• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Pikachu has problems to connect a smash attack ?

Felth

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion Pikachu has serious problems to onnect a smash attack. Perhaps most of this material will be related with the Pikachu Set Ups Thread. Dispite of that I think that this topic deserves it's own post.

Comment and propose any good situations or set ups that can help Pikachu to connect any smash.

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
Fast fall fair to upsmash is a good combo. I don't think anybody really truly knows if this is guaranteed or not, and at what percentage it can be done at, but it seems to work. Someone needs to test the percentages though. I might do it some day.

Last edited:

NachoThePikachu

Smash Cadet
NNID
NachoThePikachu
^ I use this all the time and it always works, no matter how high the percent, as long as the FF Fair drags the opponent down and doesn't hit them sideways. I WOULD consider this a very reliable strategy if it weren't for how easily it can be punished. FF Fair can be shield-grabbed, completely destroying the approach. Even if the Fair hits, the following Usmash can STILL be perfect shielded; This is not a true combo. I use the FF Fair into Usmash SO often that I know just about every flaw it has, sadly. However, if it's not read or shielded, it DOES give you a good opportunity to Usmash. I get kills off of many unsuspecting players this way. But don't use it too much, as it is easy to learn and defend against. ono"

Uncle Honey

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if anybody has hit the lab with it for the exact angles and numbers, but it doesn't work all the time (e.g. Smashcon Esam v Zero w.finals game 5). It's dependent on who lands first, how much hit stun then landing lag the opponent has, and what angle you hit them at initially.

Last edited:

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
Besides the admittedly useful Fair FF > Usmash, we simply don't have the standard all-in-one "sort-of-big quick kill smash" that a lot of other characters have, like the Dsmashes of the Mario Bros., Swordies, Fox, etc. etc. etc. Even Ike and 'Zard have those, haha. Pika wound up with an Usmash that is short and only hits in the front, Fsmash that is too slow to use as a punish in most instances, and Dsmash that is HUGE and fast but refuses to kill at all. We just have to work with what we have, which is a bunch of situational responses to specific events.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Aside from FF f-air to u-smash, the only way I reliably connect a smash attack is by gauging the opponent's aggressiveness and f-smashing their face as they dash at me, or accidentally land right in front of me.

D

Deleted member

You really want to create a setup for a smash attack or get a correct read and go for a smash attack. Fairs are good at setting up any smash attack and the down smash, although not his best smash attack, is a good anti air. If you go for a nair (but don't fast fall), you have a situation where Pikachu can follow up with a forward smash.

The problem with Pikachu's smash attacks is that they are kinda unsafe on shield; I sometimes get punished when my forward smash gets shielded.

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
Shield drop down smash is a great punish against people who need grabs, since it covers dash and pivot grabs.

Top Bottom