• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Pit Benefit From the New Shield Mechanics in any way?

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
I've been very scared now that the new patch came out, worrying that I might have to drop Pit. Do the shield changes help or hurt Pit? I really need to know this. Thank you.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Regardless of whether they hurt or help pit I wouldn't drop him.

Imo they help him and hurt him in the same why as every other character. simply, His moves are safer on shield and its harder for him to punish someone after shielding. Specifically, nair is safe on shield now. Err people probably can't grab him out of his jab anymore and some other stuff I probably can't think off.

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
Yeah, I agree. It's still too early to drop a main. I've just got to stick to how the meta develops, and if there comes a time to switch because they're bad now, then I will. Most likely won't though, because I love Pit.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Yeah, I agree. It's still too early to drop a main. I've just got to stick to how the meta develops, and if there comes a time to switch because they're bad now, then I will. Most likely won't though, because I love Pit.
Don't even worry about the meta man xD, If you are good enough then tier lists dont mean a thing.

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
Don't even worry about the meta man xD, If you are good enough then tier lists dont mean a thing.
I know, but I wanna win, so I pick the highest tier characters that I actually like. They happen to be Mario and Pit for top/high tiers I like, so I co-main them.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I main Pit and so far I haven't noticed much of a difference. I can feel the new shield mechanics' effect but it's not such a massive change that it changes the way the entire game plays. Pit still has good tools and options to help him out, he's still nimble as hell, his arrows make for great long range pokes, and his recovery is still out of this world.

If anything I'd say that he might even be helped a little more than being hindered by the change, since his most powerful moves like Side Smash were easily punishable out of shield before, but NOW your opponent really has no choice but to sit in shield and block the hit if you throw one of those out.

Pit's moves are quick, but they're not as quick as Shiek's or Mario's, so having the extra little bit of push on an opponent's shield due to how powerful some of them can be is not a bad thing, and his grab game is still as strong as ever.

I wouldn't worry. He's barely been touched in terms of his properties as a character since 1.0.0, and he's remained, imo, the most well rounded character out of the whole cast, sitting at a solid 'B' Tier since the game first came out. So even if the shield mechanics have changed, he's still got the good stuff he always had.

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
I main Pit and so far I haven't noticed much of a difference. I can feel the new shield mechanics' effect but it's not such a massive change that it changes the way the entire game plays. Pit still has good tools and options to help him out, he's still nimble as hell, his arrows make for great long range pokes, and his recovery is still out of this world.

If anything I'd say that he might even be helped a little more than being hindered by the change, since his most powerful moves like Side Smash were easily punishable out of shield before, but NOW your opponent really has no choice but to sit in shield and block the hit if you throw one of those out.

Pit's moves are quick, but they're not as quick as Shiek's or Mario's, so having the extra little bit of push on an opponent's shield due to how powerful some of them can be is not a bad thing, and his grab game is still as strong as ever.

I wouldn't worry. He's barely been touched in terms of his properties as a character since 1.0.0, and he's remained, imo, the most well rounded character out of the whole cast, sitting at a solid 'B' Tier since the game first came out. So even if the shield mechanics have changed, he's still got the good stuff he always had.
That's good. I guess we'll just have to see how the new meta plays out.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
They didn't really change too much except for some weird alterations to Ganondorf and Luigi as far as I know. I doubt the Meta will change too much during this patch.

I do fully expect character balances to be back in full force when the next characters come out. We can only hope then for severe Shiek nerfs.

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
They didn't really change too much except for some weird alterations to Ganondorf and Luigi as far as I know. I doubt the Meta will change too much during this patch.

I do fully expect character balances to be back in full force when the next characters come out. We can only hope then for severe Shiek nerfs.
Actually, this changes the meta quite a bit because now there are a lot of things safe on shield, making for aggressive play thriving.
I don't mind if Shiek is nerfed. Pit has an even matchup with her anyways.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
A fresh Fsmash with a few frames of charge will link both hits on shield, making it significantly less punishable.

Rapid jab on a slightly weakened shield can lead to a shield stab pretty easily.

All his other multihit moves besides maybe Utilt definitely can't be escaped if shielded, making them significantly safer.

Nair may be safe on shield... Dsmash might also be safe on shield to some extent.

Due to some weird numbers I don't understand, small projectiles aren't as safe on shield. In all likelyhood it's a net gain for Pit.

Also strange is that stunning moves don't inflict any shield stun anymore, making them hilariously unsafe on shield. But electrical attacks on the other hand do crazy amounts of stun. (No, Electroshock isn't safe on shield.) So ZSS loses and gains but might be much easier for us to handle, but now Pika might be problematic...

Lucario gets the shield break thing with Aura Sphere, but I don't think it'll be relevant as it's both escapable and hard to land in the first place. And if you thought Pit had any problem with Marth or Roy before the patch, well, their sourspots lost a ton of safety. Meaning Marth might "randomly" be very punishable, and Roy won't be safe at all unless he gets in. Roy getting in on Pit I don't see happening any time soon, so yeah...

Honestly, all that matters for us is that ZSS is potentially a better matchup, maybe removing Pit's biggest problem from before, and Pika might be bad now, maybe giving him another bad matchup to deal with. So it's still really hard to say right now.

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
So basically Pit got better, and the ZSS matchup may not be as bad. Pikachu might be worse though. Got it.

verbatim

Smash Ace
I wouldn't worry about it, it's a change, but it's not one that's going to move any matchup from say, neutral to loses outright. Some people get new safe on shield stuff, a select few get shield break combo's.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte

Well the most recent patch did affect several custom moves, so maybe it'll vaguely affect custom tournaments. And I say yes about nerfing Sheik, why hasn't that happened by now?

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't worry about it, it's a change, but it's not one that's going to move any matchup from say, neutral to loses outright. Some people get new safe on shield stuff, a select few get shield break combo's.
This is more what I meant to say I guess.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
Well the most recent patch did affect several custom moves, so maybe it'll vaguely affect custom tournaments. And I say yes about nerfing Sheik, why hasn't that happened by now?
I don't even mind Shiek staying as the best character in the game, but surely someone at Nintendo has realized that she has an absurd amount of options that are nigh unpunishable. Fighting Shiek is so hard for EVERYONE.

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
I don't even mind Shiek staying as the best character in the game, but surely someone at Nintendo has realized that she has an absurd amount of options that are nigh unpunishable. Fighting Shiek is so hard for EVERYONE.
While she probably should be nerfed, Shiek is definitely the LEAST ridiculous of all the broken best characters across every smash game. :pikachu64::foxmelee:, and :metaknight: are all definitely more broken then:4sheik: is in her current state.

FMHappy

Smash Cadet
Well, yes and no. It's hard to time a punish off the final hit properly due to the multihit nature. CPUs most certainly punish it, but people? That's not something I see often. If you do get it, chances are that you were just lucky.
Thanks for the reply, another question though, what about Pit's nair and jab, are they safe on shield?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Thanks for the reply, another question though, what about Pit's nair and jab, are they safe on shield?
Nair is okay, has to be a cross up to really be safe and only if their OOS options aren't great. Jab I'm not entirely sure about... By default I mix up how I jab on shield. Pretty sure it's safe if spaced right.

Mr. ShinyUmbreon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0576-7060-3860
When your opponent is on a platform above you, I've noticed that Up smash and Up-air do significantly more shield pressure, but other than that, I don't see much that is different about Pit.

SHATT3R

Smash Rookie
NNID
LagasaurusRex_2
I remember seeing something a while back about pressuring shields with rising D-airs. Maybe that's better with added shield stun?

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Nair is okay, has to be a cross up to really be safe and only if their OOS options aren't great. Jab I'm not entirely sure about... By default I mix up how I jab on shield. Pretty sure it's safe if spaced right.
Nair seems safe (under certain conditions e.g fast fall and spaced) What do you think?

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Yeah, it's actually -5 before shield drop under perfect conditions.

Oh yeah, Fsmash isn't a blockstring outside of maybe max freshness and charge. Dream is ded lol.
I never really got the -5 thing, mind giving me a quick summary? I assume it means Pit has a 5 frame advantage to act before the opponent, am I correct in thinking so?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I never really got the -5 thing, mind giving me a quick summary? I assume it means Pit has a 5 frame advantage to act before the opponent, am I correct in thinking so?
Minus five means the opponent acts first, actually. Of course there's very few moves that come out fast enough to punish it and it can't be perfect shielded, so yeah. Shield drop is... Uh, don't remember right now. But Pit's grab is frame 6, and Jab/Dsmash is 5, and dashing away is essentially frame 1 I think...

Lol I'm way overthinking this. The move is crazy safe and can't be perfect shielded. Range is terrible though, but besides that the move is extremely slept on. Pretty sure Sheik can't punish it, although ZSS... Might not be able to? Depends on how big the first hitbox of Boost Kick is, and there's other factors that can potentially increase our safety further. I need to hardcore lab this sometime...

Top Bottom