• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does PKT2 have too low a priority?

VeronEF

Smash Rookie
Let me preface this by saying that P:M has been a source of tremendous enjoyment for both me and my roommates. We were never into vBrawl the way we get excited over P:M. This is a much better game than either vBrawl or Melee as is and the devs should be very proud of what they have done. Thank you for that. Although I don't consider myself an expert, I have played P:M quite a bit in friendlies.

It seems like Ness is awfully susceptible to being spiked when he recovers, even if he's in the middle of a PKT2. Should Ness' recovery be treated like other recoveries in terms of priority considering that they have more steps to go through? Ness has two chances to be gimped during his Up-B--once during the setup and once during the actual execution. Do you think Ness should have more protection against edgeguarding? I feel like every character ought to have a weakness, but Ness' weakness is glaring when you look at his recovery vs everyone else's. Although his recovery was buffed a lot from vBrawl, I think this is the single thing that keeps him from being top tier in P:M. I think it's silly, for instance, that Marth can spike me out of a PKT2. I would understand if it was Ganon's dair, for instance, but it seems like just about everything beats PKT2. What are your techniques for not getting spiked? How do you avoid being edgeguarded?

Is it possible to cancel out of an aerial PK Fire/Fair? It would almost be the perfect defense against getting edgeguarded if it didn't leave me unable to grab the ledge. I may just be terrible at this game. That is quite possible. I just can't shake the feeling the Ness' PKT2 is weaker than it should be.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
In the transition to 2.5, Ness received large amounts of small tweaks to his main problems, PKT2 being one of them. While now it doesnt have fantastic priority, I've pretty sure the Hitbox is no longer on his butt, and is in front of him now.

Its still not a perfect recovery but its not as bad as it could be.

I think in the Ness survival tips and tricks thread there is a discussion on PKT2 mix-ups and recovering high vs sweet-spotting.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I actually don't think this is a problem. Too many characters in PM have too safe recoveries...ness's actually has some mix up potential and is probably safe enough. Spiking has never really been a problem for me, as you can recover from high, or shoot yourself at interesting angles to avoid it. The only part of his recovery I think that could use tweaking is that hitting opponents with his up b should not send him in special fall. Someone jumping into your pk thunder should hurt you, but it shouldn't cost you a stock in and of itself. I think you should have a cool down on pk thunder and if someone jumps into it, you can do it again a bit after using it once. You should only go into special fall after PKT2.

Top Bottom