• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does PM Have Better Balance Than Melee?

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
DISCUSSION TOPIC

If Certain PM Characters Are Truly Broken, How/Why Are They Broken Compared To Melee's Roster (a game where only half, if that, of it's roster is even viable and relies on unintended technical exploits) What Makes Melee Characters More Well Balanced & If It Was Up To You, How Would You Balance The Roster Or Aspects Of The Game?

Lengthy Post Ahead:
THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO PROVE A POINT, JUST START A DISCUSSION.

So a lot of Melee players I play against in PM tend to complain how too many of the characters are brain-dead stupidly broken (even though just earlier they say people who complain about such things when it comes to characters like Shiek are just bad players)

Lets take Link for example, people are usually infuriated with this matchup because of his reliance on his projectile spamming, and how this is dumb because it's an auto-win. I often make the counter argument that it's not any different from how Fox works; all link has to do is press buttons, so does Fox. (though at a much faster rate) The counter argument is often that Fox takes a lot more work, but Link takes effort too. There's a lot more thought and effort into making sure you cover as many approach options as possible while making sure you don't make yourself vulnerable (cuz every one of his projectiles leaves him VERY open)cuz if your projectile pressure isn't air tight it's very easy to punish Link. His close range attacks are ONLY good for stringing together punishment combos, but not anything else, if an opponent manages to find their way in then he doesn't have nearly as many options to fend them off (without getting repedetive) compared to other characters.

And people will say that all he does is throw boomerang, if he really is doing nothing but spamming JUST the boomerang, I'm sorry but that's not the games fault it's your own for not being able to figure out how to get around the problem, because there is a solution. I will always stand by my claim when I say Fox is stupid, but at the same time I will acknowledge that he is still beatable and it's my own fault for not figuring out how to deal with him instead of blaming it on the game.

The PMDT have the unfortunate task of taking a cast of 41 characters being able to compete on as even on a possible playing field, and their source game is one that only has a handful of viable characters that are only like that due to unintended technical exploits within their game. Imagine trying to make a game meant for speed running, except you HAVE to make the main mechanics based on flaws in the games programming, yet still somehow make it a challenging and engaging. Now try to make that game competitively viable. That's the daunting task, from a game design perspective, that the PMDT has to do with character balancing and they don't have many other frames of references to draw from, not even other fighting games. So naturally, quirky things are going to come up.

But hows the fact that some characters have gimmicks, differ from the fact that melee characters have gimmicks as well? Or can you do a lot more with Melee characters than PM?

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
you really didn't need to write an essay to ask people if a game with an active dev team is more balanced than one that doesn't have one

Top Bottom