fireballs as an approach tool and knows what he's doing with the rest of his kit as well is significantly less easy, but still very doable. I think Marth has a better time of it in this matchup for several reasons, but I don't think the Roy-Mario matchup is any worse than even.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Beating a zoner Mario is easy.

Beating a Mario who uses fireballs as an approach tool and knows what he's doing with the rest of his kit as well is significantly less easy, but still very doable. I think Marth has a better time of it in this matchup for several reasons, but I don't think the Roy-Mario matchup is any worse than even.
Roy's ftilt and dtilt are really useful vs mario and since roy can play more aggressive it is easier to catch mario off guard.

Marth is good at making character's play at his pace, but mario is better. Because of this, I feel like you have to be able to get in against mario which roy is better at.

Risky

Smash Ace
I disagree with this opinion. I think the MU is in Marios favor but winnable as Roy. fireballs are clankable but the doesnt mean that it's a sure-fired solution. You say mario cant approach you but with the use of smart fireballs and positioning Mario can often put you in really bad spots. Nair/Bair/Dsmash all come out incredibly fast so it can be easy to catch Roy out inbetween some of his chasing combos. I think you're undercutting the strengths of Mario and what he can do if in the right hands. Not to mention Mario practically has a chain grab from 0-60% on Roy. This MU can easily be lost by Roy if you aren't playing smart.

On the other side of the coin, Roy can can combo Mario pretty well when you get in with grabs or Dtilts. Although, It's really easy to get interrupted by a Nair or Bair though if you don't know the exact depths and timings of Roy's combo game
Solutions to Fireball are many. Powershield, full jump, clank, dash dance, crouching, platforms, whatever else I'm missing. You need to vary your options so he feels less safe throwing them out so often and won't know how you're going to respond each time, making his followups less effective. Fireballs are by far most deadly when you're forced into a tech situation, as it basically guarantees a followup at no risk. You really need to either avoid getting knocked down, or really pay attention to what they're going for when you get up (often fulljump Fireball and they come down with it) and avoid that followup.

You should never get Nair'd of Bair'd by Mario out of any combo. That's the main point I wanted to make in my last post. Roy can safely combo Mario, unlike most of the cast. You can definitely space all of your aerials to make Nair next to irrelevant. Dsmash can be outspaced, or you can Nair/Dtilt him out of CC when you expect it.

The chaingrab I can't comment on, wasn't aware of that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom